HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Redglyph spotted the winter update for Solasta: Crown of the Magister:

Early Access Winter Update - Solasta: Crown of the Magister

Hey there folks!

Welcome to Solasta's Winter Update! With the addition of the new Monastery Questline, the Early Access should now reach 12h - 14h of total game time. We've also taken action regarding the most popular requests, such as adding more customization options and changing the lighting system which was deemed too punitive (we've reverted the rules back to the 5e tabletop ruleset). Hope you enjoy!
More information.

I'm playing it. It's quite good, in fact, I think I am enjoying the EA version of it even more than I am enjoying my BG3 experience. It's a very "old school" feeling D&D kinda turn-based game with updated 2020 graphics, user interface, etc. It just updated in my Steam account and I'm looking forward to seeing what's new.

Played it a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I'll do a replay later, but I don't like to over-do EA as then I'm worn out by the time the full game releases. Same with BG3!!

Played it a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I'll do a replay later, but I don't like to over-do EA as then I'm worn out by the time the full game releases. Same with BG3!!

This! Very nice game, with good potential. 3 playthroughs for me at this stage, and will wait for more updates and might have another go soon

Anyone playing this?
It seems like it could have lots of potential and I'm finishing off deus ex HR

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I have played it on the release date. This game was really good back then. It looks like that with this new update it is going to be even better!

Yeah..yeah…I'm sure an Early Access game is great. Just let me know in a news-bit when it's finished and out of Early Access. I'll finally play it then. So sayeth this jackass.:cool:

I've also spent some time in it. It's very fun, but the scale is of course not the same as big companies' games. There are issues but I haven't been blocked, or haven't crashed.

There is a feeling of casual tabletop-sim game, for ex. you see the board squares in combat, XCOM-like, the characters make comments on one another's move sometimes, as if they were playing a game (but only in combat, otherwise they're pretty much in character). There are the dice rolls, it's turn-based combat, you can also dice-roll your initial stats if you like.

The game combat mechanics is where it shines. It's mostly faithful to 5E (yet more since this post), and the UI makes it very clear to use. But the races & classes are not all there, and no multiclassing.

Maps are nicely done, with more verticality in some of them, and more dark & light play. But they feel more "rigid". You can still light wall torches, open doors and there are some puzzles, but "moving parts" are placed manually, it's not embedded in the game DNA like D:OS.

The story is not heavy and it's their own setting since they don't own the full D&D licence. I'll be cautious and say it's there, though it's not yet the strongest point. TA like the story side, so it won't be a hack&slash game, but it probably won't be a NWN/PoE. It's all voice-acted.

There are a few creative features, for ex. now there are scavengers to fetch and bring back your loot and sell it. They take 20%, but you don't have to carry all the junk, I just love the idea :D

(oops, did a long post again)

This looks like some techdemo for graphics.. Though, even I could do better water on Wii, 11 years ago.. :D Nevertheless creature animations are nice and we are watching this game to be played When Its Done, DLC-ed, patched, modded, GameOfYeared and no longer in development.

Well, I got the game in the end. It's the kind of devs I like to send monies to for future development.

Game is a bit rough at the moment, but it can probably shape up pretty nicely. I'm only 2 quests in but combat is fun and the encounters are quite well done. Although I stand no chance if not for the initial surprise round on some of these.

Story seems very LOTRish for now, but let's see how it goes.

I haven't had too much time to play the game, but I have to say it's better than I expected it to be.

The only thing is that it's more of a dungeon crawler with dnd ruleset than a true rpg in my opinion at this point.

The only reason to go to town is to buy and sell equipment and essentially watch "cutscenes".

Combat is great though.

I have a feeling the number of games that qualify as being "true RPGs" to you is quite small. :)
Well think of it like this. Some people make it very broad and I don't.

However, I think this game is closer to a game like dungeon rats than age of decadence.

If you think this is an rpg then so is dungeon rats.

To me neither are.

There's almost nothing you can point to in this game that is more than dungeon rats other than the systems used.

Well think of it like this. Some people make it very broad and I don't.
What's the difference for you between "true RPG", "RPG", and what Solasta is?

For my part I feel Solasta still lacks substance, there is a main quest and a story, though it mainly lives in short dialog exchanges and some videos. Maybe it needs sidequests to bring the world around more alive. But it's still a CRPG to me, because I don't have criteria on the depth of story, or how much the player is involved in the world through quests or NPC dialogs. I usually classify such games as "CRPG with weak/strong story", for example (but that's just me).

For me an RPG is more than just party creation and combat. Currently that's what Solasta is. Those elements are really good, but I have no agency at all. It's a linear romp (At least to the point where I am). To me roleplaying also is about affecting the story, making an impact.

Think of it this way. DnD tabletop with a DM. Imagine if all the DM allowed you to do was to create a party and then fight monsters and in-between fights would tell you a bit of background about the story and why you're fighting.

I'm not an expert at tabletop DnD at all, but every time I played my character had agency in how they would go into a situation. They would be able to slightly affect the story. I had one DM who allowed my character to get a job to find more information about the enemy, by working as a dockworker. Another game, I was stealthy and looked for a sewer entrance and almost died doing so.

I know games can't allow me to change everything, I'm not asking for that. But if all you're offering is combat after combat with a bit of choice on loot then to me it's not an RPG. Especially not if you can't even pick which dungeons you're going to. Solasta has currently told me to go to one place after another, with literally no choice at all.

In that sense, I would much more consider Might and Magic 7 an RPG than Solasta. At the very least (After the initial island) I can decide to go anywhere almost. Yes, I may die, but I have the option to just travel around the maps and explore. MM7 even allows you to pick between light and dark paths which slightly alter the storyline and locations.

Solasta literally only allows me to go to one open place at a time. I have no choice or impact at all on anything other than a couple of minor sidequests. It literally is a dungeon crawler at the moment, without an actual dungeon. A map crawler.

It's a very fun game and I'm enjoying it, but to me (and I know JDR may disagree and others too), this is not an RPG.

I think calling everything under the sun an RPG just makes it hard to understand what I'm playing.

On the other hand, I think it has the potential to become an RPG. It's just in early access, it has many months to complete and maybe they will add a lot more content to make it different.

For reference, in recent games, I'd consider BG3 and PKM RPGs.
They both have everything I feel RPGs should have, which include but probably is not limited to :
- Extensive character options
- Character build impacts on game
- Character agency (ability to impact the game in multiple ways) and feeling that impact (e.g. characters speaking of how you've done something)
- Exploration (non-linear)
- Multiple in-game systems to affect character builds (items, spells, skills)

Also, I may call other games RPGs or action-RPGs when they mostly meet my criteria. An example of this for me would be Gothic. It achieves almost all of the criteria, but becomes very linear after Chapter 3. I'd call Gothic 2 more of an RPG for that reason. However, both do miss out on the ability to play "my" character - only the nameless hero.
Again it doesn't mean I didn't love the game, just that to me it's slightly less of a true RPG.

In another instance, The Witcher, the inability to make the character my own (i.e. Geralt is a womaniser and speaks like a brute) made it very hard to play, not to speak there's very little in the way of affecting the build due to having to play with a silver sword.

Hope that clarifies my view.

Thanks for clarifying! :)

I understand what you mean, playing a role but being restricted to a predetermined path removes a lot of freedom.

I hope we'll see more of that in Solasta but I doubt it, at least in this first game. They've already said they wouldn't have different endings because it would cost too much in voice acting, and I suppose this limitation also means no or very little choice in the story line.

Some fans said they needn't put a voice on all the texts, but that's a promise they made during the Kickstarter campaign.

Still, as you said, it's fun to play, and I'm glad to see that what they set out to do, they do it with care and passion. It will be interesting to see how they develop the story, and what they would do next if this game is a success.

Thanks for clarifying! :)

I understand what you mean, playing a role but being restricted to a predetermined path removes a lot of freedom.

I hope we'll see more of that in Solasta but I doubt it, at least in this first game. They've already said they wouldn't have different endings because it would cost too much in voice acting, and I suppose this limitation also means no or very little choice in the story line.

Some fans said they needn't put a voice on all the texts, but that's a promise they made during the Kickstarter campaign.

Still, as you said, it's fun to play, and I'm glad to see that what they set out to do, they do it with care and passion. It will be interesting to see how they develop the story, and what they would do next if this game is a success.
Yes, it seems like the systems are all in place. So hopefully they can make some expansion later or a sequel with more options.

I don't need the game to be fully voice acted either. I don't see that as a positive if it detracts from everything else.

Back
Top Bottom