Skyrim - 9 Skyrim Secrets You Probably Didn't Find

abharsair

Grumpmaster
I'm probably one of three people on this planet who haven't played Skyrim yet (it's collecting dust in my Steam library, though), but IGN has an article with 9 Skyrim Secrets You Probably Didn't Find.

One of the more spooky secrets in Skyrim, you can find a Headless Horseman roaming the wilds on his spectral steed. He can be hard to locate, but if you manage to find and follow him to his final destination, you’ll find yourself at Hamvir’s Rest, where along with a number of undead enemies, you can find a coffin with a helmeted skull. Too Spooky For Me.
For more information, head over to IGN and find out which (if any) of the secrets you already know.

More information.

Dunno about others but Sleepy Hollow is "the secret" I did find.
And it's IMO crap.

The rest:

The Notched Pickaxe - don't remember, if I saw it, I couldn't care less as I don't know what is it about.

Infinite Arrow Trick - oh yes, I did find every single of 76548374568375624368534 bugs, including this one.

Choose Your Own Adventure - I admit I didn't know about this. Do I care? No.

The Chill: Winterhold’s Jail - bah. Who didn't get arrested just to see what jails look alike and where they are in every place? I did so I expect others did that too.

Hidden Peaks of Solstheim - meh. No I didn't know and again, I don't care. Besides it's not Skyrim's secret. It's DLC "secret".

Ride an Invincible Dragon - tried to ride a dragon, it was so poorly made I didn't care for finding another.

The Ebony Knight - it's not the toughest enemy, I nailed "it" fast.

The Spider Imbuing Chamber - Jesus Christ that's a secret? OMG… It was one of those things I wished they fixed bugs instead of adding this crap in the game.

Found some of them but could not care less, since it was nothing that will enhance my existing character traits or attributes, nor affect the surroundings.

Compare this to the secrets in Dark Souls, where every secret is beneficial and simplifies your journey, whether it is a new weapon, armour, a shortcut, a bonefire or a new area with more lore.

That is the difference between a thinking person's game, and a hiking (casual) simulator with awesome buttons to press - nevertheless, its saving grace is moddability.

Compare this to the secrets in Dark Souls, where every secret is beneficial and simplifies your journey, whether it is a new weapon, armour, a shortcut, a bonefire or a new area with more lore.

I completely agree about your comment above regarding Dark Souls. I'm playing DS2 right now and I am completely hooked. Exploration and discovery are on STEROIDS. Love it very much. And if you like DS2 you should absolutely play both DS1 AND Demon's Souls... both are very good games. But be prepared for Demon's Souls, in my opinion that is the hardest of the bunch by far.

But I still very much enjoyed Skyrim. Had to wait about a year before playing it seriously, in order for bugs to be squashed and for the Unofficial Patch team to patch even more. But still put about 300 hours into Skyrim.

So…. what you're saying is that you LOVE these 9 secrets… :p

If they added to the story, perhaps...
The question is... What story exactly? :evilgrin:

I completely agree about your comment above regarding Dark Souls. I'm playing DS2 right now and I am completely hooked. Exploration and discovery are on STEROIDS. Love it very much. And if you like DS2 you should absolutely play both DS1 AND Demon's Souls… both are very good games. But be prepared for Demon's Souls, in my opinion that is the hardest of the bunch by far.

I recently finished Dark Souls and currently on NG+, and enjoyed/enjoying every second of the 110 hours that I spent on it. Game of the century for me from the world design, to the art direction, to the lore, to the large scale of the world and the consistency of quality throughout the whole affair.

I also completed Dark Souls II before DS, and now that I finished DS I find DSII harder. In DS, the bosses are not difficult but getting to them is the challange - while in DSII the bosses are harder, sometimes unfairly probably because of the co-op focus in DSII. I plan to revisit DSII with the DLCs (when they come on sale).

But I still very much enjoyed Skyrim. Had to wait about a year before playing it seriously, in order for bugs to be squashed and for the Unofficial Patch team to patch even more. But still put about 300 hours into Skyrim.

Played Skyrim for about 30 hours and stopped playing. Did not encounter any bugs but it was very bland and there was nothing to drive me to continue playing - not even leveling up and equipment crafting, nor exploration (same bland caves and same bland weapons and armour).

That is the difference between a thinking person's game, and a hiking (casual)

I've read statements like this one a thousand times by now, but I still find them so offensive that I don't really care if you or anybody else around here take offense on what I'm about to write.
Dark Souls is NOT a thinking person's game, it's just a damn hard to beat game. The "catchy" subtitle "prepare to die" says it all. In fact, most RPGs aren't really about thinking, even when everybody screams out loud that they are. Mostly it's about hand-eye coordination and the patience to play, save, load and reload, observe all the details and choose the best course of action. Doesn't differ much from a shooter, except the patience bit, that's more adequate in a RPG, the shooter relies more on the hand-eye coordination bit.
Even the fabulously overrated turn based tactics games (thinking men games "for sure") are no more than patience games. Any dumbass who has a good memory can memorize, after trial and error, the best way to beat something. Any dumbass with a good memory can choke his gamer brain with stats and options and use to choose the best way to beat the game.
Most thinking men games, in fact, are "chick games", good adventure games (not the ones where you have to combine objects with objects 'till you get the right combination). So, mostly, they are thinking women (and ocasionally) thinking men games. Dark Souls is a difficult game. There are many others.
But let's take the thinking out of the equation assuming that "thinking" here equates with intelligence, be it IQ or EQ or whatever form of rating the way you think. Thinking, in it's most "lato sensu" form is always needed, even if you are just clicking a mouse and using a keyboard...

Thank you Mark0 for taking the time to write this incompetent view.

Dark Souls is hard for you because you looked at the game from one direct only, which is the action part. Dark Souls is more than that:

- you need to carefully consider the armour and shields that you use for each type of enemy and boss
- you need to carefully consider which armour and shields worth upgrading with your limited resources
- you need to carefully consider which weapon you feel comfortable with (I am not a twich player and like to get my enemies from afar so use long swords or halberds with fire or lightening)
- you need to carefully consider which and how to upgrade/ascend the hundereds of weapons that are available to you (and the appropriate blacksmith) and which have the most effect on bosses
- you need to think which ring best suits and enhances/complements you existing attributes
- you need to think how each item you find in the world is best used
- you need to discover and learn the world design to achieve your objectives efficiently (avoiding unecessary encounters)
- you need to discover and choose which covenent to join and their merits/special advantages

The game lore is just a beautiful wrapper to all of the above and the magic in the Dark Souls world.

But please don't let that stop you from banging your head against a brick wall and dying a 100 times for a boss or an undead that can be easily killed using a special weapon or upgrade, or by using a proper armour and shield.

Oh Puh Leeez!

Joxer, if you got to the point where you could fly dragons around and even got to level 80 then you enjoyed the game. Period. Deal with it.

Found some of them but could not care less, since it was nothing that will enhance my existing character traits or attributes, nor affect the surroundings... That is the difference between a thinking person's game...
So, if a secret doesn't make the game easier or somehow affect your surroundings then that means it isn't really a "thinking person's" game. And why would that be true? Striving for secrets that make the game easier sounds more like a wussy person's goal than a thinking person's.

So, if a secret doesn't make the game easier or somehow affect your surroundings then that means it isn't really a "thinking person's" game. And why would that be true? Striving for secrets that make the game easier sounds more like a wussy person's goal than a thinking person's.

So what is the point of this 'secret' if it has no value, particularly if the game is already easy and provide no challange like Skyrim? I don't see your point.

The 'thinking person' not only relates to finding the secrets in Dark Souls (through exploration, bravery, taking chances), but exploiting them to your advantage. So it is purposeful, unlike the 'Easter eggs' in Skyrim.

Dark Souls is hard for you because you looked at the game from one direct only, which is the action part. Dark Souls is more than that:

- you need to carefully consider the armour and shields that you use for each type of enemy and boss
- you need to carefully consider which armour and shields worth upgrading with your limited resources
- you need to carefully consider which weapon you feel comfortable with (I am not a twich player and like to get my enemies from afar so use long swords or halberds with fire or lightening)
- you need to carefully consider which and how to upgrade/ascend the hundereds of weapons that are available to you (and the appropriate blacksmith) and which have the most effect on bosses
- you need to think which ring best suits and enhances/complements you existing attributes
- you need to discover and learn the world design to achieve your objectives efficiently (avoiding unecessary encounters)
- you need to discover and choose which covenent to join and their merits/special advantages

The game lore is just a beautiful wrapper to all of the above and the magic in the Dark Souls world.

But please don't let that stop you from banging your head against a brick wall and dying a 100 times for a boss or an undead that can be easily killed using a special weapon or upgrade, or by using a proper armour and shield.

Do you know what that description sounds to me? Like work. Boring as hell, no bloody fun at all, just knowing the rules, knowing the game mechanics, observing the best tactics and trying hard to take the most of every item in the inventory. Inventory management and rules minmaxing isn't what a thinking man's game is all about at all. But if that's magic to you, go ahead, have fun (?). I'll just keep on beeing incompetent. Just for the sake of decency, let me assure you that I didn't really died a 100 times banging my head against bosses or walls in Dark Souls - or any other games , in fact-, I just watched some gameplay on Youtube and red some articles about Dark Souls. I did played it once or twice, found it a particularly awful console port - at least before Durante fixed the god damned mess - but I wouldn't spend my money on that kind of game.

Do you know what that description sounds to me? Like work. Boring as hell, no bloody fun at all, just knowing the rules, knowing the game mechanics, observing the best tactics and trying hard to take the most of every item in the inventory. Inventory management and rules minmaxing isn't what a thinking man's game is all about at all. But if that's magic to you, go ahead, have fun (?). I'll just keep on beeing incompetent. Just for the sake of decency, let me assure you that I didn't really died a 100 times banging my head against bosses or walls in Dark Souls - or any other games , in fact-, I just watched some gameplay on Youtube and red some articles about Dark Souls. I did played it once or twice, found it a particularly awful console port - at least before Durante fixed the god damned mess - but I wouldn't spend my money on that kind of game.

Since you have not played or experienced the game, then how can you make a judgment based on watching youtube videos? No need to reply that was an obvious comment.

Take care

Oh Puh Leeez!

Joxer, if you got to the point where you could fly dragons around and even got to level 80 then you enjoyed the game. Period. Deal with it.
Nah.
But Dragonborn DLC? I shamefully admit I did enjoy it!
But as for Skyrim and enjoy, it'd be like saying I've enjoyed Travian. I didn't. Played it for years because friends loved it. Of course, they were stuck in it while I had my good old great singleplayer RPGs as a main activity. ;)

I found the Notched Pickaxe. I haven't played Minecraft, but my kids really enjoyed it.

I like it when games throw in pop culture or historical references. Wasteland 2 was full of them, from one team lead by Peppard (an A-Team reference), to a group of flatulent cowboys led by Taggart (Blazing Saddles). One time you find a Computer Gaming World Issue 47 with a well thumbed page - that turned out to be the 1988 review of the original Wasteland.

Nah.
But Dragonborn DLC? I shamefully admit I did enjoy it!
But as for Skyrim and enjoy, it'd be like saying I've enjoyed Travian. I didn't. Played it for years because friends loved it. Of course, they were stuck in it while I had my good old great singleplayer RPGs as a main activity. ;)

Nope, Joxer hated it, twice.;)

Do you know what that description sounds to me? Like work. Boring as hell, no bloody fun at all, just knowing the rules, knowing the game mechanics, observing the best tactics and trying hard to take the most of every item in the inventory. Inventory management and rules minmaxing isn't what a thinking man's game is all about at all.

I know some people in real life who play pen&paper rpgs that way, more as a mathematical exercise than a game. As long as I don't have to play with them, that's totally ok ;-)

Dark soul is hard because it has the shottiest PC controls ever.

I'm playing through again with all the DLC content and a number of mods. I've really enjoyed it the second time through. I tried a lot of different combat mods but finally dropped those.

The mod that has really breathed life into the RPG aspect is SkyPE (Skyrim Perk Extravaganza). This adds tons of perks and many of the perks on this new system require you do something more in the world other than just using skill to unlock the perk. This has been my favorite mod. The author suggests 1 extra point every 2 levels.

To add a the extra perk I use the perk point book to add the extra perk. I know you can uncap and change the perks per level but I failed to get it to work at some point and fell back on this simple book mod.

Here is the mod list I'm currently using:

SKSE - http://skse.silverlock.org/
SkyUI. (Must have for mouse users) - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/3863/
SKYrim Perk Extravaganza - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/21512/
Perk Point Book - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/25607/

Convenient Horses - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/14950/

Immersive Armors - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/19733/
Crafting 300 - Armoury of Tamriel - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/2933/
Trade Routes - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/49369/
Falskaar - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/37994/
Warzones - Civil Unrest - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/9494/

Interesting NPCs (huge mod, lots of content) - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/8429/

I really enjoy the populated mod set. Makes the world feel much more alive.

Populated Cities Towns Villages -
http://erkeilmods.altervista.org/skyrim/populated-cities-towns-villages-rs-relliosavini/

Populated Dungeons Caves Ruins -
http://erkeilmods.altervista.org/skyrim/populated-dungeons-caves-ruins-rs-relliosavini-version-1-07/

Populated Forts Towers Places -
http://erkeilmods.altervista.org/skyrim/populated-forts-towers-places-rs/

Populated Lands Roads Paths -
http://erkeilmods.altervista.org/skyrim/populated-forts-towers-places-rs/

Quick Start - Skip The Opening Sequence - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/3325/

Back
Top Bottom