Solasta - Released

Yes, I wonder how they'll tackle that part, and all the logic for the quests, map locations, and so on, that should also require some amount of scripting (either with a language like Lua, or visually with charts).

I searched a little bit, that was the Aurora toolset, right? It seems quite straightforward, but gets probably more complex when scripting is required (as usual).

Right.

Creating a simple combat module was pretty easy. But creating a full-fleged MMO was something else :)

Already looking at the Circle of Eight Modpack.

*Ponders*

No. I can't. I just spent about two days planning my 5e characters for Solasta. I can't do the same again now for 3.5. It's a big can of worms. Productivity has been suffering enough as it is.

Edit:
By the way, what I really like about Solasta is that I can create my own party, that there is no "Chosen One" and that everyone still feels very much alive due to the party banter and voice acting. For most games of this kind ever since Baldur's Gate I had to pick and choose between fleshed out characters / companions that I never really cared about and silent husks that were mine but lifeless. I very much prefer this third option: full custom party with fleshed out characters and voiceovers based on class/background/personality.

Not sure how exactly it's done in Solasta, but so far it's been pretty neat.

This is without doubt the standout feature of the game by a long way at this point in my game.

There was one scene which made me literally laugh out loud, for quite a while, just from the delivery of the lines. And yet it's not at all parody, it's just how people in that situation would talk with those personalities.

I can't remember the exact phrasing, but:

As I had no Dwarf in the party, when I clicked on an interactable wall, the convo was, like, "Well, that's a stone wall", "yes, yes it is", "Shame none of us are Dwarves so we could know what's so nice about it", "Nice wall though", "Yup".

Well, it kind of is a tabletop game. ;)

Well, usually, when you play PnP DnD, each players control only one character. One player controlling all four characters is quite unusual ;-)

I'm lukewarm with the idea of no main character. Usually, it does help since there is a character with whom players may identify. It's hard to identify with a group of four characters. The way it's made in Solasta also has the problem that the different characters feel a bit generic. You won't have any Minsc or Jaheira, here. Still, it's
original and interesting.

Well, usually, when you play PnP DnD, each players control only one character. One player controlling all four characters is quite unusual ;-)

I'm lukewarm with the idea of no main character. Usually, it does help since there is a character with whom players may identify. It's hard to identify with a group of four characters. The way it's made in Solasta also has the problem that the different characters feel a bit generic. You won't have any Minsc or Jaheira, here. Still, it's
original and interesting.

You might get more interesting companions in such a scenario, but you're own character is always dry as a bone, like a clothes shop dummy wandering around in someone else's game. As such, I could certainly argue that, regarding the PC, even IWD has more 'alive' main character/s, even if there's no Mort or Minsc to distract you from this fact.

I can't remember the exact phrasing, but:

As I had no Dwarf in the party, when I clicked on an interactable wall, the convo was, like, "Well, that's a stone wall", "yes, yes it is", "Shame none of us are Dwarves so we could know what's so nice about it", "Nice wall though", "Yup".

Haha, yeah, that was great. I tried with a dwarf later on and this is the conversation if you're curious:
Rogue: What do you think?
Dwarf: Typical Manacalon architecture -
Dwarf: - the stonecutting is textbook -
Dwarf: - using this orange stone from the mountain.
Rogue: That's it? Orange stone?
Dwarf: I'm not answering that.

The delivery is really funny.

TOEE is basically a pure combat engine. It's a great one but it's essentially just that. There is little to no story or dialogs. You just do one battle after another. Personally, I need more than that to really enjoy a game. I eventually grew bored of the game after fighting one more room of seemingly random baddies. I think Solasta is a much more complete game and with the addition of the editor, it's very promising.

I don't think they're really that different tbh. You spend most of your time in combat in Solasta as well. I recall ToEE having slightly better enemy variety, but it's been a long time since I played it. Anyways, like anything else, a lot of it depends on how much you like the setting.

Think I'm going to wait for more patches before I play.:(

How easy is it to build a campaign for NWN? I've made some maps for Doom, Quake and similar action games, but I've never tried to build a CRPG campaign.
I can answer that my good man. Building the campaign is the easy part. Though I wont lie it's time consuming as you have to build each area, or import pre-built designs.

The part you will come to loath is writing the dialogue and inserting the scripts and triggers. I've gone crazy trying to figure out why certain scenes/events won't start.

Good thing there are a lot of mods you can incorporate to make your mod better. I've been using a ton of armor, weapon. monster, and landscape textures.

Last edited:
The part you will come to loath is writing the dialogue and inserting the scripts and triggers. I've gone crazy trying to figure out why certain scenes/events won't start.

Good thing there are a lot of mods you can incorporate to make your mod better. I've been using a ton of armor, weapon. monster, and landscape textures.
I'm not surprised it's the tricky part...

Sounds like you've spent some time on that! :)

I can confirm the game makes my laptop unusually hot. I only play in tiny chunks normally & spend about half an hour on each little scene, but the other day I continued playing for a couple of little scenes in a row and my keypad was like a small radiator.

I don't know if this is specifically unusual to this game, but I don't have any memory of any other games I've played on this laptop doing that to quite this extent.

I can confirm the game makes my laptop unusually hot. I only play in tiny chunks normally & spend about half an hour on each little scene, but the other day I continued playing for a couple of little scenes in a row and my keypad was like a small radiator.

I don't know if this is specifically unusual to this game, but I don't have any memory of any other games I've played on this laptop doing that to quite this extent.
What GPU do you have?

I'm trying to increase their awareness of this problem, since I've seen multiple reports (from the occasional GPU fan going full speed to system rebooting every 30 minutes of gameplay). This wasn't happening before a specific update of the Early Access, Spring Update I think.

Their QA haven't had this problem and can't easily reproduce it. They're probably quite busy with all the other issues, I'm starting to believe this release was rushed.

Some people were happier with those workarounds, you could try:
- changing "exclusive fullscreen" to "windowed fullscreen"
- changing the VSYNC to either disabled or double-buffering.

Sounds like a common Unity Engine problem. As every Unity RPG has caused my system to run hot. If you don't believe me just search Steam and Reddit for the same problem.

Or to put it simpler blame the game coders/developers.

I'm monitoring GPU temperatures and haven't had any issue so far.

I have:

Intel(R) HD Graphics 630
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti

I'll try your suggestions and see if it's any different. Also, as I say, I have no idea how hot my keypad is supposed to get anyway.

I have:

Intel(R) HD Graphics 630
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti

I'll try your suggestions and see if it's any different. Also, as I say, I have no idea how hot my keypad is supposed to get anyway.
It used to be the same level as ATOM RPG, Pathfinder, Encased, …

Before Sprint Update, I had a 980 Ti and I barely noticed the difference from the noise of the fan, and your GPU is built on 14nm instead of 28nm, it should be more efficient. I actually forgot it was running in the background once or twice (used to switch back & forth to report issues, answer messages or check the D&D rules). But it's not a laptop. If you're not deafened by the fans, maybe it's just normal.

Hm... so I'm having my first really annoying bug. In a conversation I can use the persuasion check. The option shows the char with the best persuasion value. But when I select the option actually another char answers and makes the persuasion check (and fails).

Is that aknown issue?

Back
Top Bottom