Divinity: Original Sin II - Review @ RPG Site

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
RPG Site likes Divinity: Original Sin II, too:

Divinity: Original Sin II Review

When Divinity: Original Sin launched in 2014, it quickly became Larian's fastest selling and highest rated game in its long-running but understated Divinity series. With unique and detailed writing, a deep and engaging battle system, and tons of content, we eventually awarded it as our 2014 Overall Game of the Year. Since then, other isometric computer-style RPGs have arrived such as Pillars of Eternity and Torment: Tides of Numenara, though arguably none could reach the combined level of quality and charm of Original Sin's surprise success. With the game's sequel, Larian gets their own chance to unseat Original Sin, and they could not have succeeded more thoroughly. In a year packed with landmark RPGs, Divinity: Original Sin II is one that demands to be recognized as one of the best games in the entire genre.

[...]

Divinity: Original Sin II has such a wide scope and is such a dense, feature-rich game that it's easy to lose track of time and get completely immersed in its writing, characters, and raw inventiveness. There's a never-ending draw to see one more quest to completion, to try out one new ability or tactic in one more encounter, or to explore just one more location. Divinity: Original Sin II will relentlessly test your own creativity, demand your attention, prove your abilities, force you to question your own decisions, and overall keep giving reasons to continue playing and never lets go.

Score: 9/10
More information.

Instead of another news title, I mean… Every day a new review…
Wccftech says this about DOS2:
It's hard to find a game with little to no flaws, but Larian Studios proved that, sometimes, it happens. With excellent story and characters, smart writing and masterfully crafted gameplay enhanced by the multiplayer modes, Divinity: Original Sin 2 truly deserves a place among the best cRPGs ever released.

Pros
✓Excellent writing, story, and characters
✓Tag and Origin system add much to character creation
✓Huge amount of gameplay freedom
✓Involving turn-based combat system
✓Multiplayer modes add more to the experience
Can't disagree, the game allows even wider crazyness than it's predecessor.

Cons
✗Combat can be too unforgiving at times
O_O
But that is supposed to be with "pros"!

They scored it 9.6. Why? According to their screenshots, they played it with mushrooms. Peh!
http://wccftech.com/review/divinity-original-sin-2-new-divine-born/

Well I read that it can get so hard that players feel like they are cheesing it just to get by. This concerns me as I found the first game to have many battles where the outcome could be predicted after a couple turns. Which led to save scumming.

Well I read that it can get so hard that players feel like they are cheesing it just to get by. This concerns me as I found the first game to have many battles where the outcome could be predicted after a couple turns. Which led to save scumming.

The way to fix this is to make lots of modes with different terminology but ACTUALLY just linking to only three levels of difficulty. Basic to Hard mode are all "Easy". Difficult to Ultra Insane is " Normal". God-like Extreme is the only Hard mode.

Basic
Casual
Explorer
Normal
Fair
Challenging
Hard
Difficult
Insane
Ultra Insane
God-like Extreme

This way it gives people the illusion of choice but still lets them feel like a hero for winning the "Insane mode!!!". And they will be ok with failing at God-Like because…
"come'on, like nobody could do that level.. the AI totally cheats in that one."

Allllll about managing expectations and ego stroking. I kid you not, this is something well discussed in marketing meetings all the time.

Back
Top Bottom