The TV Series discussion thread

I didn't mind this ep of GoT too much (overall plot), better than the last but yes, hardly great. There were many things handled poorly, some things are given tons of time (Arya) where not needed, other things are rushed.

I'm glad they subverted expectations with Arya - they set it up as if she was going to bump off Cersei with a Jamie face, but let it play out differently. Now she's clearly had a gutful of Jon's Psycho Hosebeast girlfriend, and it looks like she's planning on giving her a slap.

I did enjoy the spectacle, as I thought it had some weight as a horrifying massacre of the innocents, and Dany has always had that streak in her.

I was annoyed by Varys going out like that - he was always one step ahead, and you could never take what he was saying at face value. Surely he would have had a better plan. Also, the dragon vs crossbows thing annoyed me. They had set them up as a serious tactical threat, and suddenly the dragon swats dozens of them, and the entire fleet, like mosquitoes.

(...) I always hoped he'd be one of the people still standing in the end.

Sometimes I think nobody will stand, in the end.

Just awful. What a terrible end to a show that had so much promise, but that all faded away by series five. The only highlight for me was seeing a Targaryen bat-shit crazy, that was a blessing to finally see!!!

The ballista were great, then they were not. Varys was wise, then he was toast. Kind of like the television series as a whole, I just hope Martin doesn't go anywhere near this route with his final two books.

I suspect Sansa might rule at the end, and so much for breaking the wheel. Then again, my hope was that the only things around in Westeros at the end of the show would be the Scion and his brood.

I was disappointed by most of the completed character arcs. I know with this type of show there was no way they could make all the fans happy. Hell I was pissed off when they killed off Ned in the first season. But I expected rational story telling for character actions. And while this show visually has never looked better, they really did miss the source material.

Oh it gets worse as those HBO writers are making the next StarWars Trilogy.:biggrin:

The people I spoken to about Westeros most often tell me I expect too much from a television series. I disagreed. HBO isn't free, I pay to watch it and my expectations are therefore higher. They have seriously proven hits in the past, namely shows like Deadwood, Sopranos, the Wire. My expectations are much higher than, say, something you might encounter on the CW. This will no longer be Game of Thrones to me, more aptly named Game of Shame. We are witnessing the most spectacular decline of a television series since Lost.....no. It's far worse than Lost. If I ever re-watch this show, I'll likely stop at the fourth series and just pretend the Scion wins it all. That works for me, it's a logical conclusion and makes far more sense.

Said not to comment GoT till it's done, so there. Instead, some other news.

CBS decided not to allow Star Trek Picard on Netflix:
https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/...-to-air-on-amazon-prime-video-internationally
CBS All Access’ Picard series to air on Amazon Prime Video internationally

CBS and Amazon have announced this morning that the upcoming Star Trek series about an older Captain Jean-Luc Picard will air on Amazon Prime Video internationally. Outside of the US and Canada, the new episodes will debut in more than 200 countries with each episode arriving on Amazon Prime Video within 24 hours of its US premiere on CBS All Access.

Not sure what to think about that after the dumb&dumber move with international airing of Short Trek episodes and confusion on Netflix:
https://www.gamesradar.com/the-star...k-but-weirdly-well-hidden-heres-how-to-watch/
The four Star Trek: Discovery shorts are on Netflix, but maybe not where you'd expect them

Discovery is awful. If even one person that's responsible for that debacle is even slightly involved in any future Star Trek offerings, I'll be avoiding them just on general principle alone. I love Stewart, but I love a smart, sensible story even more, and you won't receive that with these folk.

Agree don't know if it's nostalgia or the talent is just bad nowadays.:)

GOT:

When was the episode when the Dragon/Dany learned battle tactics. I thought I was watching the show in sequential order.

Carn, you should put show spoilers in spoiler tags.

So, a perfectly rationale explanation is that Dany could guide drogon to avoid the bolts, while her other dragon was too dumb on its own without a rider to avoid them. Plus she came at them from behind, unlike when she was surprised before. Makes perfect sense to me, but isn't explained without careful watching.

I think I might have attacked at night. Good luck shooting down dragons in the dark! :p

My thought on attacking the Iron Fleet was using the dragon to carry boulders, I'm thinking around three hundred pounds or so, and simply drop them using cloud cover. Take the risk basically right out of the equation. A good way to march into victory is to do something your opposition would never anticipate. I also think the cost of the effects would have been lower than, say, constantly breathing fire.

FS3GyXP.jpg

I haven't watched since last...two seasons? Season and a half? ( I think last scene, was the dragon chick sailed away on ships)My friends keep jabbering about it non stop.
Kind of lost interest, is it any better than before?
The dwarf dude ( is he still alive?) should be crowned, here. ( That scene when he goes: I should've left you all to die!!!...prob my favorite).
And marry that giant amazon woman...lol, what a couple they'd make.

Better? That would be a no.

However, i would advice you to judge it for yourself. There are many people who does take this particular series extremely serious, if you don't then you might just enjoy it. It's not like you're gonna find another dark fantasy show which is better, because there really are none.

However, i would advice you to judge it for yourself. There are many people who does take this particular series extremely serious, if you don't then you might just enjoy it. It's not like you're gonna find another dark fantasy show which is better, because there really are none.

^This. There are people who love to pick the show apart for whatever reasons, but when you challenge them to name a better fantasy series they just give you a blank stare.

It's far from perfect, but I think it's highly entertaining as long as you're not overly anal about every tiny detail.

Back
Top Bottom