Yet another drunken Nerd-Rant: Why I don't like Video Games anymore.

That's ok, sometimes we can lose interest in our hobbies. Maybe learn a new hobby that is more of an interests and new and exciting to you...video games are kinda like a mouse going on a wheel in pursuit of cheese, to be honest. I enjoy them, but if you look at them from a zoomed out macro perspective that is what they really are, in my opinion anyway. That doesn't mean I can't enjoy them, just because I can see them in this way.

Another proof that money don't bring you happiness!
Unfortunately this is another, besides countless others, thread about Pathfider Kingmaker - oh, well, nothing to see here, moving on.

Oh look, someone is bitter again lol. Just a mere mention of Kingmaker upsets someone.

@BoboTheMighty;

I think you are missing the point. I have issues with gamers who doesn't put in effort to read or learn anything, but expect everything instantly handed to them.

Oh, and the market that caters only for these sort of gamers.

As I said earlier on, I want variety. Not just games you can mindlessly charge and don't suffer any consequences.

Go and read the thread.

In short, this person didn't bother reading any dialogues or notes and complains the game lacks direction. Because there's no quest marker pointing him to right direction.

If that's not his type of game, that's fine. But to blame it on the game if just fucking riduculous.

Last edited:
Do what I do play other games beside RPGs. See as much as I love playing RPGs it does get boring after playing the same type of game over thirty times a year.

So at times I just want to be Rambo to shoot shit and relax instead of thinking. Yet I do feel the same way sometimes as Fenris so I can agree with him just a little bit.

@purpleblob;
It seems odd to have an issue with how someone else enjoys games. It's a matter of preference. But, yeah, market, like any other market is profit driven and the philosophy is "put in as little as you can, pull out as much as you can". The market lives on those formulaic, instant gratification games since they can be produced yearly, with existing technology, and have the biggest audience. If you want more complex games, you have to rely on indies and passion projects with all the positives and negatives it entails.

@Couchpotato;
Yeah, that's what I do, too. Too much of the same leads to exhaustion. Sometimes I just want a mindless shooter or a slow puzzle game. Sometimes I want a more nuanced shooter or a fast puzzle game :D

Edit: I wanted to reply to Couch, too, but didn't want to double post.

It seems odd to have an issue with how someone else enjoys games.

It affects the market behavour - more gamers want simplistic games, the less complicated ones in market.

As you said, I'm counting on indie or passionate individuals but I do wish more people will share similar taste with me.

I suggest perhaps finding other interests than games, maybe pick up a book for an afternoon or check out a telly show. Too much of any one thing tends to be not so good for anyone, take a break for a bit and then come back to your games with fresh eyes, it might help a lot.

It affects the market behavour - more gamers want simplistic games, the less complicated ones in market.

As you said, I'm counting on indie or passionate individuals but I do wish more people will share similar taste with me.

But should people change their taste, or stop even stop gaming just to satisfy someone else's needs? No taste is more valid than other.

I agree with you on that reddit post. That guy is literally blaming the game for his mistakes. But that is a specific case. What I more often see is people ranting about casual games and gamers and how they are ruining the industry. Like their taste in games is somehow superior to the majority.

I always thought to myself "why don't those people who complain about games getting dumber (and there is a great number of them) get together on a forum and simply create the game they so yearn?". I realized that the biggest problem wouldn't be the logistics of it or even that it would essentially be done in people's free time (just look at what modders can do in their spare time). The biggest problem would be that the group would not be able to agree what that game should be. Would it be turn-based or real time? Class-based or classless? Open world or more linear? Everyone has their own idea of what perfect game is and those people are some of the most strongly opinionated people I've seen on the internet.

But should people change their taste, or stop even stop gaming just to satisfy someone else's needs? No taste is more valid than other.

I never said their taste isn't valid nor they should change their taste. I'm raising my unhappiness regarding there aren't many games produced that match my preferance due to mass preferance. As simple as that.

On a flip side, should I keep my mouth shut because the mass wants something different than I do?

I always thought to myself "why don't those people who complain about games getting dumber (and there is a great number of them) get together on a forum and simply create the game they so yearn?". I realized that the biggest problem wouldn't be the logistics of it or even that it would essentially be done in people's free time (just look at what modders can do in their spare time). The biggest problem would be that the group would not be able to agree what that game should be. Would it be turn-based or real time? Class-based or classless? Open world or more linear? Everyone has their own idea of what perfect game is and those people are some of the most strongly opinionated people I've seen on the internet.

If I have skills to create games of my liking, I would. That's why I do the next best thing - supporting the developers making game of my interest.

I don't necessarily think strongly opinionated people are loudest either - people tend to ride hype train or hate train without actually coming up with judgement of their own.

On a flip side, should I keep my mouth shut because the mass wants something different than I do?

Of course not, let your voice be heard. Unfortunately, it's the money that talks the loudest. But some of us have too narrow taste (and that's OK, too) that we often discard games that don't perfectly fit it. What I'm trying to say is: a) there is not a lot of us enjoying these old school RPGs for the bigger market to notice and b) even when it does notice and we get bigger budget (compared to indies) old school RPG like Pillars or Kingmaker, we end up bickering how one is a godsend while the other is an utter trash cash-grab. I don't want to imply that we should buy every single game that comes out but that we should not antagonize games we don't like. Much like that reddit post.

Also (and this isn't aimed at you specifically, but at "hardcore gamer internet warriors") using terms like "git gud" and "filthy casual" doesn't really paint you in a good light. Leaving such comments unchallenged sends the message that we agree with that. And nobody wants to market to mean people.

Of course not, let your voice be heard. Unfortunately, it's the money that talks the loudest. But some of us have too narrow taste (and that's OK, too) that we often discard games that don't perfectly fit it. What I'm trying to say is: a) there is not a lot of us enjoying these old school RPGs for the bigger market to notice and b) even when it does notice and we get bigger budget (compared to indies) old school RPG like Pillars or Kingmaker, we end up bickering how one is a godsend while the other is an utter trash cash-grab. I don't want to imply that we should buy every single game that comes out but that we should not antagonize games we don't like. Much like that reddit post.

Also (and this isn't aimed at you specifically, but at "hardcore gamer internet warriors") using terms like "git gud" and "filthy casual" doesn't really paint you in a good light. Leaving such comments unchallenged sends the message that we agree with that. And nobody wants to market to mean people.

I get your point, but there is nothing wrong with "bickering" which is a better game. If someone honestly thinks some game is "trash", that is also a valid opinion, unless they can't back it up with reason.

You like both Pillars and Kingmaker, better for you - you get to enjoy two instead of one. But if someone honestly can't stand one of them, it is fair for that person to express that too. As I said, I envy those with wider range of interest, they have so much more options. But it's not like you can easily change what you like - forcing yourself to play something you don't enjoy because it kinda fits the category of what you will like is no fun.

I agree it will be nice if people don't use strong words like "trash" which is practically antagonising (although I think it's very effective in making a point sometimes), I'm also guilty of doing that myself.

… and you can't recreate the feeling that you had when you played certain subgenres for the first time. In a way we are all jaded by playing too many RPGs over the years.
And smarter/more experienced. We're used to thinking along these lines. For instance, Tower of Time lets you upgrade weapons in *many* ways. A weapon might let you raise the primary damage, the secondary, the speed, the armor penetration, add to the character's might, and so on. That's a lot for a new player to balance but we've all had those options before (if not all at once) so we're used to thinking along those lines.

But smart games wasn't Fenris' desire. #1 and #2 were sex & gore. Then came morally grey areas and then more gore. Then sweet graphics. Then AI that gets harder but not by making the enemies, you know, harder.

So I think all he really needs are some nude/gore mods for XCOM that are Long War compatible and we're good to go!

Weeeell...Upcoming Far Cry seems like something that would satisfy all of your needs.
That will tide you over until Cyberpunk arrives, and delivers our troubled souls.

I cant really relate to the OP. When I was young I would complain I was bored and my dad would tell me if I’m bored it just means I’m boring. Maybe there’s some truth there.

IMO, gaming has never been better. We have more chioices now than ever before. We have mobile, consoles (yes I know some will spit on that but it still tens of thousands of gaming options) PC, mods, indies, AA, AAA, etc and you can still play all the old games or remakes of them.

You say you’re a gamer but cant find anything to play, ANYTHING! With almost endless choices across so many genres? i say a gamer that cant find anything to play is maybe no gamer at all.

But smart games wasn't Fenris' desire. #1 and #2 were sex & gore.

This won't help with his need for gore, but what about the Megadimension Neptunia games for sex? I haven't played them myself, but I understand they have the same combat system as the TiTS games, except with tits.

This won't help with his need for gore, but what about the Megadimension Neptunia games for sex? I haven't played them myself, but I understand they have the same combat system as the TiTS games, except with tits.
There you go! If more gore is needed, well, there's some ketchup in the fridge. ;)

I can tune in to that.

I have my very own rants, and yes, I, too, feel sometimes as an "grumpy old gamer", someone who really feels OLD.

I don't think I should write here what I'm coinstantly ranting about, because you all know that already.

This is no more the "gaming world" I kinds grew up with - and therefore I don't like it.

So many games look so much similar, and that because of companies not wanting risks but profits instead ...

It's like SWG's NGE being applied to the WHOLE gaming market ...
Plus, everything has to be dark, "mature", bloody, etc. ...
This is not my world anymore.

Plus, everything has to be dark, "mature", bloody, etc. …

I tend to roll my eyes at the look-how-dark-I-am tone of modern RPGs as well. But I can't help but notice that the thread was started with the opposite complaint -- that today's games are too prim and proper.

If the same RPG scene can appear too sanitized to one person and too edgelord to another person, that seems to suggest that what we actually have is a pretty broad spectrum of styles.

Someone should make an RPG named "Edgelord"

I'm being 100% serious. Could be tongue in cheek, but played completely straight. I don't have the skills to do it, but if anyone here decides to make this game and starts raking in piles of money, I want 3%

Plus, everything has to be dark, "mature", bloody, etc. …

There is an option in Pathfinder to have little critters come out when you hit enemies, but tbh I've found this effect a bit like that Alien scene. Except with puppies and bunnies coming out instead of aliens.

Back
Top Bottom