RPGWatch - Game of the Year Awards 2018

Surprised no one else picked Greedfall. As it look to be a vast improvement over Spider's past RPGs. Basically Focus Entertainment forked over a bigger budget.

It's like my #4/5 pick.

But I might not buy it. I bought only two games in 2018: Subnautica and Kingmaker. The rest were crowdfunded years before they released or free stuff.

I'm buying The Outer World for sure and Cyberpunk 2077 if its release, the rest will depend on my mood. I still need to finish Kingmaker and replay POE2 with all the DLCs at some point anyway.

I have my eye on Greedfall, but in the end it might turn out to be just a bit action-y for me. I'll be waiting to read what others think of it before I pick it up, that much is certain. And questioning friends!

My most anticipated games for 2019 are:

• Cyberpunk 2077
  • Phoenix Point
  • Wasteland 3

It was a difficult process of getting some 110+ rpgs down to a 35 game list. I'm playing Insomnia now, and I also think its a good game, but it still would have not gotten one of my top 4 votes (nor would it have if had been released anytime in the last 5 years), so I did not fight for its inclusion. Insomnia has very mixed reviews due to its current state and its release state. I think one can enjoy it despite the bugs and issues still present, but we decided to include less well known rpgs that got a postive or very positive Steam reception, if someone could confirm that they had heard from another player that they were good. Insomnia did not make the cut for this reason. If we hadn't done this our list would have been around 60 games instead of 35.

Thanks for the details. No worries. I just thought it was a bit of a hidden gem. I agree it is pretty buggy and keep hoping they will fix it (like Owlcat did for PK).

While not necessarily the best games I played in 2018, here are the best games which released in 2018 for me:

1. Dragon Quest XI
2. Valkyria Chronicles 4
3. Kenshi

In regards to 2019, I'm excited for:

1. Cyberpunk 2077
2. The Outer Worlds
3. Phoenix Point

I'm looking forward to Cyberpunk in 2020. Even if it shows up, there's no way I'm playing it in 2019. Gotta wait for all that free DLC and patchwork to be done first!

P.S. Thanks for getting this out so soon after the breach!

Are you really surprised considering the discussions around the Watch? Although, I can't say if it is funny or sad that all three were crowdfunded.

Not really no, I guess I was just stating the obvious. :)

My amateur guess is that KCD is too divisive to claim first place. A lot of players seem to not want to play it because it's not a fantasy game. They think it will be a drab medieval experience with too much realism and not enough dragons, elves and magic.

So then it comes down to P:K or POE2. You heard it here first folks, P:K will take the throne because of it's superior rule system and for delivering an amazing isometric RPG experience of the likes we haven't seen since BG2.

So this is for the community votes of course. I have no idea what the editors will choose. Probably P:K as well.

If Cyberpunk gets pushed to 2020, there's a good chance Greedfall will actually be my GOTY of 2019. That's not really a great sign for 2019 though, but the last few years have been excellent for me, so I don't mind a "catch up" year.

On the other hand if CP77 gets published and Greedfall and e.g. The Other World turn out great it's going to be a really good year. ;)

I dont know anything about Greedfall - what makes it so good?

hmm, nothing. It's made by Spiders who only make low budget action RPGs. I was never not entertained by their games despite their multiple shortcomings though.

Yep, they've made 3 games so far. Mars: War Logs (2013), Bound by Flames (2014) and Technomancer (2016). With the exception of Bound by Flames the games have been quite enjoyable. They're improving. While we don't have information about for Mars: War Logs, the development time of the other tow games was quite short. They take more time for Greedfall now which indicates better content.

I voted Greedfall but with reservations as previous games were borderline fighting games with such light weight RPG elements. Lets hope this is their "big" foray into a game at least as rich as Risen 1.

They just need to replace Sony's consoley engine with something better.

I didn't bother to vote as I played Fallout 76 the most of any game and it wasn't on the list.

I played Pathfinder the next most but it was a buggy mess that makes Fallout 76 look bug free. Also, the timed quests knocks it out of any contention. I would vote it for most potential to eventually become a game though. To be honest Chapter 1 was great and the rest of the game wasn't really done when I played it on release.

ATOM RPG is pretty good too, but it feels too short to really be a contender for me. It is also feels almost too Fallout to be its own thing. It's like Fallout 1:Russia to me.

I didn't bother to vote as I played Fallout 76 the most of any game and it wasn't on the list.
O_O

Where did those numerous RPGmaker roguelikes with ancient graphics go then? You sure none of those was nominated? :evilgrin:

Back
Top Bottom