Morrowind - OpenMW 0.47.0 Released

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A new version of OpenMW (0.47.0) is now available for Morrowind.

**Please note that one must own the original game files to play Morrowind in OpenMW!**

Another year of busy and fruitful development lies behind us -- and the OpenMW team is proud to announce the release of version 0.47.0 of our open-source engine! Grab it from our Downloads Page for all supported operating systems.

With over 180 solved issues and a plethora of new features, this release is on par with the enormous 0.46.0 release we had last year. Brace yourself for object paging which allows OpenMW to finally display distant statics, proper support for groundcover mods, an improved lighting system, more efficient and robust physics, the new, optional over-the-shoulder camera, and much, much more!

In addition, countless bugs have been solved -- both for the vanilla game and for a variety of mods to ensure even better mod compatibility in the new version.

Check out the release announcement video by the hacking Atahualpa and the slashing johnnyhostile, and see below for the full list of changes. There are also a German release video and a German changelog available.

More information.

Ah so it's still in development then after all these years?o_O

Feels like another ambitious project that will never finish.

Ah so it's still in development then after all these years?o_O

Feels like another ambitious project that will never finish.

It is already on par with Morrowind in terms of content and feature's wise well in excess with more to come so it is well past finished if you want to play an upgraded game of Morrowind with it.

It is already on par with Morrowind in terms of content and feature's wise well in excess with more to come so it is well past finished if you want to play an upgraded game of Morrowind with it.
Thanks the number of the version is off putting. Makes you think it's only half done.

It's a very nice project and I enjoyed playing it. They can't fix the combat though :bigcry:
I don't think anything can fix the combat of Morrowind or Oblivion.:(

This has come a long way since I checked it out a few years ago. If I ever get around to replaying Morrowind, I might just use this instead of installing a bunch of mods.

Thanks the number of the version is off putting. Makes you think it's only half done.

Yeah, it's a bit misleading. Their stance is that it only gets appointed the 1.0 release when they're happy that it's achieved complete parity with the original. I think there's a couple of small things they're still working out. It's really interesting, though, as part of the intent is that anyone can take the engine and make similar games, without the Morrowind content - a bit like Enderal, except you'd be free to release it as your own game.

Last time I looked, which was a while ago, there was a little bit of fiddling around to get it going, but nothing too onerous.

Deadly Reflexes fixed Oblivion combat quite nicely. So much that Beth "borrowed" it for Skyrim.
Maybe but the combat is still pure crap in my personal opinion. It would take an engine update or remaster to improve it. So no I don't think mods can improve it that much.

Still yeah Bethesda is well known to steal mods to incorporate in future games and updates. I believe that is actually part of the TOS you agree to before you play.:D

They could definitely fix the combat in OpenMW. Their focus so far seems to be to act as a drop in replacement for the original engine. But, AFAIK, it's only using the assets from Morrowind itself. These devs, or other ones, could completely rewrite the combat system, bring in new animations, etc.

Just tried this on Linux, and it works flawlessly. Morrowind in all its ugly glory!

Set-up is very easy:
1) Install Morrowind
2) Install OpenMW
3) Run OpenMW and at the prompt point it to where your Morrowind master file lives (i.e. Morrowind.esm, in the Morrowind install location).
And that's it!

I think you can also point it to a Morrowind install disk and it will install Morrowind for you, but I pre-installed Morrowind via GOG installer (and Wine, due to being in Linux).

Back
Top Bottom