Fixing other people's computers..

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭&#12004
This is something which happens to me rather frequently. I don't mind it when a close friend asks, of course i will help. But when friends of friends also asks to fix (without compensation) it gets more.. questionable. Suddenly it's like we're best friends.

I get the feeling this is a rather common thing for people who knows computers. Is it the same in other fields of work? I don't think so, at least i'm not aware of it. If you work with cars then friends of friends thinks its ok to ask you to fix it for free (because since you work with it's of no effort for you and most likely you ENJOY it too, right, riiiight?). Duh..

I find it embarrassing to have to ASK for compensation, but i guess there's no way around it when people are such cheapskates.

Anyone else have this problem, how do you deal with it?

Just tell them as soon as they bring it up that you'll be busy Monday - Sunday for the next 10 years.

If you find yourself saying yes, then give it back as soon as it becomes more than a 30 minute affair.

I learned how to say no to people primarily for this reason :)

I'm exceedingly good at it as a result.

I learned how to say no to people primarily for this reason :)

I'm exceedingly good at it as a result.

Yeah, i'm being too kind and people take advantage of it, it's as simple as that.. I'll have to get better at just saying no :)

Not really a big problem for me. There's people whose computers I would fix without talk of compensation, and for those same people I would also work on their cars for free, if I were good at that.

For everyone else, I just tell them I'm a busy boy, and that it could take several hours I haven't got. I wouldn't want to take money for trivial PC jobs, as you're then on the hook for any other (perhaps unrelated) difficulties that follow.

Not really a big problem for me. There's people whose computers I would fix without talk of compensation, and for those same people I would also work on their cars for free, if I were good at that.

you 100% sure about that, in the long-run?

for things that takes 10 minutes i wouldnt want money, but doing reinstalls of windows, perhaps having to search for specific drivers, nah, even if it's not physically hard its still draining and boring.

you 100% sure about that, in the long-run?

for things that takes 10 minutes i wouldnt want money, but doing reinstalls of windows, perhaps having to search for specific drivers, nah, even if it's not physically hard its still draining and boring.

Yep, I'm 100% on that. As I say, there's friends that, when they ask for help, be it reinstalling a virus-ridden Windows or lifting furniture up three flights of stairs, I'm there.

For others, I wouldn't do the job, for money or otherwise.

I've never charged anyone for these services, and I always refuse payment.

The problem is that it's human nature to seek the easiest solution, and I was always that - for a lot of people.

During the mid-late 80s and most of the 90s - I was pretty much "the guy" for people in my immediate social circle when it came to IT support.

I'm the sort of person who almost never needs help from anyone, for any reason. On the rare occasions that I've needed help, it's been from my parents or family members - and that's another matter. I help my family without question.

But, with friends or strangers - I find it extremely easy to say no, unless I'm the only possible option they have to fix their computers.

Unless I'm feeling particularly generous - which I rarely do.

I just had enough of spending hours and hours doing something they could easily learn to do themselves - or find someone else to do.

I do make exceptions for a select few friends, because they're extremely kind and helpful themselves. I have a hard time saying no to people who're like that - even though I never get anything back.

I have been asked by family and I don't mind that. Friends tend to get help too if they ask me for it but that's been rare as most of my friends are quite capable or tend to not need it.

I wouldn't spend much time helping others but I have helped colleagues and other people I interact with a lot.

I haven't asked for money but my help is very basic usually...

Happy to help anyone here with excel analysis :)

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I can tell you from the other perspective, a person that knows very little about computers, I'm willing to pay to have the work done. I'm fortunate that I don't often have a problem with my computer, although a month ago I had to have the power supply replaced. Hopefully that's the last issue for a while!

My answer is I'm too busy currently. Not possible to postpone anything. I said no, we can go for a coffe or beer, but for anything else I don't have enough time, live with it, buhbye.

I mean the cases where honestly, sure we know each other, but we're not friends nor will ever be because I don't care.

My mother constantly wants me to fix her smartphone - which she doesn't quite understand, at all … But I never have had any smartphone, nor do I plan to use one.
So, all I can do is direct her towards my sister. She knows that smartphone stuff.
My father, however, is entirely different. He is eager to learn how things go, makes notes, and usually doesn't need much assistance.

I've found a happy balance for fixing people's tech stuff. My parents get free lifetime tech service from me, because I don't think i'll ever stop owing them. But for all the others I know, instead of saying "pay me", I usually say something like "sure i'll fix that... if you buy me dinner..." or "if you pick me up an 8-pack of Red Bull" or "if you pay next time we're at the movies" or something that I would normally buy anyways. This way they still see it as a favour, but don't see it as me asking for money, and builds a good social link with them. Most recently i've been fixing the IT stuff for our building manager, and it's built a good relationship with him to the point of getting free private parking, getting to know the comings and goings about residents in the building (that I probably shouldn't know about), etc. Also, as a I do this, people will every once in a while slip me a $20 if it looks like i'm spending extra time. I don't turn it down. I also fix up and sell used equipment on the side, so sometimes when i'm helping someone, they ask if i'm selling an old laptop for school work, etc and I end up making some extra cash that way. I've even had a couple job offers from networking through people like this.

Anyone else have this problem, how do you deal with it?

Yes, I get this a lot on 3 fronts.

I know computer, how to fix cars and own a construction company. I get asked all the time for all 3.

I deal with it differently depending on who it is.

Family and a few select friends are always free because I know they’d drop what they were doing to help me out.

Beyond that I either say very politely ‘I’m too busy” or “ sure, when’s a good time to come over and give you a quote for the work”

It’s never failed me yet.

Once Upon a Time in a Galaxy Far Far Away, before the advent of Win 5 I used to be able to fix anything with a PC and I was an expert with DOS. Then technology began moving faster than I could keep up with it, so I now let my son who is an IT professional take care of my PC, much simpler!! :)

I always offer to trade. I'll fix your pc if you weed my fence line or paint my porch or wash my cars, etc. It's amazing how many people never call back when you offer a trade instead of freebies.

Yeah, I get that too, though I have to say it used to be worse. I don't get that many requests anymore these days, and if I do, it's usually from close relatives. I'm not even that savvy hardware-wise and for most issues I rely on my google-fu, so it usually takes a bit of time and tinkering to get to the bottom of the problem.

I always offer to trade. I'll fix your pc if you weed my fence line or paint my porch or wash my cars, etc. It's amazing how many people never call back when you offer a trade instead of freebies.

Ha, that's a good one. I'll need to remember that.

If i know how to fix it and I have the time to fix it; it isn't a big deal I just fix it (and no i don't charge). If I don't have the time or don't know the solution i say so and that is the end of it.

Doesn't really matter if it is a friend, a friend of a friend or a stranger.

Last edited:
Looked at the one i have at home now.. For this one it's a complete reinstall of Windows 10 (doubt he has the serial number or the discs - i know how these things usually goes.. so most likely i will have to get windows 10 for him in some way or the other..) + he wants a SSD installed + he needs backup of stuff on the current drive.

No. this one is a skip unless i get paid, i have better things to do =)
I also don't get how someone who's had a PC for such a long time have no idea how to reinstall windows and install a SSD, it'll do him good to do it himself.

I used to get asked to do this a lot but it's gotten much rarer now. Between smart phones and Windows forcing updates, people seem to be able to take care of themselves now.
I've never charged anyone for these services, and I always refuse payment.
Certain people can make that very difficult. Just find a good charity and have them dump money there.

Back
Top Bottom