WRPG collapse is coming

This thread needs cheinaboyner to engage Dasale for 3 pages in order for it to be complete.

What is a WRPG

...a WTF RPG.

Seriously, though ... I have no idea. At first I assumed they were posting about so-called 'Western RPGs' (a 'genre' which IMO is none ... the only things the games listed as WRPGs have in common is that they a) are some sort of RPG and b) are not JRPGs). But after reading the whole thread I'm not so sure anymore.

Says another fan of video games in general for whom the only *real* RPG is the pen&paper sort.

It's a hipster expression meaning Western RPG :retarded:

The expression "WRPG" isn't old school enough for me!

CRPG as more and more people use it, is a much more modern tag.

In past CRPG was Computer RPG. And some youngers decided change the history, ok, but I'm too old to not read Computer RPG when I see CRPG.

So I write WRPG but it's probably not much different from the CRPG of the youngers.

*reads first posting* *checks personal release list for interesting upcomming indies* *takes a deep breath*

The Bard's Tale IV, Wasteland 3, Pillars of Eternity 2, somewhen during the next 10 years Underworld Ascendant, Elex, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Cyberpunk 2077, Divinity: Original Sin 2, Seven: The Days Long Gone, Call of Cthulhu, Vampyr, Black Geyser, Dungeons of Aledorn, Colony Ship, Acaratus, InSomnia, After Reset, Corven: Path of Redemption, Copper Dreams, The Lays of Althas: Sundered Order, The Meridian Shard, Ortus…

Don't just look for AAA and we'll be fine.
At best this list is for 3 years, more probably 4 years, but also newcomers will be added.

I wrote "is coming" not "is here". Your list is pretty tiny, such list done in 2013-2015 was a lot more huge. It had already games as Underworld Ascendant, Divinity: Original Sin 2, Cyberpunk 2077, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Dungeons of Aledorn, InSomnia, After Reset, more.

So first point, even if your list is incomplete the flow of new additions has already slow down brutally.

Second point, even if it's more general than just for RPG, crowd funding continue drop down.

Third point, as I wrote in OP, there's elements to favor such collapse coming.

It's been psychologically a huge smash on head that T:ToN is a total failure, but Tyranny commercial disaster is a huge clue too.

EDIT: 1994 was already the WRPG collapse and if you look at the number of releases it's huge, it's because there's a delay.

@Dasale

You have a very narrow definition of what is a "western" RPG and from that you are drawing the conclusion that they are collapsing.

Most people, including myself, have very broad definition as to what is a "western" RPG and from my point of view the complete opposite is happening. I have way too many RPGs to play and I am collapsing under the sheer weight of options i have. In fact I hope they release less "WRPGs"!

It depends, perhaps you are right, perhaps not. If you include anything survival and anything Roguelite then I totally disagree, it's totally different genres and dev skills. Dev of such game genres are clearly unable to make any RPG.

Then there's the stuff very tactical oriented, I suppose some could feel RPG, but certainly not stuff as XCOM. And even games as Hard West are too borderline to worth be qualified RPG, but Im' ok that for this one it's arguable.

Strategy games, common none feel like RPG.

I'm totally fine to include Action RPG but sorry but games as Mordor isn't a RPG.

The new Prey seems be a RPG, well as I haven't played it, it's just a feeling. And so on.

I'm rather open for WRPG but not include anything with RPG elements. It's not complicated and if there's borderline cases they won't change numbers.

Thanks for the clarification.

I dont give a rip what hemisphere a game comes from. Not one of the criteria I judge a game on.

Lets add more criteria shall we. DOSRRPG. BARPG. FDTRPG.
Developers only speak russian rpgs.
Blonde artists rpg.
Female development team rpg.

COLLAPSE OF THE BARPG!!!!!

I don't like tag either, and there's none for RPG that isn't JRPG, JRPG the wide genre not origin of dev. And if you fake pretend JRPG means nothing, ok I won't argue more on tag that's not the point.

It's like put in same bag a RPG and some Roguelite/Roguelike or strategy game, that's a sterile debate.

The term RPG in video games is one of the most, if not the most ambiguous one. There is no consensus on what a true RPG is. The one thing I noticed all games bearing an RPG tag have in common is building your character through stats, and/or gear, and even that can be done to a different degree. Now you can say that some of the games are, let's say, shooters with RPG elements. I would argue that tags FPS and RPG are not mutually exclusive. In fact, a game of any genre can also be an RPG. And every RPG is also a game in other genres. Morrowind - first person adventure (like Myst, but with less puzzles) RPG, Baldur's Gate - real time strategy (with up to 6 units, though) RPG, D:OS - turn based tactics RPG, Fallout 4 - FPS RPG. I feel that is why RPGs were able to survive even after 1994 as you mentioned. There were no 'pure' RPGs, but they were mixed with other genres in games like XCOM (the original one had a pretty extensive stat system for every soldier, if I remember correctly), and now even football sims like FIFA have those career modes where you control one player and grow their stats through training and playing, it even has some kind of a story if I'm not mistaken. Why is that not an RPG? Because you grow your character by playing football instead of by slaying monsters? Because classes in FIFA are not mage and warrior but goalkeeper and midfielder?

Yeah a good example, obviously you aren't fan of WRPG.
If by 'fan' you mean somebody who enjoys W/CRPGs then you're wrong. If by 'fan' you mean completely closed to the idea that something else could be fun then you're definitely correct. To abuse the language in ways it completely deserves, I'm a fan, not a fanatic.

What I'm not a fan of is our genre system.

Developers only speak russian rpgs.
Oh thank goodness, I missed the second R and thought that was going to be RPGs that can only be played under DOS.

CRPG as more and more people use it, is a much more modern tag.

No, CRPG is a much much older term, pre-dating the tag WRPG, and even pre-dating the very existence of JRPGs. This is opposed to pen & paper RPGs, which are not CRPGs. JRPGs are by the way CRPGs.

Was it? CRPG was definitely first but they were also all western. Then Japan got into it while PnP faded so it got re-purposed into west vs. east.

At least that's my memory of it. This is all pre-lots-of-folks-on-the-internet so it could easily depend on what magazine you were reading or what your local BBS was saying.

Was it? CRPG was definitely first but they were also all western. Then Japan got into it while PnP faded so it got re-purposed into west vs. east.

At least that's my memory of it. This is all pre-lots-of-folks-on-the-internet so it could easily depend on what magazine you were reading or what your local BBS was saying.

It's possible that that's what happened oversees. The golden age of pen & paper RPGs over here started in the mid 80's, and ended in the mid 90's, and during that time period JRPGs as a sub-genre became well established.

The term WRPG is really rubbish, by the way. It covers far too many types of games, all it really does is excluding a single type of RPG, while still letting all the other types count.

JRPGs are by the way CRPGs.

If the "C" stands for "console", sure. ;)

Depends how someone chooses to look at it. Unless you're saying all RPG video games are crpgs regardless of platform. For example, is Dragon Warrior a crpg despite not a single game in that series even being released on a computer?

Well, consoles are computers. Computer in CRPG is to differentiate it from PnP RPGs. That is how it was first used. Later it became a differentiator between personal computer (IBM, Amiga, C64) and console RPGs.
I read that somewhere, it was way before I was even born. Ever since I started to take interest in RPGs, CRPG meant computer RPG in PC vs console sense.

Back
Top Bottom