The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

Just got to Eveningstar last night…first time I've seen soo much cutscene in DDO. Also that village has some real nice items. Too bad they are level 20 though. Also Insightful Bonus stacks with regular gear bonus ie: Charisma +7 will stack with insightful Charisma bonus +2 for a total of 9? No more stacking for Charisma beyond Insightful?

I've had a ton of fun in this game this last year and I wanted to thank you guys for adding me to the guild, Happy New Year!

You can find up to +8 enhancement, +3 Insight, +1 Exceptional, +5 tome, +1 Profane (one item IIRC has this, and it's a bear to get) on gear/permanent buffs. There's also store pots for +2, Yugoloth favor pots for another +2, and ship buffs for yet another +2 temporary. Notice that the Yugo potions have drawbacks, notably having to be a bad enough dude to run Shavarath quests on elite to get the favor! But they also hurt your character in some small way. Finally, the Bard song Inspire Excellence adds +2 to all stats.

These all stack. Theoretically, you can net a 51 CHA on Dwarves, Warforged, Half-Orcs, 53 CHA on Elf, Halflings, 54 on Humans and Half-elves, and 55 on Drow (functionally the same as Human and Half-Elf). Favored Souls can actually net 2 higher, but this is worthless as they do not get DCs from CHA, only spell points (which they'll have plenty of with an 8 base. I leveled such a FvS).

For STR and CON, there's actually a +3 Profane bonus, then Morale bonuses (Rage spell is +2, or Primal Scream which I think is +6), and Madstone Rage (which can double stack), STR has a +6 or +8 Psionic bonus, +6 from Titan gloves, +8 from Power Surge. Barbarian Rage also adds considerable STR. Someone once posted a 110 STR peak on the DDO forums.

Note I may be missing something obscure as well.

I'm reviewing my TWF paladin / fighter build. He is a Defender of Siberys at the moment. The reason I do that is that it seems you don't get many good bonuses form Epic Destinies for TWF. Most are for THF.

I therefore wonder if I should respec my toon and make him a THF fighter. He is human and I have to keep the race with a LR.

Are the other classes that can do great DPS with TWF, even at the end game? I have plenty of Khopeshes so I could considere using them.

An alternative is to go for a fighter build using greataxes / greatsword (stalwart defender). Then the fighter can use a Khopesh when using a sword for good defense.

What do you think? It's cheaper to respec my pally now (only 12 paladin levels) rather than waiting till level 20. I could go for a fighter 18 / pally 2 build for better saves or maybe even a pure fighter.

I know rangers are great with TWF, but I heard they are gimped as paladins in the end game. Some say the best TWF DPS comes from rogues with sneak attacks. I can always revert back to TWF later if Turbine makes it better again when they change the enhancement system. At the people say TWF is inferior to THF in the end game.

Or can a kensai TWF fighter build compete with a THF build? Can you use cleave and greater cleave if TWF? I would like to have overwhelming critical.

I have tried to transfer some money from my bank account to PayPal, so with a lot of luck I might perhaps be able to buy MOTU from this 50% sale … Today is the last day for that !

To drop 12 Paladin levels will require 3 weeks, two +5 lesser hearts, and 1 +3.

TBH, you have the khopeshes already, including lit2 and 3xpos. Do you really want to recraft everything? You can use cleave etc, it's not as good as thf since it's mainhand only, but it works. Rachail is a twf khopesh build, with O crit.

THF has much more synergy with the dps eds now, and of course the eSoS. Which you don't have. So for you, the differences will probably be minimal.

More after work.

Rangers are slightly above Paladins dps-wise, about even on survivability.

Personally, the versatility of TWF seems more valuable to me than squeezing the last tenth of a point out of average dps (assuming there really is a difference). This coming from the guy with a greataxe barbarian and a great club barbarian… Although Wouldii was more squishy than I liked, he was my best melee killer. If I was going to build a melee killer (not necessarily true dps, but overall killing power), I'd probably put together some sort of TWF fighter build, although I'd try to get crits into the mix which is a little different from what Az did with Rachail.

Simply put, with TWF you can put twice as many effects into play. Paralyze, stun, * burst/blast, disrupt/smite/banish, stone? Have them all without having to change weapon sets in the middle of the fight. Sure, those won't be as helpful against bosses, but there's a whole lot more trash in the game than red names and there's more to DDO than killing Harry in one round. Perhaps it's different in PUGs and solo (which Peter does more than most of us), but being skilled at taking out the trash has more overall value to a party that's working together. Bosses are trivial if the entire party can focus solely on them.

What's the standard strategy? Take out the trash, then focus on the boss. What's the key to making that work? Surviving the beating from the boss while dealing with the trash. Killing the trash quicker means less damage from the boss. Case in point: that last Harbinger quest with the uber mind flayer. Why can't we do it on elite? Not because the boss is tougher, but because we can't deal with the trash (#$%@& beholders) fast enough to be able to avoid the super mind blasts thru buffs or mobility. Drop down to hard and we're suddenly in business (particularly if we've actually solved the mystery of the super mind blast). So what's going to be more useful to the party- tip-top dps, or better killing?

Last edited:
I wanted to make a fighter 18 / paladin 2 build.
So I can use 2x +5 lesser hearts. I need to drop from 12 paladin levels to 2.
That will take just 1 week. Instantly to fighter 7 / paladin 7. One week later to fighter 12 / paladin 2.

Here is my example build. Comments please. :)

Code:
[u][b]Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.14.02[/b][/u]
[url=http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO]DDO Character Planner Home Page[/url]

[B][U]Peters Stauffenberg TWF[/U][/B]
Level 20 Lawful Good Human Male
(18 Fighter \ 2 Paladin) 
Hit Points: 412
Spell Points: 0 
BAB: 20\20\25\30\30
Fortitude: 23
Reflex: 14
Will: 11

[B]                  Starting          Feat/Enhancement
Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
[U](36 Point)[/U]       [U](Level 1)[/U]             [U](Level 20)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=navy]Strength             18                    31
Dexterity            14                    18
Constitution         16                    21
Intelligence          8                    12
Wisdom                8                    12
Charisma             12                    17[/COLOR]

[B][U]Tomes Used[/U][/B]
[COLOR=navy]+1 Tome of Strength used at level 3
+1 Tome of Dexterity used at level 3
+1 Tome of Constitution used at level 3
+1 Tome of Intelligence used at level 3
+1 Tome of Wisdom used at level 3
+1 Tome of Charisma used at level 3
+2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
+2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
+2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
+2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7
+2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7
+2 Tome of Charisma used at level 7
+3 Tome of Strength used at level 11
+3 Tome of Dexterity used at level 11
+3 Tome of Constitution used at level 11
+3 Tome of Intelligence used at level 11
+3 Tome of Wisdom used at level 11
+3 Tome of Charisma used at level 11
+4 Tome of Strength used at level 15
+4 Tome of Dexterity used at level 15
+4 Tome of Constitution used at level 15
+4 Tome of Intelligence used at level 15
+4 Tome of Wisdom used at level 15
+4 Tome of Charisma used at level 15
[/COLOR]
[B]                  Starting          Feat/Enhancement
                 Base Skills         Modified Skills
[U]Skills[/U]           [U](Level 1)[/U]            [U](Level 20)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=navy]Balance               2                    15
Bluff                 1                     6
Concentration         3                     8
Diplomacy             1                     6
Disable Device       n/a                    n/a
Haggle                1                     3
Heal                 -1                     3
Hide                  2                     4
Intimidate            1                     6
Jump                  8                    30
Listen               -1                     1
Move Silently         2                     4
Open Lock             n/a                   n/a
Perform               n/a                   n/a
Repair               -1                     1
Search               -1                     1
Spot                 -1                     1
Swim                  4                    10
Tumble                n/a                   n/a
Use Magic Device      3                    14
[/COLOR]
[B][U]Level 1 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=peru]Skill: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Jump (+4)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=peru]Skill: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Use Magic Device (+2)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Past Life) Past Life: Paladin[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Past Life) Past Life: Paladin[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Human Bonus) Power Attack[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Selected) Toughness[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Fighter Bonus) Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Fighter Attack Boost I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Fighter Haste Boost I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Fighter Critical Accuracy I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Fighter Toughness I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 2 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=peru]Skill: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Balance (+0.5)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=peru]Skill: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Use Magic Device (+0.5)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Human Improved Recovery I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Human Versatility I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Paladin Extra Smite Evil I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 3 (Paladin)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Selected) Cleave[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Racial Toughness I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Paladin Charisma I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 4 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=orchid]Ability Raise: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]STR[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Fighter Bonus) Two Weapon Fighting[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Human Versatility II[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Fighter Strength I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 5 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Fighter Armor Mastery I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Human Adaptability Strength I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 6 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Selected) Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Khopesh[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Fighter Bonus) Weapon Specialization: Slashing Weapons[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Racial Toughness II[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Fighter Toughness II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 7 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Fighter Attack Boost II[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Fighter Critical Accuracy II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 8 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=peru]Skill: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Balance (+1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Fighter Bonus) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Kensei Khopesh Mastery I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Fighter Kensei I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 9 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Selected) Great Cleave[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Human Improved Recovery II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 10 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Fighter Bonus) Stunning Blow[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Fighter Khopesh Specialization I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Fighter Toughness III[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 11 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Fighter Strength II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 12 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=peru]Skill: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Jump (+2)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Selected) Greater Two Weapon Fighting[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Fighter Bonus) Improved Two Weapon Fighting[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Fighter Toughness IV[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 13 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Human Greater Adaptability Constitution I[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 14 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=peru]Skill: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Jump (+2)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Fighter Bonus) Greater Weapon Specialization: Slashing Weapons[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Fighter Haste Boost II[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Fighter Kensei II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 15 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Selected) Past Life: Soldier of the Faith[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Racial Toughness III[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 16 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=peru]Skill: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Jump (+3)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Fighter Bonus) Greater Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Fighter Haste Boost III[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 17 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=peru]Skill: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Jump (+1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Fighter Strength III[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 18 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=peru]Skill: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Jump (+3)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Selected) Improved Sunder[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dodgerblue]Feat: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy](Fighter Bonus) Superior Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Kensei Khopesh Mastery II[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Fighter Khopesh Specialization II[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 19 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=peru]Skill: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Jump (+1)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Fighter Critical Accuracy III[/COLOR]

[B][U]Level 20 (Fighter)[/U][/B]
[COLOR=peru]Skill: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Jump (+4)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Fighter Attack Boost III[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Kensei Khopesh Mastery III[/COLOR]
[COLOR=dimgray]Enhancement: [/COLOR][COLOR=navy]Fighter Kensei III[/COLOR]

kensai isn't about damage on a normal hit, it's about damage on a crit and how often that crit occurs. Which would be probably 25 percent of the time with kopesh, maybe more. Except for constructs and undead.

Since you want fighter at level 1, don't you have to LR all the way back, even though you'll still have 2 pally levels? I don't remember how that works.

That's very similar to what I'd build. You can decide whether that's a good thing or not. ;) Only thing I'd change (and without having the builder in front of me, I don't know whether it's a pre-req for something) is the attack boost. You're not going to have a problem hitting things. Haste boost is best by far. Damage boost would be second. Attack boost would be a distant, distant third.

edit- oh, not sure about the UMD. Just don't know if you're able to get it to a useful total with a half a point per level cap. Az could best answer that, since he's big on UMD.

kensai isn't about damage on a normal hit, it's about damage on a crit and how often that crit occurs. Which would be probably 25 percent of the time with kopesh, maybe more. Except for constructs and undead.
And boy did that suck rocks when Shadohe was running around the Orchard...

Attack Boost III and Critical Accuracy III are prerequisites for Kensei III.

Khopeshes have 1d8 19-20/x3
With improved critical feat they become 1d8 17-20/x3
Khopesh mastery III increases the weapon to 1d8 16-20/x3

So Khopeshes will crit very often. With 2 weapons you can expect a crit every other round. So 2 GS lit II khopeshes will be awesome against trash.

Overwhelming critical at level 21 will increase the crit to x4 on a roll of 19-20. So khopesh is surely not a bad weapon for dps.

My toon will have decent charisma and human versatility 2. So he can bypass some items with umd around 20 or so. I will carry a cha +7 item and +2 insight charisma. With ship buffs that means cha 28. That is +9 to cha based skill and +9 to all saves when at level 20. That means umd 23. With human versatility and the umd +3 neckclace I can get up to umd 29. Probably more with some buffs from e. g. bards.

I don't expect to be able to cast raise dead scrolls, but I hope to use certain gear with umd limits on (like some greater false life, constitution +6 etc. items I have). There aren't any other skills besides balance and jump I think is worth putting skill points into. If I had been a stalwart defender I would put points into intimidate.

Maybe bluff is a good alternative to umd for skill points. Azraelck can probably answer that. He has bluffed monsters with his fighters.

Last edited:
I was fairly pleased with Shadohe, who was a khopesh kensai build. Only real regret I had at the end was using a shield rather than two weapons. I think she was a 28 point build (32 at best) with no tomes early on, so I didn't have the DEX for TWF without sacrificing STR and CON. I wasn't interested in another two-hander since Phuury was still a great axe barbarian at that point, so I settled for a shield instead. Bad decision, but so it goes. You won't have that DEX problem and the build should suit your play style very well.

My only TWF was my rogue with maxed sneak attacks and maxed TWF enhancements. She did awesome 5 number damage most of the time. She was however, a finesse build.

As Dte says, TWF is king of on-proc effects. You have 80% more attacks with a TWF build vs a THF. This means 80% more chances to paralyze, disrupt, blast with a lightning strike, or what-have-you.

THF does more straight damage, and makes much better use of PA (I don't even notice PA on or off my TWF builds). It also makes better use of Cleave and Great Cleave as the higher damage dies of the THF weapons are made much much stronger.

In the end though, you are already heavily invested in Khopeshes. Use them. To push into top-of-the-line THF dps, you need to farm out an Epic Sword of Shadows. I've more than 70 VoN6 completions total, and haven't seen the BASE item drop. Epic Antique Great Axe is easier to get, the base item is common in Carnival chain rewards, and the mats easy enough to farm, but for a Khopesh user, loot gen and Greensteel or Alchemical are the best.

Dte basically has Rachail spot on, she ditched Kensai's greater DPS for the survivability of Stalwart Defender. However, that's because she is horribly under-geared for her level. Fireflash, actually, is much better geared and prepared for epic content than Rachail.

Khopesh is 19-20 normally, 17-20 with IC:Slash. Kensai III pushes that to 16-20, and LD can bump it to an X4 weapon on a 19-20, and combined with O-Crit X5.

I have never actually bluffed anyone with my Fighters. I keep Bluff for Bluff pulling, which causes the mob to come to you without aggroing it's friends. Basically a seductive come hither glance. ;) Let's me mutilate them in peace. Only Aneira can actually bluff someone. Don't play poker with her.

UMD: 11 ranks + 4 Greater Heroism (15) +6 GS CHA skills item (3xPOS is what I use) (21) +3 Golden Cartouche (24) +1 CHA ship buff (25) +1 House P Ship buff (26) +5 epic levels (31) +6 CHA bonus (going by build above w/+6 CHA item) 37, and +1 for spider mask for 38, +1 from Voice of the Master for 39, or no fail level 6 scrolls. Even at 20, 34 is good for reliable level 5 scrolls and the odd level 6 at about 75% or so chance.

Whats more, most of that is easily obtained and used now. If you have the shards, a single-shard CHA skills item is cheap. GH exists on a low-level clicky, or the odd chance Cairii comes a'courting for some dead bodies to experiment on. You'll only be 3 points down from the level 20 cap, or 31.

Skill boost can be used to make up the gap temporarily, and a Bard's Inspire Competence can add 2 more. Later on, add in Inspire Excellence to add 1 more, meaning you can, buffed, run around with a 42 UMD score. This is not mentioning that, as a Fighter, thou can take Skill Focus: UMD without issue, making it easier to reach that magical no-fail heal scroll number.

Shields are massively better post U14/MotU. With the added PRR and Doublestrike helping to make up for the dps loss, they are neither as far behind offensively (though still considerably behind) and now provide meaningful defense.

Ranger v Paladin

Rangers and Paladins are pretty similar in capabilities, with Rangers pulling ahead in consistent damage against all foes and particularly against their favored enemies (a maxed out Ranger adds 14 damage, which is multiplied in crits, vs a KotC 3d6 or 10.5 avg damage vs Evil Outsiders only). This isn't counting the ED which boosts FE damage further.

Paladins of course have burst damage, somewhat like a fighter, and much higher PRR. The PRR difference is made up for by the Ranger's evasion. Both have good saves, and both have good offensive and defensive buffs and some self-healing for the well built ones.

Both are also feat-starved. Rangers need Dodge, Mobility, and Spring Attack to qualify for Tempest 1, and have a choice of feats for Tempest 3. This offsets their getting the TWF feats for free.

Paladin can go DoS and get higher hp. Otherwise the differences will be marginal at best.

Where the Ranger shines is versatility. A Tempest Ranger still has Manyshot and Improved Precise Shot. You can cut down an army with those two feats, even on a Tempest. IPS allows shots going through an enemy to reach the actual target, but also lets them do damage to any enemy caught in the fire between the ranger and her target.

Rangers also get 6 skill points per level, meaning they can take a Rogue splash for a bit of added DPS, and fill in the trapper skills as well. Since they get Spot and Search as class skills, they only need DD really, though most will invest in UMD as well.

Finally, Tempest Rangers have the advantage over Paladins in that they don't need a lot of stats spread out. DEX to 13 to qualify for Dodge, and the rest can safely go into STR and CON, with a couple points in INT if desired for a trapping build. You can get the needed WIS for the spells easily enough with an item, and Spot isn't an issue since you get Wild Instincts which boosts it. Fireflash was able to do eVoN5 traps, before the epic changes.

I think the best about a paladin is the very high survivability. Paladins are usually the last man standing if the group wipes. Excellent saves and self-healing are the main reasons.

This means the paladin is a good class when you level up from 1 to 20. Especially if you are a TR with good gear and 34+ build points. Then you can have a high constitution and decent strength. With e. g. green steel weapons you can clear trash fast.

The problem with a paladin comes at higher levels if you're well geared. The problem starts at lower levels if you're not well geared. Paladins can only dream of getting above 1000 dp damage on their crititical hits. Usually they score between 300-500. When you compare that to fighters and barbarians who can score over 5000 damage on a critical hit then you see something is seriously wrong. Casters can also regularly score in the thousands on their damage spells.

In the epic level areas even trash monsters have a lot of hit points. So paladins need longer to finish off trash. They might be able to do epic hard quests, but on epic elite the lack of dps will seriously gimp the group.

Even worse for the paladin is that their best abilities (great saves and self-healing and even smites) become available to other classes via the epic destinies. Several destiny trees now have healing as an option. That means all other classes can twist in healing capability. The great AC paladins have can also be obtained by the other classes via epic destinies.

Paladins can, of course, also benefit from the destiny trees like legendary dreadnought and fury of the wild, but it takes a long way to go there. When you get there you still notice that you can't get the best abilities due to lack of feats.

E. g. you rarely can fit in cleave and greater cleave. So no overwhelming critical at level 21. You can't take many of the LD abilities due to lack of certain feats. So the paladin lack of feats really comes back to bite you at the epic levels.

On the other hand. If you focus on your paladin to just be a tank then you will see that the paladin works very well. If you maximize the Unyielding sentinel tree you can easily get over 100 AC with a shield with 1100+ hp. Then the paladin can help the group being their tank.

The problem with this is that most quests are about killing trash and not holding aggro against a boss. Quests like Vision of Destruction aren't run very often. If you play mainly in guild runs and being a tank can protect others from harm then you can still do well. In pug groups people like to complete the quests fast and focus on getting a very high dps to get rid of trash fast. Killing bosses are rarely a problem in quests. Not being able to finish off trash fast enough is the reason you wipe.

I've spoken to several DDO experts and they say Turbine are aware of balance issues regarding classes and races and will do something about that when they revamp the enchancement system. That's probably one reason it's delayed to 2013.

The best reason to play a paladin is if you just want to play to level 20 and then TR. The +5% healing amp and past life ability (+3 attack/+3 damage 3 times per rest) are great past life abilities. At epic levels you will notice that the paladin will suffer. I've heard the ranger is also struggling with the same problem.

If you look at PUG LFM's you will see that the classes they usually don't look for are paladins and rangers. I've even seen some groups ignoring clerics and only look for favored souls and druids. Rogues have actually become stronger with the epic destinies and can actually have very high dps in sneak mode.

Process started. My toon is now fighter 7 / paladin 7. Next Friday he will be fighter 12 / paladin 2. I'm glad I picked umd because I had a very good armor that required umd 20 to use. I got to 19.5 unbuffed, but with ship buffs I got to 21.5 and could use my armor.

OK folks, let's figure out tonight's plan. We have the following quests to run while we're still level 14:
Wiz King and Chains of Flame
Lordsmarch1 series
Invaders!

Since many of us ran Lordsmarch multiple times on alts quite recently, I figure we finish off the Desert tonight. If we make record time on those two long quests, we can tackle Invaders, which is a challenging romp.

That is why you have the Big Book Oh Wise One.:deal:
Sounds like a plan to me. ;)

Just wanted to add that I'm still reading here, although I really can't say when I'll drop in again.
A few more weeks and I'll need a break from SWTOR, too. ;)

The newest DDO Store Sale, by the way :

January 4 - 10

- 20 % off :

- Hearts Of Wood
- 32 Point Build
- Veteran Status
- Name Change Parchment

More details here : http://www.ddo.com/us/ddostoresale

Free Sample Of The Week :

January 4 - 10
Astral Shards x20
Use Coupon Code ASTR20
1/Account

That's all.

Well Mirys has her LitII crafted. 5 more Shrouds, and I'll have her sp/CHA skills/3xPOS bracers ready. I even have enough smalls and mediums to pull another 2nd tier item out, save small sulfurous stones.

Right now I have this to do before TRing:

- 5 Shroud runs to reach 20th, need 1 of each shard
- Xorian Cipher for the GH clickies. I'd like to get two of them, mostly for UMD purposes.
- Finish opening up ED spheres. I'm 3 ranks from opening the Divine sphere, then 4 levels of Dreadnought.
- Farm out a Thunderstorm Crescent. Nice level 15 sickle for a Druid. Also epic versions, harder to get though. I already have a l5 Swailing Blade.
- Maybe farm out another dual-potency Belasheera's Scepter. Susan is using a Glaciation/Radiance one. Be nice to pull one with Glaciation/Combustion or Magnetism instead.

Back
Top Bottom