ATOM RPG - First Impressions

But…it's a video…I'm too old for those! Anyone younger at heart who's watched it?

Last edited:
I didn't watch the video but played for 17 hours so far. I like it a lot. It has some Dead State vibes but mostly it is a Soviet version of Fallout 1/2, very polished and smooth. The writing is good, the quests and characters are interesting and gameplay is classic turn-based Fallout. Very interesting game with a lot of neat things to see and do, with some really other-worldly lore. I'd definitely recommend picking it up for $15, it's worth double that really, with tons of content and a high quality polish level. It gets the Fluent Stamp of Approval. :)

The game audio is far too low to hear, so much of the opening sequence is lost on me.

Looks interesting but 45 minutes and still only equipped with a brick? Not even a crow bar yet? Read some reviews on Steam that mention some pretty poor balancing and a camera that's too close, and enough other annoyances that I'm holding off until things improve, should that happen eventually. PoE2 has my attention for now anyhow.

Protip - Going forward, always take "poor balancing" reviews as either frustrated gamers who die at areas they shouldn't be at yet, or gamers not understanding a hand-crafted game world where there are dangerous enemies and weaker ones and not understanding where to stay away from at early level. Trust me, all poor balance reviews fall under one of those two aspects. I've read enough to know that.

And you can get weapons earlier, I just didn't know what the heck I was doing. You can get a pistol pretty early as well as a hunting rifle. Ammo is scarce though apparently. You also get knives, shivs, etc., early, but I didn't build a combat build but a talking build so I can't use those weapons too well. But you can easily get yourself a knife and start stabby-stabbying early on if you build your character that will.

Looks interesting but 45 minutes and still only equipped with a brick? Not even a crow bar yet? Read some reviews on Steam that mention some pretty poor balancing and a camera that's too close, and enough other annoyances that I'm holding off until things improve, should that happen eventually. PoE2 has my attention for now anyhow.

Sounds like there are some real idiots on Steam. You can zoom the camera in or out using your mouse wheel, and it can go out pretty far. I think he increased the distance in more recent versions though, so it's possible those are just older reviews from the Beta.

Are far as weapons go, you can get a knife and a hunting rifle in the very first town, but they're not just handed to you.

Sounds like there are some real idiots on Steam. You can zoom the camera in or out using your mouse wheel
Exactly. I mean who on earth still combines steam and mushrooms?

Replayed the beginning three times. You can keep your equipment but its hard. You also get a free pistol if you help the first town, and you get paid enough to buy more.

As for the controls took me about five minutes to figure them out. Seems gamer's are now used to playing prologues and tutorials to explain everything.

Seems gamer's are now used to playing prologues and tutorials to explain everything.
On phones, the pay2win rubbishware, yes, the tutorial always leads you to click on some pretend currency spending! :D

I've played 8 hours so far and It's really bringing me back to my first playthrough of Fallout 1 and 2. I've been having a lot of fun in the game. For the 15 bucks it's going for on Steam I would recommend picking it up.

Sounds like there are some real idiots on Steam.

Not to be too jaded or pessimistic, but yeah, there are. And the sad thing is that these people's reviews often knock down the rating of a game because they simply don't understand the game they are playing. So many complaints in Kingmaker for example are from people who are unfamiliar with CRPGs that you actually have to learn the ruleset for, rather than just breezing through without a thought. So I always read the positive reviews because the negatives usually just equal frustrated gamers who don't know what they're doing.

I don't think all reviews that state there are bad balance issues as people who don't understand how a game works...if you are trouncing everything in the game at a certain point or areas that you start off with are way beyond your characters level I would say it wasn't balanced right.

Now, I haven't played this yet so I don't know what it's like here, but I have played a lot of RPG's.

How did you manage to do that?
Put all your points into strength, endurance, hand to hand, and pick martial arts. I tried it on all three difficulties and my plan only worked on easy difficulty.

Only problem is the build is only good for combat and nothing else.

Put all your points into strength, endurance, hand to hand, and pick martial arts. I tried it on all three difficulties and my plan only worked on easy difficulty.

Only problem is the build is only good for combat and nothing else.

Ha. I thought about getting something like that as well, but then I got stuck playing the game with the first character I made instead...

I don't think all reviews that state there are bad balance issues as people who don't understand how a game works…if you are trouncing everything in the game at a certain point or areas that you start off with are way beyond your characters level I would say it wasn't balanced right.

Now, I haven't played this yet so I don't know what it's like here, but I have played a lot of RPG's.

I wouldn't say that's the case here. Rather you have huge freedom in how you build your character, and just like in the Original Fallouts if you don't put any point in combat skills combat will be hard. I always tend to allocate skills for what I want my character to be later in the game, meaning the beginning is HARD. I ended up putting all my skill points from my first level up into melee to be able to better tackle the beginning of the game...

In the prologue i grabbed backpack contains and ak47 and run to the box, put all the stuff there. After i woke up i opened box and grabbed my stuff back, except weapons which dissapeared, unfortunately. But 10 biscuits and 10 stimpaks are excellent start.
You only need 10 dexterity to pull it off (which anyone needs anyways).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom