The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Funny! Is it Claudia Brucken? After Propaganda, she had a solo career for at least one album. I think I have a few of her 12"s, which were pretty good.

Speaking of Propaganda, they had a reunion show of sorts in February. Strange how this is all connected. It must be a conspiracy. ;)

CLAUDIA BRÜCKEN - p:Machinery/PROPAGANDA (London, 02.03.2011)

Funny! Is it Claudia Brucken? After Propaganda, she had a solo career for at least one album. I think I have a few of her 12"s, which were pretty good.

Speaking of Propaganda, they had a reunion show of sorts in February. Strange how this is all connected. It must be a conspiracy. ;)

And Steve Howe from Yes played on their "Dream Within a Dream"@Secret Wish.

Says pibbur who wonders if he should drop a few hints on his musical tastes on the watch

Yes songs do include "We Have Heaven" and "Circus of Heaven". That's 2, 15 short of 17.

Howe played on a bunch of the Propaganda tracks, but he was often buried behind a wall of synths. Some of the song remixes on the Propaganda reissues / compilations bring his guitar to the forefront. Tasty!

Yes, I meant Claudia Brücken.

It could also be that I mixed this concert thing with this reunion concert.
(Because) I have only read about it in the news.

I think Claudia Brücken and Paul Humphreys of OMD had made a project called "OneTwo". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onetwo_(band)

Howe also played with the short-lived 80s supergroup, GTR. Decent tunes, if unremarkable.

Yep, with Steve Hackett. I still have that vinyl in my hoard. Can't even remember what it sounds like. Now you got me curious. ;)

Of course, his Asia connection was a bit more prolific than just one album. BTW, the original lineup of Asia reformed and put out a new album last year. It's actually pretty good. (yes I admit I bought it on a whim, guilty as charged).

DTE, check out these videos of Talk Talk. Fantastic live setting at Montreux with a large band of session musicians. Apparently one of their last tours. All the songs are much more acoustic than the studio versions, and much better I think. Nearly flawless. This is available on DVD. Tempting.

Talk Talk - Life's What You Make It (Live at the Montreux Jazz Festival, 1986)
Talk Talk - Living in Another World (Live at Montreaux 1986)
Talk Talk - It's My Life (Live at Montreux 1986)
Talk Talk - Such a Shame (Live at Montreux)
Talk Talk - I Don't Believe in You (Live at Montreux)
Talk Talk - Give it up (Live at Montreux)

I just listened to Christopher Young's Hellraiser soundtrack, followed by Claude Debussy's Cathedrale Engloutie … and found them to be astonishingly similar in style and tone. But I had a similar moment of enlightenment when listening to Vaughn Williams' London Symphony several years ago and discovering that Lloyd Webber had borrowed from it for his Phantom of the Opera

@Thrasher- I'll have to check them out when I get home. It's not a big surprise that Mark Hollis would do that, though. Spirit of Eden came out in 1988, which means that concert would have been shortly before the recording sessions. Eden was just way too pretentious and artsy for me to enjoy (I don't mind some indulgent wankery, but I still need to be able to locate a melody), but many people think it's brilliant work.

I agree. Spirit of Eden was a big letdown for me. Never listened to their followup (and last, as it turned out).

Mark Hollis is incredible on these videos. Just a stunning voice. Rather wacked out looking, though.

Didn't Mr. Hollis do an album with orchestra only ?

I don't know about "orchestra only", but the Laughing Stock cd (their 5th and last that Thrasher referred to) was supposedly done mostly with a classical ensemble so I'm sure that's the album you're thinking of.

Yes, I think this is it. His solo album, I mean.

Thanks for reminding me.

Continuing with the doom topic - I've been digging some Solitude Aeturnus lately. Traditional doom, with strong vocals.

DeepO - that Dalek band sounds interesting. I don't usually get into recent hip-hop much but enjoyed checking out those tracks. Will have to look into them more.

IIRC, wasn't in Solitude Aeturnus someone from Candlemass? I can't remember now...
Anyway, great band ^^ do you listen to Pentagram also?

I've seen Ozzy live 3 times, but I'm not a huge fan of his solo work. His best years by far were when he was with Black Sabbath, imo.

Last time I saw him in concert was about 8 years ago. Poor guy could barely move on stage. He just sort of shuffles around now. One of my friends said he looked like Yoda up there. :D

"Rather mediocre" could describe better The Ultimate Sin, or the Zakk Wylde era, except for the first two albums with him...
Yeah, seeing him now on stage is a tragedy, I totally agree with you. Anyway, Randy Rhoads R.I.P.

That Talk Talk Live is really good. My fav album of theirs is definitely Laughing Stock though. I kinda share dteowner´s sentiments in regards to Eden, but as I hear it, what may have come off as pretentiousness and wankery on that album, came off as creative clarity and independence of expression (as in, the album sounds largely indifferent to the era it was made in and there´s still nothing quite like it) on Stock.
Ascension Day, Taphead, New Grass.

Anyway, Elend - The Umbersun (1998)
Rest of the album is relatively unremarkable, but these two tracks are nifty:
Du tréfonds des ténèbres
Apocalypse

IIRC, wasn't in Solitude Aeturnus someone from Candlemass? I can't remember now…
SA´s singer did the vocals on the last 2 Candlemass´ records.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom