Wasteland 2 - Kickstarter Successful!

It really is hard to not be excited about this.

Not so much for the game itself (which I'm excited enough about), but just for what this symbolizes.

In just about any creative medium, from books to movies to music to TV, there's always a publisher or producer that acts as a gatekeeper between artistic creators, and the fans who want what they can produce. This crowd-sourcing phenomenon has the potential to blow the doors off that, and it just strikes me as really wild, and with all sorts of wonderful opportunities. I'm excited to be a part of this project.

Here's hoping to Wasteland 2's success...

Don't stop pledging!

I would love to see this become the big "FU" to the modern game industry and the way the modern CRPG has become a watered down husk of it's former self! This could easily reach 4 or 5 mil in a month and then who knows what we could get!

I just woke up and $920K!!!!!

Let's make it go over $1.5 mil :)

Can this be a return of the golden age of cRPGs?

Yes it is awesome news and I hope it keeps rising. The more they get beyond $900,000 the more elaborate the game will be. It is still early and the sky is the limit!

This and the Double Fine one feel like great victories for empowering developers and their fans. I hope this marks the start of a revolution in the industry that brings us a greater diversity of games.

This is awesome news! Just one question. The the link states that the kickstarter will end in 33 days. Does that mean no one will be able to contribute after that? Why would there be a cutoff period?

Called it.

All right, it wasn't that hard to call. Whoever is monitoring their comments also asked me to spread the word that the final release will be available as a direct download, sans Steam if that's not your thing.

Last edited:
Just gave them $150 because of all the great memories I had of the first game back in the late 80's. It better come with a clue book that has a fake martian storyline :) A top five game in my book any day.

"Kickstarter takes 5% of the funds raised; Amazon charges an additional 3-5%", so it's not entirely perfect - even with no publisher, there are still money leaks here. But, triumph anyway. Also: royalties to the developer. Unprecedented.

"Kickstarter takes 5% of the funds raised; Amazon charges an additional 3-5%", so it's not entirely perfect - even with no publisher, there are still money leaks here. But, triumph anyway. Also: royalties to the developer. Unprecedented.

you forgot 30-40% (Steam), i dont know what the other DD sites charges, but probably less (20'ish %).

Source? *edit, found it: http://www.kickstarter.com/start ...personally, I think that's kind of high for a couple companies standing around and doing nothing. Still better than a publisher's dictates I suppose.

I go through BMT Micro and Plimus - they are more "full-service" shops, handling things like affiliate sales, chargebacks, etc. - and they charge about 10%.

Well done Mr Fargo. Now don't mess this up. Even though I kicked in 50 bucks, I'm still a bit skeptical given Inxile's past history. Still hiring all those guys who worked on Wasteland was a great PR move.

Back
Top Bottom