God of War - Review @ VGC

Doesn't Steam have a controller that mixes both advantages with a mounted mousepad?

It does. Its called Steam Controller and actually its my preferred controller when playing some of the 3d person games on Steam. But again, when its necessary to aim precisely, Im back to m+k anyway.

I'm not certain you can still buy Steam Controllers... I think only used ones now. But it is a great controller if you can get one. I know this isn't an option for most but I've got a Steam Deck coming and am hoping that will prove to be a great control scheme with its dual capacitive touch pads.

And while I'm someone who thinks kb+m is the best controller scheme, I made myself get used to a controller because I love the convenience of using them. My PC gaming rig is next to a couch in my office and I love flopping down on the couch with one instead of trying to balance a kb on my lap. Anyway, controllers don't bother me now but it was a bit of a painful process to fully get used to them.

The only games where I prefer controller over k&m are games where I need to bash buttons continuously and very fast, like fighting games or recently Sekiro. Otherwise, I almost always prefer k&m. But in the cases and if I want to not destroy my keyboard I need to use a controller.

What I do really hate is console games which require a boatload of buttons and what they end up doing is start using certain buttons as switches that turn other buttons into other functions. I really hate that. Makes it very hard to remember which key is under which combination.

The only games where I prefer controller over k&m are games where I need to bash buttons continuously and very fast, like fighting games or recently Sekiro.

I just avoid those games.

Ever heard of Decathlon? :lol: But that was on C64, it was infamous for breaking joysticks because you had to go repeatedly left/right/left/right as fast as possible. Very silly.

I just connected the auto-fire to one direction and that was it. ;)

Yeah, fighting games I've been mostly off these for years now. Haven't really enjoyed one in a long time. I just don't have the patience or someone to hotseat with me.

For Sekiro I have to make a correction. For Sekiro it was mostly due to the reaction time when hitting a button on the controller vs on the keyboard. For some reason I'm a lot faster and more comfortable. But also, and this is important, when I fail whatever significant boss fight and I need to strangle something to cool off my rage, the controller is a much better victim than the keyboard. I think I once almost ripped a controller in half. These games really bring out whatever anger you have buried deep. :D

Here's the model you need, 3 positions, can be mounted beside the keyboard:

Desktop-Punching-Bag-2.jpg

EDIT: we may have gone slightly out of topic here ;)

I remember how resistant I was to the idea of a mouse back in the '80s. I started with Commodore computers and didn't have a mouse for several years and I thought they were kind of ridiculous.

Obviously now I'm well used to them and for many things prefer them. But I don't have overall bias for kb&m over controller or vice versa. Very much depends on the individual game for me.

Ever heard of Decathlon? :lol: But that was on C64, it was infamous for breaking joysticks because you had to go repeatedly left/right/left/right as fast as possible. Very silly.

I just connected the auto-fire to one direction and that was it. ;)

I don't remember a game called Decathlon, but I had all the Epyx Olympics games (Summer Games, Winter Games, etc) and they were all pretty much played that way.

I remember how resistant I was to the idea of a mouse back in the '80s. I started with Commodore computers and didn't have a mouse for several years and I thought they were kind of ridiculous.

Obviously now I'm well used to them and for many things prefer them. But I don't have overall bias for kb&m over controller or vice versa. Very much depends on the individual game for me.

I was the same way when I first got into PC gaming though that was in the '90s for me. Since I came from a mostly console background, I even played first-person shooters like Doom and Duke Nukem 3D with a gamepad. It wasn't until Half-Life that I realized how much better kb+m was for those games.

I always used to play on k+m as I only had a PC for gaming. I even played the first Dark Souls when released on k+m and I was all right with it.

Then I bought a PS3 for my children to play games, and played Demon Souls with a gamepad and it was initially a difficult experience. Then after a short while using a gamepad was second nature for Soul like games and now I can't play them without a gamepad (even on PC). And they said you can't teach an old dog new tricks!

I was the same way when I first got into PC gaming though that was in the '90s for me. Since I came from a mostly console background, I even played first-person shooters like Doom and Duke Nukem 3D with a gamepad. It wasn't until Half-Life that I realized how much better kb+m was for those games.

Doom and Duke were played just with keyboard. It was Terminator Future Shock that implemented mouse look in FPS. And I still remember how awkward it felt at first to me.

Doom and Duke were played just with keyboard. It was Terminator Future Shock that implemented mouse look in FPS. And I still remember how awkward it felt at first to me.

You could use a mouse with Doom, it just didn't have the Z-axis. Duke Nukem 3D had mouselook, but it wasn't a true modern mouselook. It was a very clunky implementation.

I think Marathon had mouselook, but that was exclusively on Mac back then.

Back
Top Bottom