What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Yesterday, me and wife watched Bohemian Rhapsody and we liked it so much. It's a great movie with a great performance by Rami Salek, a strong contender for Best Actor Academy Award. I hope he wins.

Last edited:
Rami Salek is a quirky, interesting actor but I thought that the recent Papillon remake where he played Louis Dega was pretty bad, or at least dramatically inferior to the original Steve McQueen-Dustin Hoffman film. I never see the point in a virtual scene-by-scene remake of a classic movie.

I watched the 1st part of The Ballad of Buster Scruggs and wasn't impressed. Are the other chapters better?

They each deal with different themes in different Old West settings. It took a couple days to get through them all, so I didn't find it particularly captivating as a whole. The last short story was probably my favorite, as it had lots of well written, well-acted dialogue.

I watched the 1st part of The Ballad of Buster Scruggs and wasn't impressed. Are the other chapters better?

Personally I haven't watched it yet, mainly because I have stopped watching anything Netflix makes.

Their movies are bad at best and have a few great shows which doesn't off set the 1000 of bad shows they make.

Netflix the worst thing to happen since ...the movie of the week.

I'm gonna have to agree with joxer about "Hereditary"…it was pretty bad. It has been a long time since I have seen a really good horror movie made by Hollywood. They seem to have gone into stagnation in the genre. I suppose if you haven't seen many horror movies, then you might find hereditary good, but to those of us who have seen so many like me, it was just totally routine and dull. Nothing interesting.

So as not to sound like I'm always a critic, 2 relatively recent movies I saw that I really liked were "Upgrade" and "Sicario: Day of the Soldado"

Upgrade is a low budget science fiction movie, but surprisingly good. I think it was made in Australia. It has all no name people as the stars, but surprisingly good acting and the story is intriguing and well done too. Worth seeing for sci-fi fans.

Sicario: Day of the Soldado is a sequel to the awesome move, Sicario, from a few years back. It is a great sequel, and in its own way, just as good as the original. I would say the movie is even more brutal and stark than the first film. It is very dark in its tone and vision, but filmed beautifully and with an artistic style. And like the first movie, with breathtaking cinematography of desert landscapes. Benicio Del Toro is amazing in the film, and in fact, I think I liked this sequel even more than the first film, which is rare for me.

Watched the "The watchman" directors cut, ultimate cut and the one they pushed on us.

A "Director's Cut" brings the film from its theatrical 162 minutes, to 186 minutes. Scenes include expanded action sequences, and additional exposition. The "Ultimate Cut" brings the film from its theatrical 162 minutes, to a whopping 215 minutes.

What a different movie yet the same. I have seen each of these at least a few times each....I have a hard time understanding how or why this isn't the standard to what movies should be made to.

Janet Black: Doctor Manhattan as you know the Doomsday Clock is a symbolic clock face analogizing humankind's proximity to extinction, midnight representing the threat of nuclear war. As of now it stands at four minutes to midnight. Would you agree that we are that close to annihilation?

Jon Osterman: My father was a watch maker. He abandoned it when Einstein discovered time is relative. I would only agree that a symbolic clock is as nourishing to the intellect as photograph of oxygen to a drowning man.

I'm gonna have to agree with joxer about "Hereditary"…it was pretty bad. It has been a long time since I have seen a really good horror movie made by Hollywood. They seem to have gone into stagnation in the genre. I suppose if you haven't seen many horror movies, then you might find hereditary good, but to those of us who have seen so many like me, it was just totally routine and dull. Nothing interesting.

So as not to sound like I'm always a critic, 2 relatively recent movies I saw that I really liked were "Upgrade" and "Sicario: Day of the Soldado"

Upgrade is a low budget science fiction movie, but surprisingly good. I think it was made in Australia. It has all no name people as the stars, but surprisingly good acting and the story is intriguing and well done too. Worth seeing for sci-fi fans.

Sicario: Day of the Soldado is a sequel to the awesome move, Sicario, from a few years back. It is a great sequel, and in its own way, just as good as the original. I would say the movie is even more brutal and stark than the first film. It is very dark in its tone and vision, but filmed beautifully and with an artistic style. And like the first movie, with breathtaking cinematography of desert landscapes. Benicio Del Toro is amazing in the film, and in fact, I think I liked this sequel even more than the first film, which is rare for me.

Hereditary, i feel asleep to though I really liked "A quiet place" for a movie that I didn't want to go see to begin with

As for Sicario..the first one is great the second one is even better..I deep look into what we really don't see with special or hidden government special forces and ....

I'm surprised. I loved the first chapter. I really like Buster as a character. I've heard him compared to Bugs Bunny, and I partly agree. I find hims hilarious. Especially the way he was written and the way the actors pulls him off. The other chapters are quite different, in that they are not as outrageously funny. Some are actually quite dark. I loved the whole anthology.

Also, I've read people wanting a full-blown movie with Buster. I think I'd like that, but I'm not sure it would work. They'd really have to develop him further. But I think I'd be interested in it.

Hardcore Henry. It 's a... haha. Can't describe it, just watch it*

* over the top, absurd action seen from the first-perspective (imitating fps games somewhat). It's so brutal and silly it is funny. "You're half machine, half pussy"

It has been a long time since I have seen a really good horror movie made by Hollywood. They seem to have gone into stagnation in the genre.
True.

The Nun is another Conjuring spinoff.
Not bad, but not great either.
Plot? Hallucinations that are real, zombies, "jumpscares" and shotgunning. Oh and darkness. Lots of darkness to cover pisspoor masks and effects, as if it was directed by Dark Souls director.
Nice performance from Vera Farmiga's sister makes it a bit better than it should be.

You won't be sorry for watching it, but it doesn't add anything to the franchise really nor has something you've never seen before. Feel free to skip it.

t56
A "Director's Cut" brings the film from its theatrical 162 minutes, to 186 minutes. Scenes include expanded action sequences, and additional exposition. The "Ultimate Cut" brings the film from its theatrical 162 minutes, to a whopping 215 minutes.

What a different movie yet the same. I have seen each of these at least a few times each?.I have a hard time understanding how or why this isn't the standard to what movies should be made to.

It's a well known fact that the average movie-going audience generally starts to get fidgety around the 2 hour/2 hour 30 minute mark. Unless the movie is really really great or you're a fanatic/fanboy about it, most people would rather not watch a 215 minute movie. The idea of watching a 215 minute Watchmen causes a great pain to my psyche. I think I saw only the 162 minute version and I was thinking "When will this end??" From my experience, director's cuts more often than not ruin the pacing of a film.

I like Toni Colette a lot so it was fun to see her really go crazy in Hereditary. I felt that some of the humor was kind of sly, like:

how she worked out the tragic beheading death of her child with arts and crafts, complete with little decapitated dolls.

There are far far worse horror films from Hollywood these days, and dem days.

It's a well known fact that the average movie-going audience generally starts to get fidgety around the 2 hour/2 hour 30 minute mark.
Make it two minutes for me as I can't smoke in there.

But if I'm able to sit through a 3 hours movie while having an addict crisis and still say it rocks, then sorry, but I absolutely don't care about "average" moviegoing audience. If their attention span is so weak being trained by commercial breaks on TV every 10 minutes or sometimes even less, then they should go facebooking and not to cinema.
Assuming we're not talking about rereleases with irrelevant scenes added back only to milk more $ from fans, gimme director's cuts any day.

Make it two minutes for me as I can't smoke in there.

How come they don't have special handicap sections or secluded, caged balcony areas for smokers with special giant sucking fans that can suck your tar and carcinogenic filth away from the rest of us who wish to avoid lung cancer and actually live a normal lifespan or at least until early middle age? They really should make accommodations for you nicotine junkies… as long as it's away from ME, in the smoker's section, in the back of the bus ;) Everyone has a right to enjoy movies in the cinema.

I remember watching the Terrence Malick "cut" of The New World and falling asleep. I never fall asleep during movies.

No, they shouldn't make smokers' sections in cinemas.
Never heard about smokers' section on buses. That also needs to go.

Basically, IMO of course, any place where people are eating something should have tobacco banned.

Didn't watch Malick's anything. His products are drama, romance, history, biography, war or combos of those. No adventure, crime, thriller, horror, comedy, action, martial arts/wuxia, noir, con artists, myths, mystery, spies, sports, westerns nor scifi/fantasy. Means, buhbye from me.

Last edited:
Spots for people to smoke in public don't tend to work well. That reeks comes from far more than the item being smoked, it gets on the clothes of the person doing it, and those around them as well. Most smokers that I've encountered don't even seem to realize it, but I'm quite happy to explain it to them. I find it incredible now that I used to be a smoker back in the day, how I didn't manage to choke myself on the vile stuff is a miracle!

Yeah, being a smoker nowadays is tantamount to being a pariah or a leper. I'm not opposed to them having their own hermetically sealed public areas though where the only people that have to inhale their lvl 22 stinking cloud is themselves. Poor Joxer. When they see him coming they must all avert their eyes and politely scatter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xI9ts-gioY

Back
Top Bottom