BattleTech - About the Development

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Farflame spotted an arcticle about the development of BattleTech on PCGamesN:

Behind BattleTech, the hefty mech tactics game from the creators of Shadowrun

Shams Jorjani is no stranger to signing big projects. As Paradox’s vice president of business development, he’s been intimately involved in the deals that birthed Cities: Skylines and Pillars of Eternity. But, for the first time, he was starting to feel the pressure.

“Shams,” his colleagues told him. “You can’t fuck this up.”

Due to what Jorjani was working on, a name was spreading around Paradox’s Stockholm offices, murmured in reverence: Jordan Weisman. In the ‘80s, when many of Jorjani’s workmates cut their teeth, Weisman had created the Shadowrun and MechWarrior tabletop RPGs. And in recent years, he’d founded Harebrained Schemes: the studio behind Shadowrun Returns and its excellent, literary sequels. Now he was on the phone talking to Jorjani about publishing a wonderfully chunky turn-based tactics MechWarrior adaptation, named BattleTech.

If you trace many of the PC’s most beloved games back to the beginning, you’ll find roots and rulesets in pen and paper gaming. But it’s highly unusual for a tabletop designer to be so involved in ushering their creations into the digital realm. “My career, unlike a lot of tabletop guys, has been pretty split,” says Weisman, by way of explanation. “Half of tabletop, half of digital.”

He’s reflecting on his history among the Romanesque rafters of Gamla Riksarkivet, the Swedish national archives. Jorjani, who didn’t fuck it up, sits in an adjacent room giving another interview.

[...]
More information.

"Now he was on the phone talking to Jorjani about publishing a wonderfully chunky turn-based tactics MechWarrior adaptation, named BattleTech."

o_O

Pretty sure it's the other way around and Mechwarrior is an adaptation of Battletech.

Silly, nitpicky semantics aside, interesting article.

Pretty sure it's the other way around and Mechwarrior is an adaptation of Battletech.

I guess he was viewing it from the PC games' side of things. The MechWarrior: Mercenaries games were very successful back in the days. The new Battletech game is basically that in turn-based.

I'm also pretty excited about MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries, which will be an action-simulator with company management like the olden ones. Though, it will be at least 2 years until we see more of that.

The beta/skirmish mode of Battletech is already pretty fun and I can't wait to get my hands on the campaign. Nothing better than building up a merc company from scratch!

The only thing I didn't like about the old Mechwarrior games (except Mercenaries I think) is that they basically followed the established history, which meant you could be in a mission to attack some place, you won with flying colors, and the after-mission summary was something like "you won, congratulations, but the war didn't go so well in other fronts so now we're retreating"... made me feel like what I was doing didn't matter.

If anything I'd say this new HBS Battletech is closer in spirit to the MechCommander series or even the Crescent Hawk series than it is MechWarrior.

But I guess for the non-BT fan the MechWarrior series is the most recognizable, so that's why it was mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom