The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

This thread is so long that it would not surprise me if someone has already mentioned them (hey, who knows, it could have been me) but 'Search' didn't show anything so here is This Mortal Coil, with my favourites:

This Mortal Coil - Song To The Siren
This Mortal Coil - With tomorrow
This Mortal Coil - You and Your Sister
This Mortal Coil - Mr. Somewhere

Source: Wikipedia:
This Mortal Coil was a dream pop supergroup led by Ivo Watts-Russell, founder of the British record label 4AD. Although Watts-Russell and John Fryer were technically the only two official members, the band's recorded output featured a large rotating cast of supporting artists, many who were signed to, or otherwise associated with, 4AD. About half of the songs released were cover songs, often of 1960s and 1970s psychedelic and folk acts, which displayed those two genres' place in the history and formation of dream pop.

We gave up monitoring for repeats after about page 2, Omega. ;)

Good band, BTW. 4AD was a great label. They've kinda lost the edge these days, although Blonde Redhead is well worth a listen. Some folks get pretty excited about Serena-Maneesh, too, but I don't particularly care for them.

Günther is, of course, undescribable in a lovecraftian way. And Swedish.

still stuck on the Cure's "Disintegration" lately. great, totally atmospheric gloom rock at it's finest

really disappointed in other Fields of the Nephilim tho. I love Elizium (listen to it at least once a day), and was hoping for more from them along those lines - to my dismay both "the Nephilim" and "Mourning Sun" are nothing at all like it. Not only are they stylistically different, in my opinion the vocals on Nephilim are night intolerable at times! "its just another daAaAaAaAy!" The vocalist sounds like he's driving down a bumpy road or soemthing the whole time, it's just too much. Then the horrible "celebrate", fer crissake i dont think ive made it thru that song once.

I'm gonna give it another try tomorrow, maybe it'll grow on me….

Since Sammy's listening to some of my favorite music I feel like I have to say something. I just don't know what…

FotN is kind of "special". Their earlier work is more… basic, compared to Elizium (IE all songs are sort of like this verision of Sumerland, with less production value), but since I started with that work Elizium felt more like a natural development than different music. I guess it's easier to sell their atmospheric late work if you start out with the more basic early work I guess. Though the biggest difference between Elizium and The Nephilim is that The Nephilim is more lo-fi. Not close to as many synths and production that sounds slightly muffled. Though I feel the lo-fi is so well done that instead of ruining the experience it heightens it, since it fits the atmosphere. It gives it a kind of old, eternal feel that adds credibility (or what to call it) to a band striving for sounding like their sounding about aichent evil. Hopefully you'll get used to it, it's one of my favorite albums of all time (with the two song finale of the record being the biggest highlight).

I can't say much about Mourning Sun (I might have listened to half of it once) apart from only the singer being left from Elizium and it being released 12 years later, so it's no big suprize it sounds different. To me, it's hardly even Fields of the Nephilim. Because Fields of the Nephilim broke up after the Elizium tour.

Listening to Elizium, by the way! Like I said, far more costly production is the biggest difference to The Nephilim, though the songs are more atmospheric too.

Übereil

this little blurb from the wikipedia entry on the band regarding Elizium explains a lot to me -
Elizium (1990) album. Produced by Pink Floyd and David Gilmour's engineer Andy Jackson (taking over from previous band producer Bill Buchanan),

The Nephilim is growing on me, Ubereil. Listening to it for the 2nd time today

It just isnt very accessible, and w/ the difference in style from the instantly-likeable Elizium I was being a tough customer.

It just isnt very accessible, and w/ the difference in style from the instantly-likeable Elizium I was being a tough customer.

It's the Gothy kind of Goth, with production made deliberately lo-fi. So, no, not all that accessible. It took a while before I liked it myself, but nowadays I love it. Back when I was looking into everything with the Goth tag The Sisters of Mercy was my favorite band of the two (got them at about the same time). I rarely listen to TSoM nowadays, but I still love FotN.

Gosh, Ubereil, Guns and Roses. I've actually heard that song before, unlike most of the cuts this thread produces. ;)

Perhaps you listened to some of these as a kid, too
something hardcore, with major earsplitting feedback

Not that verision, but yes, yes I did. Not an awful lot, but I at least had/have his greatest hit collection. It's a great collection too, as I noticed when I picked it up again few years ago.

I used to love that song as a kid (didn't have it on record, but whenever I heard it I loved it).

something sarcastic (I tried to pick up the roses theme on that one)

Eh, no... Still, two out of three isn't all that bad, especially since the third wasn't serious... :)

Übereil

you got me all wrong, I'm all about lo-fi and gothic rock, nothing I like more than settling into some good old Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy, etc. Listening to "The Sky's Gone Out" right now

In fact if you can recommend anything new to me, I think Ive burned out all good goth/deathrock cds. I cant stand classic Christian Death tho. It may be heresy, and I like the music itself, but freakin Rozz Williams just sounds like too much of a flamboyant sissy flamer for me. Cant do it

The Wake gets put down because theyre such Sisters imitators they might as well be a tribute band, and Ive never gave them a shot. I'm getting curious and just may get "masked" and try it out. It doesnt sound bad, it's just when a band so blindly copies another it leaves kinda a bad taste in my mouth and thus Ive avoided them.

Back to FOTN, the problem is more the total vibrato overload in Carl's voice - just didnt work for me, like I said, the guy sounds at times like he's literally driving down a bumpy road while he's singing. It's growing on me and I can take it now, but at first it was just too much. Poor guy sounded like he was having a seizure or something!

Last edited:
Well, my Goth adventure was The Cure->Joy Division->TSoM & FotN & Siouxsie and the Banshees ->Bauhaus, and I thought Masks had too low a production value so I kind of stopped there and started searching in other territories instead. The Mission should be pushed in there somewhere, but never mind them, they weren't all that good to be honest (decent, but not good)...

Übereil

oh shit, youre missing out on some epic gothic rock if you stopped at Mask!

Try out Bela Lugosi's Dead, Dark Entries or The Passion of Lovers. That's off the Best of, but "the sky's gone out" has some great stuff too.

You might want to check out Faith & the Muse's first cd Elyria, it was a nice gothic rock sneak-attack that I never saw coming w/ tracks like "sparks". But their later stuff they get all aggro pagan/vegan/animal rights crap and actually go pretty metal. Fine it's own right for what it is, but not what I'm looking for at the present time.

Back
Top Bottom