Graywalkers - Steam Page Up

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The Steam page for Graywalkers: Purgatory is now available. At the moment the release date for Early Access is listed as 'Coming Soon'.

Graywalkers: Purgatory is a stylish turn-based strategy RPG set in a supernatural post-apocalyptic world where Heaven and Hell had merged with Earth caused by a event called the Rupture. Inspired by a combination of gameplay from XCom, Jagged Alliance and Fallout, the game generates a unique but familiar experience for the turn-based tactics player.

You play the prophesied leader of The 36 Righteous Ones who are now called Graywalkers. You and the other Graywalkers walk the path between Heaven and Hell and Darkness and Light, each one destined to protect humanity in their own unique way. Your goal is to search for the 35 other Graywalkers and recruit them in your cause to unite Purgatory and lead the fight the reclaim the world from the supernatural invaders that have conquered the rest of the world.

GAMEPLAY

The game has 3 game modes of play.

Mission Mode - You choose missions to go on and these leads to other missions. Some of the missions are stand-alone while the others are mini-campaigns wherein each successful mission will lead to another until the story is resolved.

Preludes - Preludes are like short stories except you play through them as the character highlighted for the specific prelude story. These are stories about the different Graywalkers before they begin their part in the single player campaign.

Campaign - This is an epic story about you as the destined leader of the 36 Graywalkers. This story will have you travel all over Purgatory to find and recruit the different potential Graywalkers and convince them to join your cause in uniting the lands of Purgatory and lead the war to reclaim the world from the supernatural invaders.

KEY FEATURES:

Real Time Exploration - When traveling on maps, the movement is real time. Only when combat ensues will it shift to turn-based gameplay

Action Unit Based Turn-Based Combat - play in classic tactical combat where you do actions based on your available Action Units

Recruitable Heroes - find, convince and recruit your heroes from at least 40+ available playable characters, each with their own style, personality, motivation, relationships and history.

Unique RPG System - the game utilizes a unique and original table-top RPG game system that will be coming out soon.

Strategic Management - Manage your resources, personnel, influence, technology, research, crafting and scavenging.

50+ Missions- do at least over 50 missions all across the lands of Purgatory

Custom Avatar Hero - Create your own custom hero to be your hero, the prophesied one who is destined to lead the Graywalkers and save humanity.

7 Races - There are 7 starting character races to choose from and experience in the game: Humans, Dhampir, Wolfkin, Nephilim, Cambion, Faechilde and the Hunterborne.

10 Character Paths - There are 10 playable character paths available:Agent, Armsman, Arcanist, Diviner,Martialist, Scout, Soldier, Slayer, Survivor, and Tech

100+ Abilities - Choose from over 100+ different abilities that from different categories: Physical, Mental, Social, Racial, Combat and Supernatural. These abilities give you both passive and active advantages

1000+ Items - Disover over a thousand items in the game from Weapons, Armor,Ammo, Consumable Items, Accessories and other types of loot.

Dozens of Threats - Encounter dozens of threats from bandits to mercs, to beasts and monsters, andto all manner of supernatural creatures like Angels, Demons,Vampires, Werewolves, Undead, Spirits and many others.

Factions - Encounter and Influence the different factions by doing missions and favors for them. You can also end up making enemies of one by doing too much for another.

Explore Purgatory - Explore the dangerous island continent of Purgatory. Travel through scorching deserts, dangerous wastelands, overrun forests, historical city ruins, dark caverns and even into supernatural realms

Built-In Mod System - We built the game with tools and an editor which you can use to help you build your mods for the game.
More information.

So they're still struggling on, nice to know. The different game modes seems like a weird way to spend resources (most if not all will probably be playing the campaign?) but other than that it sounds good. Looking forward to seeing if they can deliver what they pitched so long ago, if they do I'll certainly buy it. Unless I already own it, down remember if the Kickstarter was successful or not?

Last edited:
I remember funding this game over five years ago and interviewing this developer for this game, I always think its dead. Yet I'm surprised when a new update is posted.

Cant speak for others but some smaller funded kickstarter games I backed over four or five years ago came out a complete mess, or they are still stuck in development limbo.

Some have been canceled quietly. At least there is still some hope of a complete release.

Last edited:
It's been 4 years 3 months since successful kickstarter. Now that's still a long time and past the initial estimated delivery date but much less then 6 years.

I am a backer and I have to disagree a little with the above comments. I think they have done a fine job of providing updates. They've had an update every few months for the life of the project. Some are of course small but they never went silent for long stretches.

Looking forward to the game

I remember they had a combat demo which turned into an alpha. So I think they will eventually release something.
That combat demo was from four years ago with some updates every other year.

Anyway Early Access means it's not complete after the four years of development. So I would say possibly another two to four years until it's fully playable. That's depressing.

Hate to say it but I'm not excited or happy about Early Access releases anymore.

Last edited:
I literally squealed when I saw this update earlier today in my email, then calmed down as I recalled just how long this process has been going on. I'm tempering my expectations, yet still hopeful we'll get a solid game out of all this effort.

I remember funding this game over five years ago and interviewing this developer for this game, I always think its dead. Yet I'm surprised when a new update is posted.

Cant speak for others but some smaller funded kickstarter games I backed over four or five years ago came out a complete mess, or they are still stuck in development limbo.

Some have been canceled quietly. At least there is still some hope of a complete release.

You are right. It is 'Rocket Science' for developers to create a good game, because the difficulty in making it look cool is just that high. This is why a lot of indie groups crumble, when they get to the point, where the hardest parts of the game content needs to be finished, e.g. high resolution 2D or 3D characters who will __have to look good__ not only in 3D, but on the title screens as well - versus a game that has tiny pixel characters only and those are way easier to make.

In order for the game to attract customers the title screen must be dominated by powerful looking characters - behind them a neat background and this is possible only with someone who has the skill for art direction.

The amazing mood of the early cemetery level was the highest quality achievement for this game years ago, IMO. It resembled the similar level in XCOM: EU. What they did after that for Graywalkers was quickly going downhill into more and more wretched levels of mediocrity.

For example they have this high-quality hand-painted character then the same artist, who created this highest quality art for the game also probably made these bottom 2D portraits as well and compared to him/her the rest of the 3D team - who made the 3D characters and maps + UI skin - are barely one notch above beginner level.

Last edited:

I backed it as well. Wasn't too optimistic from the start considering the amount of features they promised. But it was worth a shot.

I've also backed a game which I no longer even remember the name of (since the developer seems to have disappeared) about being an evil God which wakes from a long sleep

(Edit: That which sleeps)

For me the possibility of a cool game can sometimes be enough, even though I doubt the outcome.

Hi Couch & everyone!,
We did indeed have a newer demo (from less than a year ago), which is playable. We have been putting out updates as we can the whole time on social media and KS.

Couch & anyone else interested, please let us know your email address here, or you can Msg/DM us at https://www.facebook.com/Graywalkers , https://twitter.com/graywalkersgame , or email me (entropy AT dreamlordsdigital DO T c o m) and we will get the Graywalkers demo to you!

Thanks for all your support, and we'd really appreciate it if you could click "Add to Wishlist" and "Follow" on our Steam listing on https://store.steampowered.com/app/1003370/Graywalkers_Purgatory/

Please follow us and feel free to contact us anytime!

-Graywalkers team at Dreamlords Digital

Back
Top Bottom