Starfield - New Info - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Starfield - New Info

Default Starfield - New Info

November 28th, 2020, 04:49
DSOGaming reports that Todd Howard has shared some more details about Starfield.

Todd Howard has shared some new details about Bethesda's next big project, Starfield. According to Howard, Starfield will be solely a singleplayer, and it won't have any multiplayer modes. In addition, Bethesda aims to implement major overhauls to the Creation Engine.

Going into more details, Bethesda will overhaul the rendering, animation, and Artificial Intelligence & Pathing of the Creation Engine. Moreover, it will add support for Procedural Generation (something that will help its artists create bigger worlds).

In Starfield and in future games, NPCs will play a large role. For instance, players can expect cities to be expansive and large compared to past games. Additionally, Starfield will be on Game Pass from Day 1 alongside The Elder Scrolls 6.

[…]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)

November 28th, 2020, 04:58
Old news I shared this on November 5th in my news thread.
  • Starfield is a singleplayer, no multiplayer aspects.
  • A focus on procedural generation during level design confirmed for Starfield and TES:VI
    • This is a tool for developers to create massive landmass and does not mean the land will be randomly generated in real time like No Man's Sky, meaning your game will look the exact same as everyone else. This is simply an engine tool to create larger worlds, so expect Starfield (planets?) to be much larger than Fallout 76's map (clarification: speculative), which is already four times bigger than Skyrim. YOUR ELDER SCROLLS/STARFIELD MAP WILL LOOK THE EXACT SAME AS EVERYONE ELSE, THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT THE MAP WILL BE RANDOMLY GENERATED.
  • **Huge major overhaul to the Creation Engine - larger than the jump from Morrowind to Oblivion ("**when people see the results, hopefully they'd be as happy as we are.")
    • Rendering
    • Animation
    • Artificial Intelligence & Pathing
    • Procedural Generation
    • And more areas.
  • It's going to be a while until we see Starfield, the release can be subject to delays etc. so he really doesn't feel comfortable talking about it yet.
    • He doesn't want to reveal Starfield earlier and just release teasers until the eventual release like Cyberpunk.
  • NPCs will play a large role in future games, cities will be expansive and large compared to past games, etc.
  • Will be on Game Pass from Day 1 alongside ES:VI.
  • Bethesda will continue to support mod support in the future.
  • Amount of developers are at least 4x - 5x larger than they were when they worked on Skyrim and Fallout 4. Starfield is going to be big.
    • Bethesda Games Studio Dallas, Maryland and Montreal are working on Starfield.
    • Bethesda Games Austin is in charge of Fallout 76's post-development with the Brotherhood of Steel expansion update coming this December.
If were lucky we might see some footage and more details next year.
--
"Facts are stubborn things, and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)

November 28th, 2020, 09:27
"Additionally, Starfield will be on Game Pass from Day 1 alongside The Elder Scrolls 6."
Well, sadly, as I no longer trust the franchise, given the Micro$$$$oft takeover, if it's going to be purely GamePass only, then I'm afraid that they can stick them both where the sun doesn't shine…

Hoping to be proved wrong though…

ZENIPOX

Mentioned: Post(s)

November 28th, 2020, 10:12
Beth games went from must-buy first-day-purchases to wait-and-see a long time ago. Maybe having been bought by MS helps actually.

I will never forget the feeling when I handed in my master thesis with Oblivion in my backpack and couldn't wait to install it for the first time.

Darkheart

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

November 28th, 2020, 11:06
It looks like they are heading back in the right direction, crossing fingers.

It's funny to see the care that the market takes to avoid Cyberpunk's shadow.

Originally Posted by Darkheart View Post
I will never forget the feeling when I handed in my master thesis with Oblivion in my backpack and couldn't wait to install it for the first time.
That's cruel and should be forbidden! And you still had to present it?
I remember Quake being released in June, during the exams. Thankfully it had leaked (unfinished) a few months before, which made the wait more bearable.

Yes, the time I'd blindly pre-order from trusted developers/publishers is long gone, as is buying a product from a renowned brand. Checking reviews first is a must.

Redglyph

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
+1:

November 28th, 2020, 11:18
Still hoping for a surprise release for Starfield or ES6 as they did with Skyrim.

vidder

Sentinel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

November 28th, 2020, 12:11
Artificial Intelligence & Pathing
What is starting to creep me out is how realistic the attacking grizzly bear was in Arthdal Chronicles (2019). All of stupid Hollywoods SHT CGI is was easily recognizable as stupid and lame CGI. Yet the Koreans managed to make hyperrealistic animals on a budget… The bear was so good, I could only recognize it was CGI by how it behaved / played its role. :-OooOo

So, if such level of CGI is coming to games too in 5-10 years, we will have complete CGI actresses / NPCs and we won't be able to distinguish them from a real person.
--
SSI Gold Box-style game, we are working on.

mercy

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

November 28th, 2020, 14:28
Originally Posted by vidder View Post
Still hoping for a surprise release for Starfield or ES6 as they did with Skyrim.
How was Skyrim's release a surprise?

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)

November 28th, 2020, 15:06
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
How was Skyrim's release a surprise?
Wasn´t it Skyrim which was "announced" and then released 2 month after? Maybe i remembered that wrong..

vidder

Sentinel

November 28th, 2020, 15:19
Wasn´t it Skyrim which was "announced" and then released 2 month after? Maybe i remembered that wrong..
Was it? I honestly don't remember. I do recall Fallout 4 being released just a few months after it was announced.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

November 28th, 2020, 15:31
Wasn‚´t it Skyrim which was "announced" and then released 2 month after? Maybe i remembered that wrong..
If I remember correctly, Skyrim was released a year after its announcement (when pre-orders were available).

SpoonFULL

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
+1:

November 28th, 2020, 15:47
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Was it? I honestly don't remember. I do recall Fallout 4 being released just a few months after it was announced.
Ah yes, it probably was Fallout 4 then.

vidder

Sentinel

November 28th, 2020, 15:53
Todd warned that it would be the norm going ahead, so we'll see.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)

November 28th, 2020, 16:39
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
So, if such level of CGI is coming to games too in 5-10 years, we will have complete CGI actresses / NPCs and we won't be able to distinguish them from a real person.
Still waiting for this.

Telstar

CRPG lover

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

November 28th, 2020, 17:17
Not having any multiplayer mode is IMHO a BIG PLUS!!
--
Sou tricolor de corao!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jger!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
+1:

November 28th, 2020, 17:30
Starfield maybe but not ES6.
Bethesda Games Studio Dallas, Maryland and Montreal are working on Starfield.
Ah yes, it probably was Fallout 4 then.
It was Fallout 4 Todd announced it at E3 and it was released soon after the event.
Originally Posted by henriquejr View Post
Not having any multiplayer mode is IMHO a BIG PLUS!!
Not surprised as that's what Zenimax Online is used for. From what I remember that studio is working on a new SyFy MMO RPG game right now. Maye a Starfield MMO?
--
"Facts are stubborn things, and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

+1:

November 28th, 2020, 19:22
IIRC, Skyrim was announced in around mid 2011 (June?) and released on 11/11/11. So a pretty quick turnaround. No delays.

Edit: Nope, my recollection was wrong. It was announced at the Spike Awards in December 2010. I think it took a while for my hype to engage with Skyrim. I was disappointed that they went with Nords.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

November 28th, 2020, 19:39
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
IIRC, Skyrim was announced in around mid 2011 (June?) and released on 11/11/11. So a pretty quick turnaround. No delays.

Edit: Nope, my recollection was wrong. It was announced at the Spike Awards in December 2010. I think it took a while for my hype to engage with Skyrim. I was disappointed that they went with Nords.
Early info suggest Readguards this time or Hammerfell again. I read a good article on this topic a few months back, about Bethesda running out of locations due to the MMO.

I would love to see an RPG set during pre-Empire.
--
Last edited by Couchpotato; November 28th, 2020 at 20:08. Reason: Autocorrect strikes again.

Couchpotato

Laziest Man Alive

November 28th, 2020, 21:33
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post

It was FO4 that was announced in June and released in November.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

November 29th, 2020, 06:43
I wonder how much the success of The Outer Worlds inspired and informed Bethesda's efforts with Starfield?

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Starfield - New Info