KotOR 3 - Rejected by EA on Multiple Occasions

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@GamePressure Bioware has tried to start work on Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 3 multiple times.

Jason Schreier from Kotaku shared on Twitter some quite depressing news for Star Wars fans. According to his sources, BioWare tried several times to start work on the third installment of the legendary RPG series Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. However, the studio did not have much luck. The game project was always rejected by the publisher, Electronic Arts. Unfortunately, we don't know any further details in this matter. We don't know when exactly the developer presented the idea for the new installment or whether Lucasfilm wasn't the reason for rejection.

[...]
Thanks porcozaur!

More information.

Not surprised as EA doesn't know how to make a good StarWars game.:(

xtvrhsc0uxa21.jpg

And this is EA's future StarWars Lineup.:(

From the linked article in the news-bit.

1. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order [Respawn Entretainment] – slated for release most likely in autumn 2019 [PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One]
  2. Smaller and not yet titled game [EA/Motive Vancouver] – most probably slated for release in 2020
  3. Second smaller and not yet titled project [EA/Motive Montreal] – release date unknown
  4. Star Wars: Rise to Power [EA Capital Games] – release date unknown [Android, iOS]

That is depressing. I would love a few more Star Wars crpg's. Sci-fi is one of my favourite genres for games and they have proven themselves time and time again i.e. KoToR, Mass Effect etc.

Star Wars, story driven RPG would be so great. But why bother when creating MP FPS is so much easier and in-game store selling skins can generate huge profits. Just now they surely go through endless brainstormings how to copy Fortnite formula in SW. Meh.

Can kotor 3 have lootboxes? No? Cancelled.

That is depressing. I would love a few more Star Wars crpg's. Sci-fi is one of my favourite genres for games and they have proven themselves time and time again i.e. KoToR, Mass Effect etc.

I doubt the current bioware can do a Kotor 3 justice though :/. Still, what the hell is EA doing? 2 games in 6 years???? Talk about wasted IP..

I have accepted that we will not see a Kotor 3 any time soon. It appears that their MMO has taken over the star wars universe.

Also, as others have said, Bioware does not appear capable of making "good" games anymore. Add EA in the equation and you have a game that would probably be a severe letdown.

Is it Bioware's alleged incapability or EA's directives?

Perhaps EA directives led to Bioware incapability in time? I suppose today (without possibility to go back anymore) it almost doesnt matter what is cause and what is consequence.

Looks like any Star Wars game that doesn't have online content is being rejected, so , all I can say is thanks Electronic Arts for saving me some money!! One day perhaps they'll get the message, but I seriously doubt it.

The huge problem with big studios is that they don't want to make smaller games, even if they are profitable. They are interested in huge releases with potentially huge profits. They want to limit the number of games in their portfolio so they can market them. One of the exceptions is Ubisoft who has an internal contest where small projects are pitched and one small project "wins" the opportunity to get made. This has resulted in games like Might and Magic X and Child of Light. And the studio does this not because they have any interest in the profit those games made, but to keep their developers sharp.

EA executives... "What if, anytime you wanted to use your lightsaber, you had to pay a virtual quarter?"

Bioware... *birds chirping*

I doubt the current bioware can do a Kotor 3 justice though :/. Still, what the hell is EA doing? 2 games in 6 years???? Talk about wasted IP..

What is Disney doing?

Everything I've heard about working with Star Wars is that the IP owner (LucasArts an Disney)) wants to control everything. I suspect that Disney might have a lots of responsible in the lack of games being made…

Disney love lootboxes so that's no the reasons. The reason is probably more the lack of Jedi, Millenium Falcon and Wookies shoehorned everywhere.

Saying that, there was also that article I saw last week about EA CEO, who joined after the deal was signed, that was saying he wasn't a fan of the deal and kinda wanted to get ride of it (but that would cost money, so better wait until 2023 and not renew it).

Not surprised as EA doesn't know how to make a good StarWars game.:(

xtvrhsc0uxa21.jpg

It omits SWTOR, somehow.

SWTOR is right now the closest thing we can get as an replacement for KOTO 3.

But EA … I do hope they'll take the license from them. They are far too much profit-oriented and thuis don't know what a fan wants.

Except for SWTOR, maybe. But … sometimes I have the feeling as if EA is strangling Bioware to death, so to say.

Can kotor 3 have lootboxes? No? Cancelled.

Very likely this. The result of profit-greediness over fan-service.

I don't even want a KotOR 3, as if it ever happens, it won't be like 1 and 2, it will be a fast paced shooter/slasher.

It omits SWTOR, somehow.

SWTOR is right now the closest thing we can get as an replacement for KOTO 3.

But EA … I do hope they'll take the license from them. They are far too much profit-oriented and thuis don't know what a fan wants.

Except for SWTOR, maybe. But … sometimes I have the feeling as if EA is strangling Bioware to death, so to say.
Maybe but see it's an online F2P game so no its not KotOR3.
Looks like any Star Wars game that doesn't have online content is being rejected, so , all I can say is thanks Electronic Arts for saving me some money!! One day perhaps they'll get the message, but I seriously doubt it.
Yep EA themselves has done everything they can and admitted SP is not their focus anymore. Every game they now fund must be an online service with countless DLC.

Better yet they love to fund mobile sequels instead of PC games.:biggrin:

Last edited:
i think they should just go ahead and make the KOTOR movie.

I'm going re-post an older comment for posterity.:biggrin:
EA just wants to make only cheap player vs player death match style games, and monetize them as much as they can get away with, because they don't care what players want, they only care about maximizing profit and minimizing effort.

Not suprised at all. Kotor is a winning formula, but EA will rather sit on it and force devs to devellop MMO carbage. The idea of a story driven single player rpg with AAA budget scares them. Lets not have players get used to quality... MMO crap is selling, so why bother.

Back
Top Bottom