Card Hunter - Review @ theEscapist

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Joshua Vanderwall (theEscapist) has reviewed the free game Card Hunter:

Card Hunter brings together a number of different systems for an excellent blend of genres and experiences, ranging from RPG progression to loot hunting to card-based combat. The game's story is an odd one for sure, as the narrative is predominantly a meta-story about an RPG group's campaign, the Dungeon Master's crush on the pizza delivery girl, and animosity between the self-designated DM guru and the new DM. Given that this was the focus of the most prominent character's dialogue, the depth of story that the dungeons have around them is seriously impressive.

[...]

Card Hunter is free to play, with currency (pizza) and content packs being available for purchase in game with real money. Its origin as a browser game is a particularly nice bonus, since even if you typically play on Steam, you'll have to log into the game's servers, where your save data is stored, which means you can pick up whenever you want from a browser, like, for example, if you're supposed to be writing an article at work, but there are goblins that need stabbing. The most recent content expansion is Expedition to the Sky Citadel, which brings an odd juxtaposition of the fantasy setting with a futuristic adventure, complete with relevant loot. There are even entirely new card mechanics involved, like laser weapons that can malfunction when you attack, as well as some entertaining cosmetic options, like a space suit-clad figure to represent your tank.

[...]

In short, Card Hunter is a D&D campaign run by a caricature of young Gary Gygax (at least based on my experience with the Dungeons and Dragons Online dungeon narrated by Gygax), with an hilarious metastory about the pizza delivery girl and surprising narrative depth in the campaign modules themselves, alongside a card-based combat system derived from the loot hunt that is integral to most RPGs. Also, it's free to play on both Steam and the browser.
Spotted by Eye!

More information.

Very nice game. YOu can go casual or hardcore.

Learn the mechanics during the campaign then try some multiplayer!

I like the game for what it is. It's very polished and well excuted. The formula is a bit thin for my tastes, but it's great if you're into the style.

Dartagnan,

Do you play Card Hunter multiplayer ? What's your username ?

To whoever it may concern: I play Card Hunter very often, under the name 'GriffTheThief'. Feel free to drop me a line.

I just started playing a bit. Had tried it a few minutes a long while back but never really put time into it. Playing as Galaad on there =P

Dartagnan,

Do you play Card Hunter multiplayer ? What's your username ?

To whoever it may concern: I play Card Hunter very often, under the name 'GriffTheThief'. Feel free to drop me a line.

I've only played it briefly, but I liked what I saw.

I don't remember my username, sorry.

But I don't expect to play it much.

Back
Top Bottom