WotR Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Class Guides

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
I tried a few prestige classes: arcane trickster, eldritch knight and mystic theurge for my character + stalwart defender (Valerie). Regill in WotR is a hellknight but I can't remember if he was normal class hellknight or prestige class hellknight :lol:

Prestige classes are fun in their own way but with so many classes & archetypes in WotR, I don't know whether some players will bother to plan out their build to meet prestige class requirements.

I did that a few times in NWN, it's nice to plan a build to get the requirements for the prestige class. And those classes were distinct and, well, prestigious enough to have an appeal to the player. It made the player feel a bit "special".

But there were no archetypes. As you said WotR already provides so much, by the time the player has scrolled through all the classes and archetypes, there is no time left to look at the prestige classes :lol:

I tried arcane archer and red dragon disciple, back in NWN. Arcane trickster is one I'd like to try in Pathfinder, but perhaps it's not too different from the eldritch scoundrel. What class did you use to get the prerequisites? I suppose the prestige class is for arcane casters who want to turn rogue instead of rogues who want to get arcane powers, so just the alternate approach. Except the prestige class may allow spontaneous casters and other sorts while eldritch scoundrel has the same limitations as a wizard? I'll have to check.

I looked, Regill went fighter armiger 5 then switched to hellknight, I don't see a hellknight subclass so it must be prestige. That nasty little bugger.

What class did you use to get the prerequisites?

I did rogue 1/vivisectionist 1/wizard 3 to get to arcane trickster - but apparently I didn't need a level in rogue (been told 1 level in vivisectionist would have been enough)

I looked, Regill went fighter armiger 5 then switched to hellknight, I don't see a hellknight subclass so it must be prestige. That nasty little bugger.

God, I love Regill. I never thought an evil gnome companion will be my favourite character in WotR :lol:

I'm adding videos on the new archetypes.

@Myrthos; 1) Could you please rename this thread to "Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Class Guides"? Latest videos are from others than Fextralife, and that would make the name more consistent with the other threads :) There's also "PF: Wrath of the Righteous - Mythic Paths by Mortismal Gaming" which could be "Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Mythic Path Guides"

2) Would it make sense to create a new forum for Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous? Or rename this one to just "Pathfinder"? Some threads target both, so perhaps it's easier and it make sense to just rename this forum and not have two.

3) Would a sticky make sense for guides? I don't see many of them in other game-related forums so I don't know how you like it. I see those potentials:

Would it help to get starter pen & paper rules ?

I am a person which assembles knowledge mostly via reading.
I'm not so much watching videos, partly because I don't like google collecting my data, but mostly because I'm almost deaf on one ear. Which makes it a bit harder to listen to something than for normal people.

@Redglyph;: I've made it so (most of it)

Thanks so much for the changes @Myrthos; :) (I see you're still busy with that)

I'm not so much watching videos, partly because I don't like google collecting my data, but mostly because I'm almost deaf on one ear. Which makes it a bit harder to listen to something than for normal people.
I have only mentioned a couple of sites, d20PFSRD being my favourite (even if Archives of Nethys is made in collaboration with Paizo). But Kingmaker and Wrath of the Righteous - especially the latter, have modified rules, for example with the mythic paths. And they don't implement everything (but they're fetching archetypes and prestige classes across different packages - I'm not entirely familiar with the different add-ons to be honest).

There are a few guide websites sprouting here and there (for example this one). That could be handy to link them here when relevant.

So I think it's just the matter of choosing whether it's related to WotR or the P&P platform. But they're quite similar, any good guide or reference on either of them is helpful. :)

EDIT: and I'm with you on that one, I much prefer a written reference, web or book. When I started playing Kingmaker, I had the Core Rulebook right next to the keyboard :)

I would actually suggest just trying some things out in game.

I have to say - Owlcat did an amazing job of showing what your classes can do in game during character creation. So if you have an approximate class you want to play. Just try it out and have a look at it.

As far as I know, there are no classes with which you can not complete the game. So it's safe to just have fun. If you are afraid of difficulty, you can play on Easy.

I find the game very difficult on core or higher myself so if you do like to play on hard settings then you can gimp yourself pretty easy IMO. Poorly placed stats, bad feats, picking a weak or difficult class, all might make it very hard to finish and cause a great of frustration if you like higher difficulty..

The core classes all have difficulty indicators on them that indicate if they are easy or difficult to play. For instance Magnus is difficult and requires a lot of micromanagement (per the in-game note on it). A fighter class, on the other hand, is fairly simple and straightforward.

On the other hand I think you would have to really work on purpose to make a bad character to not be able to finish on story mode.

I have 4 characters between level 3 and 4 right now and playing on core and die a lot but some characters are definitely more robust and stronger than others. But that also depends on how you want to play them.

Wrath of the Righteous also comes with pre-made characters for several classes, I suppose they'll complete that progressively for the archetypes and prestige classes. From what I understood of the presentation, you can use them as a starting point and modify whatever you like.

Here is a little demo to illustrate how the UI can give written information relevant to what the player is currently doing - in this case, creating a character.

(Sorry for the full embedded images. I tried to use thumbnails but imgbb is acting up and would only give low-res images)

But first, as you can see, the difficulty settings give quite some freedom:
image.png

There are pre-generated characters that you cannot change, except the appearance:
image.png

For each class, you get an overview and its progression through the levels. If you hover any of the icons (feats/abilities - I'm hiding a part of the UI here), you get a tooltip with all the details. On the tooltip are highlighted words that can give further details (Charisma, swift action, …):
image.png

This is the main class presentation; for the generic classes there are already premade builds, that can be changed any way you like:
image.png

For example I clicked on the "premade" magus, you can see the different character creation stages. Here I've advanced to the abilities (see the gem pointer at the top), that's the default they propose but I can change them if I want.
image.png

Last edited:
That sounds fairly ( pun intended ;) ) good.

All additional videos on the new archetypes of beta 2 have been released and linked, they're the "(2)" links in the first post. It's a lot to explore :)

Something to check in beta 2 that may differ from the tabletop / Core Rulebook: the domain spells were not the same in beta 1. I reported that but I have the feeling it was on purpose, I haven't checked again in beta 2.

Yeah lol, I might be spending a day or two simply building my team before I ever get to the damn prologue!! More options tend to be good, so that's not a complaint at all, rather something to look forward to.

I added a link to Fextralife's website, which has now a guide for all classes, archetypes and prestige classes (I haven't verified all of them).

https://pathfinderwrathoftherighteous.wiki.fextralife.com/Classes

As you can see, it's a lot: 25 classes, err, 144 archetypes, and 13 prestige classes o_O

Make that 25 / 161 / 13, which should be the final selection. Good luck choosing! :p

The Fextralife wiki (linked above) seems to cover them all, good job!

Back
Top Bottom