ROGUELIKE - The Battle for the definition

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
PC Gamer looks at the battle for the definition of a roguelike in the roguelike community.

[...]

"We had a perfectly fine term for this genre for a couple decades and there is a certain loss of identity when a mainstream majority starts using that term to mean something rather different and we can no longer use it to have the same meaning it once had, at least not without considering the audience," says Ge. "That's part of what got us here in the first place, that there is no one clear definition of what a roguelike is, so it's naturally evolving over time based on its use by different parties, and the speed of that evolution has accelerated considerably in the last five years!"

That point is echoed by Darren Grey, another moderator of the r/roguelike subreddit who also hosts the Roguelike Radio podcast. He made a point that forced me to consider how the emerging mainstream interpretation of the genre might be more incongruous with the original text than us normies fully understand. Grey was first drawn to roguelikes because he never had any interest in twitchy, input-heavy games. Not now, and not when he first started gaming. "I'm a conservative in terms of games I like. I have close to zero interest in anything that requires reflexes," he says. "Such games just don't do it for me, except maybe in social settings." With that in mind, consider how someone like Grey would receive Enter The Gungeon--a bullet hell gauntlet that asks for precise dodges, marksmanship, and cover negotiation--when it gets christened as a roguelike. If Grey considers that to be heresy, I'm not going to be the person who tells him he's wrong.

[...]
More information.

As long as you can get in the situation where you die and there is nothing else you can do about it, that is rogue-like.

But for my money, there is no community more insoluble than that of roguelike grognards.

They've not gone to rpg forums, have they ?

I enjoy some rogue likes but probably only the ones the purists don't really consider to be true ones like FTL and Slay The Spire. More recent fun one was Star Renegades.

I enjoy some rogue likes but probably only the ones the purists don't really consider to be true ones like FTL and Slay The Spire. More recent fun one was Star Renegades.

Same. I never tried STS, but I played FTL quite a bit when it was released.

My favorite though is Sword of the Stars: The Pit. I think it's pretty close to a true roguelike, but it's the only one like that I really enjoyed.

I don't know what counts as a roguelike, because the definition feels a bit obscure to me, basically "you suck and die because the game is tuned to be impossible to beat, but you slowly get upgrades through every run that get you to the point where you can win".

And by that definition, I feel Dungeons of Dredmor is the one I've had most fun with. I tend to enjoy roguelikes in general, if the mechanics and "progression" feel right. sometimes they even have a compelling story to tell, like the recentish Hades (another game I recommend!).

but you slowly get upgrades through every run that get you to the point where you can win".

That's something I noticed in more recent games but in most older roguelike, you didn't have any upgrade. You won because you got better at the game... or because or you got lucky with the dungeons :)

The one I remember playing the most was Angband. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angband_(video_game)

Yeah Dungeons of Dredmor itself didn't have any upgrades that carried over from one playthrough to the next. Only your experience and knowledge of the game carried over until you finally managed to get good enough to win.

Dungeons of Dredmor was a game I snatched up the moment it released, feels like it was about ten years ago. Lots of fun back then, I'm not sure I'd feel the same way about it now, though. Maybe I'll put that to the test!

Great we still can't come to a consensus on what is an RPG. Now we have this.:disappointed:

Back
Top Bottom