Wasteland 3 tips & strategy

Drithius

Magic & Loss
Getting to a point in the game where some design decisions are infuriating me… so thought I'd start this topic.

1. Weapon mods are not removable. You probably knew this. But roughly half of available mods are unique (only one available) - and they are not marked as such on the item description. You might run into a mod in the first third of the game that is extremely important to your character build (say, fire damage conversion or -1ap cost) and you will mistakenly use it, not knowing any better. Use this list; the minor spoilers are worth the lessened aggravation later in your playthrough.
  2. Antiques Appraiser, a perk available with rank 7 barter, is a game changer and recommended as soon as possible. It routinely nets thousands of extra cash with every trip to a merchant.

I am too lazy to find a resource right now, but it also seems it would be extremely helpful to know what attributes and skills potential companions start with, so you don't end up doubling up on an attribute/skill that they also have well-developed before you add them to your squad.

Most of the skills/attributes will only benefit your squad if one person has them as only the highest rated in that area is needed (lockpick, mechanics, barter, weapon/armor modding, etc.). Skills that make some sense doubling up include animal whisperer (to add multiple animal companions), some weapon skills (though a mixture/variety is probably better overall), and maybe survival for the passive bonuses.

3. If you buy out a merchant of all their items, they will restock when you next reload the area. Why would you be desperate enough to throw out thousands in cash to do this? Mid-level weapon/armor mods can prove to be exceedingly rare at endgame; things such as +6range scopes become exceedingly rare. Instead, the mods you do find towards the end of the game have various maluses attached to them… making them largely inferior to their early game counterparts. Also, there is a fire damage conversion mod explicitly available from a merchant. Pyromaniacs rejoice.

4. Shotguns are OP. Take this as a tip or as a warning so as not to spoil your game towards the end. Specifically, the Jackhammer shotgun can single-handedly solo the majority of encounters. It's pretty ridiculous how this got out of Q/A; I wouldn't be surprised if there's a nerf in upcoming patches.

it also seems it would be extremely helpful to know what attributes and skills potential companions start with

This Wasteland installment did an even worse job with companions than W2, in my opinion (and skill planning was already pretty lousy in W2). Most companions only become available until you're at least halfway through the game. It's asinine. In this regard, it's easy to plan for - simply base your decisions around Lucia and Kwon - they will be most people's companions for the majority of the game, for better or worse.

94buJ2W.jpg

Lucia getting ready to blow away seven enemies with a single shot of her Jackhammer​

Last edited:
I can't believe WL3 is such a disaster it seems has been and still is.

I pledged a Mac game and still got nothing so I didn't bother (yet), but that so sad.

Looks like pretty good reviews to me - and many of the bad reviews are for a badly done co-op version.

Mmm if so then it's even worse and even more sad, it evokes Tyranny cases, and for me only a shame on too many RPG players totally blinded or with closed mind.

I haven't yet started bother on the game, wait Mac release or be almost sure there will never be, plus a time I play and use windows 10 crap, I had pledge and then has it already but was waiting Mac release. So an hyper fast browsing shown some comments that aren't just related to coop.

Whoops just quoted the game was freshly released for Mac (and Linux). So I was right to not request a refund of my pledge.

Even if I'm in deep in a replay 30 years after of Pool of Radiance (Mac), it should be the perfect life synch between me and Wasteland 3. If I work well enough I should be able to beat PoR is some days, max a week, and then switch to WL3.

Back
Top Bottom