BioWare - Cancelled Bioware RPGs

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Both sound more interesting than populist shite such as DAI or Andromeda.

Real question is why Obsidian didn't do JE II?

I played and finished Jade Empire, but never liked it much. In hindsight I wonder if that was their first attempt at an "awesome button", and therefore I'm kind of glad they didn't pursue JE2.

To me, it always felt like an overt and blatant mainstream edition of their design paradigm in console form.

The masterplan was to betray all existing fans and except ToR, launch also E. But it happened EA had not enough $ to maintain servers for so many MMO crap, even their most popular Pet Society server, a phonegame millions played on facebook, was short lived.

… paradigm…
Again?
Are you currently playing FF13? Here's hope you aren't.

Jade Empire was legit and super creative but it didn't sell as much as they wanted it to.

A more familiar setting for dumb sheeple plus having the word "dragon" in your title has a much wider commercial appeal. It's incredible how much this genre has been dumbed down esp. over the last ten years.

Last edited:
I liked Jade Empire despite its relatively simple mechanics (which in retrospect show the direction Bioware was going) but it at least had an original setting and (in my opinion) very nice story twist, as well as some memorable characters. I started a second playthrough but only made about 1/2 the way through. For that reason its not a "classic" in my opinion, but it is a good action rpg.

I enjoyed Jade Empire Special Edition for the PC. Good characters, story, effects and gameplay. Perhaps not the most complex of games, but had plenty of good stuff, plenty of fun and definitely fun for me.

__

Last edited:

Emm… could be, maybe, somebody thought that QC, beta testing, and all that might be important… Wasn't until FNV (2010) that Obsidian started getting and applying that message to their games.

__

… was to stay alive somehow and don't go bankrupt. ;)
That's capitalism 101 for y'all ;)

A company that earned billions on Sims expansions going bankrupt?
Not gonna happen at least till a competitor finally appears.

Capitalism 101 in that company is basically all sorts of fraud. They're selling also something called stuff packs which are horse armor crap, taxfree virtual currencies and pay2win whatnot in their phonegames.

Finally watched the complete video, subject of this thread. It is quite interesting and says, among other things that BW teased a Jade Empire 2 but never followed through because sales of Jade Empire didn't reach the level BW wanted.

Seemed to me that BW could have increased sales via mod tools; however, BW never released a toolset for JE. I did some checking on the web and found a discussion at Giant Bomb that said this:

Unfortunately Bioware decided not to release any modding tools for Jade Empire. In hindsight it could be speculated that this is one of the reasons - if not the main reason - why the game did not leave the same lasting impression as other Bioware titles. There is no toolset and no source code for most of the game's scripts. The modding community jumped in and ported most of their KotOR tools to Jade Empire - except one: MDLOps. MDLOps made it possible to export KoTORs models to 3d-editors and import them back into the game. Without MDLOps the world of the Jade Empire remained ineditable. It's quite possible that this missing puzzle piece is the reason why the modding activity around this game fizzled rather quickly.

Shame really. Something as simple as releasing mod tools might have changed the history of BW. More sales on this could possibly have allowed BW to stay independent, perhaps become their own publisher, had they wanted to do so. Certainly would have given them more continuing income.

<Shrug> Can't change the past. Still, can learn from past.

__

A company that earned billions on Sims expansions going bankrupt?

Did EA already own Bioware when Jade Empire was made ?

Surprised no one mentioned that thing called Shadow Realms

( though honestly, it looked outdated with Kotor like mess of gameplay)

Did EA already own Bioware when Jade Empire was made ?

Jade Empire (Xbox) was released 2005. Jade Empire Special Edition for PC released March 1 2007. BW's corporate history, per Wikipedia:

"n November 2005, it was announced that BioWare and Pandemic Studios (itself founded by former Activision employees) would be joining forces, with private equity fund Elevation Partners investing in the partnership. On October 11, 2007, however, it was announced that this new partnership (organized as VG Holding Corp) had been bought by Electronic Arts.

So Jade Empire was before EA acquisition. But decisions on JE2 would have been after acquisition.

__

Back
Top Bottom