|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Anyone play Yakuza series?

Default Anyone play Yakuza series?

January 20th, 2017, 04:00
Recent one just came out, a prequel to the whole series, it seems. About to buy PS4 and this one seems to be getting pretty good reviews, thinking of picking it up.
Seems sort of Japanese version of GTA, even more goofy, plus martial arts, beat'em up style.
--
Rush in and die, dogs…I was a man before I was a king.

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

January 20th, 2017, 14:58
If I didn't read this I wouldn't believe.

The cure for this irrational impulse: watch all Transformers movies in a row without taking any break.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)

January 20th, 2017, 16:00
They are not GTA in Japan, and the world is not open (but areas are large and you can get into shops .. etc.). They are built around a strong story, and therefore expect hours of cutscences to progress the story. I only played Yakuza 4 a little on PS3 and I can see that they have captured Tokyo or other cities very well and they feel live, the combat is satisfying and varied, and the atmosphere is well done.

I would recommend to read reviews and see some gameplay on youtube to give you an idea.

SpoonFULL

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

January 21st, 2017, 06:44
I haven't played any GTA, but from what I've seen, it is similar to GTA in Japan. Basically you play several characters interconnected somehow, all related to the mafia (Yakuza), one character may be part of the mafia, another may be victim of the mafia, another may be a policeman, etc. You play them one after the other (as in different chapters), and each one fights a bit different. They have lots of minigames like GTA, but combat is mostly melee or short range guns.

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

January 21st, 2017, 14:18
GTA5 is Need For Speed game with a story and horrible helicopter controls.
Are you carraccing, helicopterracing, boatracing and airplaneracing 90% of gametime in Yakuza? If not, then that game has nothing in common with GTA5. Dunno about other GTAs.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

January 21st, 2017, 14:44
Not the vehicle part, but the rest of the game has a very GTA-like feel to me. A big city, with lots of missions, side-missions and mini-games to play. I'm not a fan of the genre so maybe there's another game that more closely resembles it.

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

January 21st, 2017, 18:40
If there's no driving then it's not GTA, it's Assasins Creed. Then again, some AC games are not boredom as GTA5.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

January 21st, 2017, 19:29
It really isn't like GTA, but for some reason that's exactly what comes to mind when you're playing

Elel

Devout Priestess of RPGs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

January 21st, 2017, 19:38
It's like saying Saints Row 4 is like GTA. It does start as GTA, one of your initial missions contain driving a car (Fallout world) then your first side mission says "pimp my car" and after you upgrade the car, the game shows you a middlefinger as it's not GTA - you're never forced to drive anything till the end of the game.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

January 21st, 2017, 19:50
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
GTA5 is Need For Speed game with a story and horrible helicopter controls.
Are you carraccing, helicopterracing, boatracing and airplaneracing 90% of gametime in Yakuza? If not, then that game has nothing in common with GTA5. Dunno about other GTAs.
You're sure it isn't an MMO?

Lol, this is soooo Japan:

loading…
--
Rush in and die, dogs…I was a man before I was a king.

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

January 21st, 2017, 20:02
Dunno nothing about console MMOs.
None of them dethroned WoW (MMO grinder with RPG elements), none dethroned Maple Story (2D), none dethroned League of Legends (MOBA). I guess console MMOs just all suck or are overhyped yet apart from hush$ media no player speaks something positive about those (Destiny).

To be honest I wish consoles were MMO only platform and PC singleplayer only, it'd be a win-win situation.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

+1:

January 22nd, 2017, 22:00
Doublepost, but I had to.
For everyone who won't upgrade PC for cheap but plans to buy playstation instead, this is your musthave game:

loading…

Selling point.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

July 27th, 2018, 03:58
Yakuza 0 is almost out. Review on PC Gamer: https://www.pcgamer.com/yakuza-0-review/
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

July 27th, 2018, 13:04
On one hand that review wasn't really needed because it repeats the same thing old reviews from rubbishware were saying (and also one screenshot features ABXY idiocy, well at least we know it's not playstation version being reviewed). On another, without a PC gaming site review, some people would never hear about it's PC version because it's not really a mainstream title/series. On "the third" hand, it's always nice to hear about performance and controls.
As for the PC port, it's mostly solid. There's plenty of scope to tweak graphics options, with 4K resolution support, supersampling and a handful of more granular options. And while a gamepad is recommended, I found keyboard and mouse an acceptable alternative—although I did miss analogue 360 degree movement during fights. Both keyboard and gamepad are remappable, too, although the default keyboard bindings seem pretty sensible.

Performance wise, I've tested on both a GTX 1070 using a 165Hz, 1440p monitor, and on an R9 Fury X using a 3440x1440 ultrawide monitor (albeit letterboxed). Both ran well, maintaining well over 60fps on the highest graphic settings. Weirdly, I did experience some light stutter on my GTX 1070 machine, but only when playing in borderless windowed mode, and only when using keyboard and mouse. Otherwise, it's been perfectly smooth. Perhaps the most notable issue is how Yakuza 0 scales to higher resolutions. There's some notable aliasing on the subtitles of cutscenes and on the map. It's not a major fault, but it's not ideal when you're meant to be paying attention to the content of the subtitles, not the presentation.

Putting up with a minor annoyance is worth it, because Yakuza 0 is one of the most eccentric, idiosyncratic and downright charming games around. It deftly moves between drama and humour, between story and action, between arcade action and lengthy, well written pulp dialogue about a man who is incredibly good at punching. There's simply nothing else quite like it, and it's well worth your time.
Means, disable borderless window junk option.

Me? Honestly cannot wait to play it.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

July 29th, 2018, 03:59
It certainly sounds interesting - I'm getting something of a Saints Row feel from what I've read.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

July 29th, 2018, 04:23
Played the PS2 & PS3 versions, and I'll buy them all again on the PC when released.
--
"Haga Berka Gopa Unama Innrev " - Trump Minion #1

Translation: "Make America great again Donald"

Couchpotato

Trump Minion #1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

August 2nd, 2018, 01:55
It's out now. PC Gamer has a 10 things you should know article.
--

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

August 2nd, 2018, 02:01
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
It certainly sounds interesting - I'm getting something of a Saints Row feel from what I've read.
Sorta, but it's a very Japanese game, which I guess makes the jokes even more ridiculous for not!Japanese.
--
Mission Impossible: clean that overgrown backlog. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

August 2nd, 2018, 03:32
I like the premise of the games, but I'm guessing they'll be a bit too action oriented for my liking. I'll be reading thoughts, though.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

August 2nd, 2018, 06:12
Is Yakuza 0 an MMO? Does it have co-op? It's pretty cheap; I might get it.

UPDATE! Looks pretty funny. Downloading now. Impressions soon.

UPDATE2! Very story heavy. Probably 95% of the first hour is story. Combat seems pretty good, but even on Hard its still been very easy so far. Playing with controller. Seems like it would run well on any PC from the last decade.

UPDATE3! It gets harder. The challenge is definitely there on hard. Everyone can relax now!
Last edited by SirJames; August 2nd, 2018 at 15:43.

SirJames

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Anyone play Yakuza series?