Lords of Xulima - Video Preview @ IndieRPGs

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
IndieRPGs.com Craig Stern plays Lords of Xulima in a new video preview.

My first impression was almost entirely positive. The game’s art style is lovely, its musical score is great, and it just comes across as very polished in almost every respect. The mixture of Baldur’s Gate-like isometric exploration and Might and Magic-y first person combat works much better than I expected, making for a legitimately compelling experience. I particularly enjoyed the game’s tendency to scatter hidden goodies all over the world map, rewarding careful exploration.
More information.

Can't wait for the final version … I think I'll start this soon.

If someone has not bought LoX yet - here is the direct link to the store.

-> Support Indies!

THIS.

This is the most surprisingly good game of the year. You'll get your money's worth and then some.

Indeed! And if you play it and have feedback also stop by in the steam forums.
The developers are not just writing multiple answers each day, giving feedback about the bugs and fixing them, but also implementing lots of stuff they receive as suggestions in the forum. Just check this thread as good example: http://steamcommunity.com/app/296570/discussions/0/35220315825139093/

Well I'm currently playing and if I have one complaint it is that the game path is very narrow (tightly balanced) so you seem to have a pretty predefined path you have to follow and if you fail to follow it well curtains. This is slightly different from some other free roaming games where there are a variety of directions you can go with a reasonable chance to succeed. They do let you estimate the difficulty of a path by clicking on the visible enemies and I can understand why it is easier for them to design the game the way they did but still i felt commenting on it.
-
Not sure if it opens up more later on (I'm aruond level 5 or 6 and have visited 3 areas to some degree; and thank goodness I was finally able to whack those annoying greedy gate guards in the first city).

Thanks for the tip on buying direct from devs - not only does it give them greater income, but it worked out cheaper (exchange rate?) via their site than via Steam. Just downloading now - looks like a fascinating mash-up of my favourite M&M and BG.

This game was completely under my radar, but now this post had me excited for it. There are so many interesting RPGs in the works, it is hard to keep up.

Yup this one is already bought and sitting ready to be played, just waiting for the normal silly amounts of patches to hit.

Same here. No matter. First wasteland2 and risen3.
WhAT a great year !!

Can't wait for the final version … I think I'll start this soon.

If someone has not bought LoX yet - here is the direct link to the store.

-> Support Indies!

Quick question for those that have followed this. Is it only available via steam or is there a DRMfree version?

The DRM-Free version will be available for final release Wisdom. For now they are using Steam to Beta test it for bugs, as other kickstarters have done.
The final version of Lords of Xulima will launch in September 2014 for all platforms and sales portals, including DRM-free versions. It will initially be in both English and Spanish, and available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Yub, just to avoid confusion later on: The final release might also be in October.

The timeframe they mention in the update from first of August is September/October.

My guess is it's rather October. Not because they couldn't release it before, but because I think that they are looking for a very high polish and unlike Wasteland they probably want to get some feedback for the other half of the game first. There are some mechanics they are still adjusting.

Last edited:
I agree Kordanor as it was a quote from the games webpage.;)

Though I think a November release is better as it will give them more time to fix the game. To me the game is already a hit, and I can't wait to play the final version.

There are way too many games coming out that I want to play in too short of a time span.

Oh well.. I guess that's better than not having enough. :)

Just bought this game and its pretty good for a indie title. Actually pretty difficult at normal level, wish some of the classes were a little more fleshed out (barbarian, thief kind of underwhelming). Hopefully that is improved little later on. Otherwise has some great features and if you need a party rpg fix, this game is for you.

They will get more and more skills the further they advance. As far as I understand it they are giving the Thief some love now and wanted to take care of the barb next.

Thanks. I will buy this when it's finished and without steam. Looks great.

They will get more and more skills the further they advance. As far as I understand it they are giving the Thief some love now and wanted to take care of the barb next.

I am glad to see a positive thread because my impression is negative and I hope I am wrong as I go deeper into the game.
I started over 3 times to try different characters. I cannot say different "builds" because there are not builds. You just pick and go as far as I can tell.
But once you level up-- and it is a very hard game.. so tough to level-- you don't really have any significant choices.
For example-- why would I put more points into another weapon for my thief? I have a bow now, and to use a dagger I would A) have to switch to the front row and lose a precious attack and B) waste a chance to increase my feeble chance to hit by specing another weapon.
Really it looks like the level ups just throttle you into a narrow choice.
And I realized why-- there is no "fun" agonizing choices like "wow should I add poison damage to my attack or up the damage or penetration?
Hmmm should I buy an Ice spell with a secondary effect or increase my flame damage to Uber?
GRANTED - i just started playing the game-- but it was a grind to get to level 2 and my reward was not that exciting-- I am not getting that feeling that my character developed and grew and became more distinctive.
The exception is the Arcane soldier. I have a sword skill I increased. Okay cannot really afford to choose another weapon anyway. I increased flame strike on the sword. Okay I get a cool synergy when using the strike and the sword.
But the characters seem paper thin and not much different.
I have Mace guy with many HP, Axe guy with medium HP and can find herbs, Bow guy who can pick locks like a thief etc....

It feels like the MOBs block WAY to often-- so it is a click fest of "ting" "ting" and 2-3 hits kill you dead and same goes for them.
It would be more fun to have many hits with satisfying grunts and graphics, with the occasional big hit when activating a special ability or uber spell to clear the map.
Thats my 2 cents so far
It does not help that there is not a manual yet.

Its pretty nice game, but I have to say that Im not impressed.

- basic plot sounds weak so far… so you play basically god's puppet, do his biding and eventually will fight against evil (god)?
- it seems dialogs are (mostly) done in linear fashion. You cant pick your answers so you cant influence how your hero talks or thinks. Its big mistake IMHO.
- exploration seems a little corridor-like. I know its not linear corridor, but… I would expect more. Somehow it feels more like playing Kings Bounty or HOMM. :)
- combat could use more tactical options, but it looks pretty ok. Hard to judge from early gameplay.

I may be wrong, but these are my impressions.

Exploration is far less corridor like as you advance, it gets far better.

For the rest, this is a game with a bad half-serious plot, but this is no different from something like Wizardry or Might and Magic.

And it does have more options than usual blobbers, like multiple position slots to switch to in battle, critical fails, and bleeding.

Back
Top Bottom