Obsidian Entertainment - Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny for free

Well everybody who was going to play those games probably already owns them, so why not give them away for free? Maybe they'll draw in some new RPG fans.

I've softened on the Epic boycott. Especially since they announced their financing support for developers, with terms that are pretty much unheard of in this capitalist hellscape. I'm talking about this one. In short, they get funding from Epic, they get to keep their IP, and after Epic makes back the funding, they split all profits 50/50. That's huge.

I've bought Control and Tetris Effect (for some reason this is still an Epic exclusive), and a lot of the games they offered for free (78 games to be exact, with plenty of them quite high profile). Most of them I already own, but why not own them here also.

And I'm planning on getting Pillars and Tyranny as well.

Two good games just waiting to be grabbed. If you haven't still bought them, now it is your chance to get them free! :)

PoE 1 got mixed reception here, but for me it felt really fresh, since it had been a long time since I had seen anything like it released on pc. I was really happy to back it and be part of that kickstarter experience.

And the end product was really good. I liked the setting lot. Characters and story was solid work as well, but looking back, they could have chosen to be a bit less wordy and lighten up the mood more often. As for game mechanics, I think they tried to too much to be original. They tweaked those mechanics so much through patches that I don't even remember how the game was when it was released. Now it is certainly quite balanced, but don't know if people really want it. People love op builds and it is imo counter productive trying to prevent that entirely. :)

Always happy to see Tyranny mentioned, hope it gets a few new fans from this.
I've been adding free Epic games every week since it started, there's been a few weeks when the free game had already been offered previously and occasions when an advertised game got switched with another at the last minute - hope that doesn't happen with these two!
Someday I'll actually install the launcher and play some of them!

I somewhat enjoyed PoE1 though got bored I guess around 2/3 of the way through it.

I have not tried Tyranny so I will grab that and play it sometime next year after 2077, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Watch Dogs Legion, and Immortals (and maybe BG3 if that's out by the time I'm done probably near April).

I also never played Tyranny. Since I have a huge backlog I rarely buy new games unless they are very, very cheap and I happen to see the deal. Looking forward to play it.

I think this strategy by Epic is really smart, albeit expensive. Several games from my wishlist on GOG and Steam I got from them instead, which means less money for the competition. And I've gotten acquainted with their storefront and bought some games with their coupons.

I hate anti-hero games, but free is free. I'll pick up both. I actually own a collectors edition of PoE that I never even unwrapped. I had played the beta enough to know the game wasn't really for me. I rarely enjoy Obsidian npc companions in D&D type settings. Also, the weird ass classes were just whacked. I may try it again too; since I was an early-early adopter and they released a ton of class tweaks in the meantime. I vaguely remember playing a druid/shaman type of class and that's about it. I think it's cool that Microsoft is supportive of this deal.

I hate anti-hero games, but free is free.

You don't have to be an anti-hero, up to you how you play it.

Tyranny is one of my faves. Just wish that they would make a sequel. (very unlikely based on reception)

Daniel.

I'm probably one of the few who loved Tyranny. It's a shame Paradox and Obsidian had a messy divorce as the ending is basically set up begging for a sequel to continue.

I kinda disagree. I feel like Tyranny is Obsidian's best game.. definitely more fun, interesting, and polished than PoE. It had an original world and story and a really neat magic system.
Honestly if you liked PoE, you should grab Tyranny.

I'm downloading the game right now. I'll at least give it a looksee since it's free. Pillars of Eternity I played for quite a while; at least up to the stronghold(?). I just couldn't get into the "almost" AD&D classes and the whacked out NPC's. I like my NPC's to be straight, not quirky, insane, evil, etc. Piper, yes! Insane Cleric/Priest thing, NO!

Thanks @Arahael;!

It doesn't matter. If it's not single-character, open-world, and with a fully customizable protagonist, there's a 99% chance that crpgnut won't like it. ;)

I did like all of the Deus Ex games though, so there's hope for me.

Well, I tried Tyranny and the biggest issue is that you have to know EXACTLY what steps to take to join the rebels. There are decisions in the prologue that will exclude you from ever joining them. As soon as I realized I hadn't picked one of the 11 previous steps correctly, I uninstalled. Up until then the game was mildly entertaining. Way too many things you can do that totally lock areas that you might want to visit. Really stupid decision. Like I'm going to take time to replay the same boring areas over and over.

That certainly doesn't make me interested in trying out Tyranny. It sounds like you'd have to cheat simply to know what's going on, or how to progress properly. Games that have built in gates are of little interest to me.

Back
Top Bottom