Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Does Anyone Read This Thread for News?

• Yes

Votes: 53 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters
And at the base, which I forgot to mention, because you lose the "informal discussions" you had at the coffee machine when you work remotely, so you have to replace that with more online discussions. That's where the habits of everyone is important to know. :)

Zodiac Legion - Kingdom Building Fantasy Medieval Strategy RPG

Zodiac Legion Gameplay with Splat! Let's Play Zodiac Legion and check out a game where you'll lead a squad of super powered soldiers through conflict to spur your industry forward.
Dying 2 Know - 2021 Summary

Last year, we showed you quite a lot about Dying Light 2 Stay Human! Take a look at this short recap of every Dying 2 Know episode released in 2021!
Monster Hunter: Rise PC Launch Trailer

Welcome to 2022, we hope you all had a great time over the holiday period!
Post-apocalyptic RPG Showa American Story - Steam

Showa 66, Japan has bought out most of the United States with its strong economic power. A surge of immigration has firmly planted Japanese culture within the American continent. Two cultures are rapidly amalgamated, although conflicts are inevitable, citizens gradually adapt to a life never imagined as time goes by.

However, a mysterious catastrophic incident changes the world drastically. The social order is long gone. An unknown amount of time passes, a teenage girl mysteriously revives from the dead, only to find a brand new wild post-apocalyptic world with zombies, monsters, and human survivors of different backgrounds and beliefs.

What happened to me and the whole world? With many questions in her mind and trying to find answers, Choko embarks on an adventurous journey across the United States that will change her forever.
Broken Ranks - An Isometric Turn-Based Fantasy MMORPG

In this video I am going to talk about an upcoming MMORPG called broken ranks. This game has a release date of Jan 25th of 2022 and it is free to play.
Solasta: Crown of the Magister - Community Stream Incoming
The Tactical Adventures crew and I wish y'all the best for 2022, may your dice always roll well. We're also going to do a little Dev Stream next week on Thursday January 13th at 9 am PST / 12 pm EST / 6 pm CET with the usual banter about Solasta, game development, fun facts while checking out some Custom Dungeons from the Steam Workshop - it's been too long since we did one of those!

I crumbled and bought MH: Rise but eh..... its more because I've played almost 1700 hours of MH: World and running out of things to do than actually being hyped by MH: Rise. 4 more days to go, I will see how good it is compared to MH: World.

The Tactical Adventures crew and I wish y'all the best for 2022, may your dice always roll well.
Wish? They can make that happen if they "wish!" ;)

Bleak Faith: Forsaken - Gameplay Updates

We decided to showcase some of the gameplay polish and improvements in an area we've already showed before so as to spare people of any more content spoilers. It's also a good opportunity to go back and compare to how the fight previously looked. We've focused hard on improving responsiveness and general gameplay feel and our testers have echoed that the improvements have greatly improved the enjoyment of a challenging fight. Still a long road ahead of us, so stay tuned for more!
Dying Light 2 Stay Human Skill Trees Reveal

Wonder what the skill tree in Dying Light 2 Stay Human looks like? We prepared a little sneak-peek for you. Take a look! And remember, whichever skills you're gonna pick in the game.
Mechajammer - Happy New Year!
We hope you were able to spend time with family, friends and your backlogs of video games.

Over the holidays we kept a second 'Quinton Testing Branch' open for players who wanted to try out Mechajammer fixes and additions as we worked on them (the branch is still available now!) and we're now putting v1.06 of Mechajammer through our own QA testers before its release.
Fallout TV Series Moving Forward in Production - Deadline
Prime Video’s series adaptation of worldwide bestselling game franchise Fallout, from Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy’s Kilter Films, is coming together. Nolan is set to direct the premiere of the series, which is slated to begin production in 2022. Geneva Robertson-Dworet (Captain Marvel) and Graham Wagner (Silicon Valley) have come aboard as showrunners.
George Ziets New RPG Cancelled by Publisher - RPGCodex
Our game was indeed canceled by the publisher, and we had to let about half our team go. (Ugh.) Digimancy is still alive, though, and we’re talking to other potential partners… and continuing to work on our internal game. (My co-owner and I created a rough prototype back in 2019-2020 before we signed the publisher project.)
Great Houses of Calderia - New Year 2022
We want to thank you for your amazing support after the Great Houses of Calderia announcement in December. We couldn't be more happy to see that your are more than 700 players following us on Steam!

Last edited:
16-bit style RPG Rise of the Third Power launches on February 10 - Steam

Rise of the Third Power is a love letter to the glory days of the console style RPG that combines the best aspects of Japanese and Western design. Based loosely on the political climate of Europe in the late 1930's, join an exciting party of eight, each with their own unique ambitions, perspectives and personalities, as they embark upon a suicide mission to topple the Arkadyan emperor. A blend of humor, drama and tragedy await players as they navigate the treacherous world of Rin. Experience this fusion of East and West, old and new, in a game meant to surpass Stegosoft Games' previous work in every way! Coming to consoles and PC on February 10th, 2022!
Is Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord Worth it in 2022?

Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord has almost been in early access for a full year, and a lot of people have been asking: Is Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord Worth It In 2022? The short answer is: Yes. It's far more stable, there's roughly 90% of the perks in the game fully active, and a ton more additions on the way. In this video, I'm going to give you another Early Access Update v1.7.0, showing off gameplay from some of the most recent additions to the game.
Dying Light 2 Stay Human - Dying 2 Know Episode 6

It's happening! The final episode of our Dying 2 Know show is live! Join us for some co-op and console sneak peeks, and see what the game looks like less than a month before the release!
Weird West Interview - Well Played Australia
If Weird West isn't on your most anticipated games of 2022 lists already, it' about time you caught up. A collision of Immersive Sim mechanics, old school Western trappings and magical realism inspirations, Weird West is shaping up to be one of the most exciting debut titles we've seen in a long time. The game comes to us by way of WolfEye Studios, the latest endeavour of industry veterans Rapha Colantonio and Julien Roby, both formerly of Arkane Studios. As we close out another year of uncertainty and adaptation, I spoke with Colantonio about the impacts of COVID, the inspiration behind the game and how a simple shovel mechanic broke my heart.
10 Best Tactical RPGs Released In The 2010s - TheGamer
When people think of the era of the Tactical RPG, they probably think of the PS1. And for good reason, since that was when the genre was most certainly at its peak. However, while we may not have the same number of big releases, there have still been many stellar Tactical RPGs released long after the death of the original PlayStation.

The 2010s ended up being a pretty fruitful decade for the genre. Don't believe us? Well, we are more than happy to fill you in on some of the excellent Tactical RPGs that were released from 2010 to 2019.
Xenonauts 2 - New Year Update
Happy New Year and all that! Here's a quick update from the Goldhawk team on work that took place in December - this was a slightly short month owing to team holidays but we're back and on track now.

Dying Light 2 Stay Human - The Reason Official Gameplay Trailer

Why did Aiden come to The City? What are his motives? Find out more in our latest gameplay video, where we're showing you his reasons as well as some new characters and pieces of the story!
SOEDESCO will release 16-bit Zelda-inspired game Airoheart

SOEDESCO has announced a partnership with Pixel Heart Studio to publish the upcoming Zelda-inspired Airoheart; a pixel art adventure with classic real-time combat created in Unreal Engine 4. The game has been in development since 2018 and was successfully funded on Kickstarter in 2020.
Monster Hunter Rise 8 million Units Shipped - Capcom
Monster Hunter Rise was released for Steam, a PC platform with a broad global user base, on January 13, 2022. Featuring high-resolution 4K support and voice chat functionality for PC, the game provided a fresh hunting experience that garnered praise from players while additionally growing the player base across a wide range of countries and regions. This, combined with sales of the Nintendo Switch version that was released in March 2021, drove global shipments of the game to surpass 8 million units
Solasta: Crown of the Magister Developer Stream Recap
Hey there folks!Thank you all for joining our Dev Stream yesterday, it's been a real blast chatting with you - we should definitely do this more often (as soon as we have more time)! For those who could unfortunately not be there, here is a VOD link for you: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1263120461
Darkest Dungeon II - Community Roadmap
Today we are pleased to share our community roadmap for our path to 1.0. We look forward to the work ahead and are ready to kick things off with our first update in mid-Feburary 2022.
Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness - Improved Bug Reporting and New Fixes
Our nineteenth round of fixes and improvements is here! It includes the option to regulate the AoE spellcasting behavior for your Party AI, as well as increased stability and usability for the integrated bug reporting tool - you can activate it by pressing the Alt+B key combination!
Expeditions: Rome Dev Diary #16 - Sieges
Ave! It’s release week! In a mere four days (count them!), Expeditions: Rome will be released to the world in all its glory, and you will finally be able to continue your demo playthrough into the full game. Will you manage to save Cotta from the clutches of Mithridates? Will Archelaus prove to be a useful hostage if you left him alive? Will Julius Calidus ever drop the act and admit to very clearly being a woman? You’ll find out soon!
Starfield Has Been In Development For At Least Six Years
Bethesda has been working on Starfield since at least 2016 ‚�that's according to the studio's lead character artist, who also worked on Skyrim and Fallout 4. Maybe we'll actually see Starfield this November after all?
I'm Still Annoyed More People Didn't Play Pillars Of Eternity 2
Yet despite widespread critical acclaim, and some of developer Obsidian's finest narrative and RPG design to date, the future of the Pillars of Eternity series hangs in the balance. Sales of Deadfire were lower than expected, severely reducing the likelihood of a sequel. Honestly, this pisses me off. A series this good deserves better, and I really don't understand why an RPG of this quality failed to find an audience�especially on PC.

Phantom Brigade Fan Cinematic - Convoy Ambush

This is a fan-made cinematic using the early access version of Phantom Brigade.
Phantom Brigade Cinematic Battle

This is a fan-made cinematic using the early access version of Phantom Brigade.

Elden Ring Unknown NPCs #1 - Tower Animal (Network Test)

I'm unsure of the name of this creature if it can be found inside the build by normal means, but this is a creature I found while digging through the game files. If it does exist in the game by normal means, let me know along with a source.
Elden Ring Unknown NPCs #2 - Melina (Network Test)

She's not entirely functional so some of her attack stances and dialog are missing in this recording so this is a mod that partially restores her into the game.
Elden Ring NPCs #3 Castle/Underground Crab (Network Test)

Update: Creature is located inside the castle along as well as an underground location. So Title/Description has been updated.
Elden Ring Unknown NPCs #4 Skeleton NPC Network Test

Unknown Skeleton creature that can't hit for anything. Haven't been able to find this creature anywhere else in the game.

Tactical Adventures Emile Zhang Interview with Matt Chat

This episode features an interview with Emile Zhang of Tactical Adventures, the creators of Solasta: Crown of the Magister.
Procedural Turn-based RPG Kriegsfront Tactics announced for PC - Steam

Kriegsfront Tactics is a procedural turn-based mecha tactics for military sim fans where we combine elements from classic tactical strategy games, roguelikes, and lowpoly retro-style visuals.

Set in alternate 1970s during an era of conflict in Southeast Asia, you'll play as a commander of a mecha squad sent behind enemy lines. Manage your squad, resources, and mechs. Complete missions, and survive the front another day, while facing hard decisions that will test your morality.
Fallout 76 - Invaders From Beyond Update Overview
The Invaders from Beyond Update for Fallout 76 is now available in the Public Test Server! We hope you will join us for some playtesting, and then share your feedback and bug reports with us in the Bethesda Studios Discord Server. Read on to catch descriptions of the features and improvements we’d like you to try out.

In my case, it's so easy : The beginning of Pillars 1 way so incredibly dark and gruesome it really turned me off, making me not want to play the sequel.
Especially since I decided to play the sequel ONLY after having played the first game, and since I don't like the first game …

Others might very well like that. I know of enough people from forums who like it especially dark and gruesome.

I also tried to finish PoE 1 and did not manage. My problem was not that the story was dark or gruesome, rather that the world they had created never sucked me in. I don't know why. Perhaps because of the classes or something. I believe that had it been old DnD, I would have felt differently.

Then came the Pathfinder, which I found much better than PoE 1. After that, someone made a turn-based mode for the Pathfinder and now I cannot even think of returning to PoE games.

Others might very well like that. I know of enough people from forums who like it especially dark and gruesome.
I do like horror, but in this case the hollowborn scenario was original, mysterious, and thought provoking. It could have used a better tutorial, but other than that I had no issues with the game.
Couchpotato;1061668484[B said:
Fallout TV Series Moving Forward in Production - Deadline[/B]]
I haven't seen Silicon Valley, but Captain Marvel was a turd. Doesn't inspire hope for this one.

In my case, it's so easy : The beginning of Pillars 1 way so incredibly dark and gruesome it really turned me off, making me not want to play the sequel.
Especially since I decided to play the sequel ONLY after having played the first game, and since I don't like the first game …

Yeah, I didn't like PoE1's atmosphere myself, especially in the beginning. (I still finished it.)

You should definitely try PoE2. It's a lot more light-hearted and generally a good game.

I might have to try POE2. I enjoyed the first bit of POE but lost interest when the party received a castle. It was dreadful compared to winning a castle in NWN2. I really liked that aspect with all the crafting and such.

Thanks for the posts, @Couchpotato;

I believe graphics should be supporting of the story - if the story is dark, so should the graphic, because it is hard for me to be immersed in a setting which doesn't fit with the graphics. So the writing of Pillars of Eternity was dark too, but that wasn't a problem for you - only the graphics?

I also tried to finish PoE 1 and did not manage. My problem was not that the story was dark or gruesome, rather that the world they had created never sucked me in. I don't know why. Perhaps because of the classes or something. I believe that had it been old DnD, I would have felt differently.

Then came the Pathfinder, which I found much better than PoE 1. After that, someone made a turn-based mode for the Pathfinder and now I cannot even think of returning to PoE games.

I agree with all of this. Both Pathfinder games are much better and POE would have been a much better game using DnD rules instead of the custom ones they made.

I agree too, a D&D / Pathfinder would have gone a long way to motivate me more. It's a fine game but I can't get into the mechanics. In PoE2, there's also a lot of lore constantly thrown at the player, which makes the potential barrier even higher.

Back
Top Bottom