Extremely displeased with Eye blatant bias in moderation

Status
Not open for further replies.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
I think this is the appropriate forum for this thread. I received an infraction for responding to a post by lack explaining why his comment were foul lang. and why my view was one based purely on technical/game mechanics and not actual personal position. This of course led to eye quick moderation and infraction point despite leaving the original post by lack that contains foul and emotional language. This to me is pure and extreme bias. You should not be allowing people to make personal and FALSE attacks and then attacking the response if it contains no foul or inappropriate language in my humble opinion even if off topic.
-
The fact that you leave the emotional charged post even after deleting the response adds insult to the wound and triggers this post of claim of extreme bias and favortism.

For those that do not understand what @you; is talking about:

https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44653

I got a PM from ‘you’.
I’ll repeat just here what I replied to ‘you’ via PM.

====
I was not biased.

Fact is that you did not respect ”my” the rules. You deliberately pushed moderation’s directive aside. That has cost others acting in the same way in the past a red flag, that has cost you now a red flag.
No bias.

Using foul language is simply not in the TOS, and I have never acted upon that, unless it is in the section ‘ Defamation, discrimination, insults and threats’ in the TOS. So saying people are idiots, or a**holes, and the like.

I was not pleased by your bold action, you thinking I would accept to be pushed aside and then either clean up or move the post.

FYI I have stopped moving off-topic posts, people can do that themselves if they thought the text they posted was worthy to read.
I do consider requests to move posts/threads to a different location though, but of course not when I have told people explicitely where to post or when they are otherwise going against clear instruction.

If you are not satisfied with my action, you can always take it to Myrthos, who I have sent a CC, as you can see (‘Recipients’) in your Inbox.
=====

There is also a section in the TOS:

“RPGWatch is not obliged to motivate the reasons for moderation to anyone other than the person being moderated. The reasons for moderation will not be discussed in public and discussions about it can be ended or removed by a moderator.”

But hey, do discuss it. It won’t make me feel I did something wrong and I won’t change my approach.

Last edited:
I'm lack I assume, yes?

Can I get a quote from you @you; regarding this bad language? And an explanation of why you found it offensive?

Perhaps then we can establish what the problem is/was.

Regarding the post deletion, as far as I read it a moderator had stepped into the thread to warn about excessive off-topic posting and that posters continuing on that subject-line would presumably get noticed. Hence I ceased posting on that topic. You didn't, you, and you got noticed.

Can you explain how this is bias beings as I had no posts after the moderation intervention for eye to chastise me with whereas you had. Seems quite logical to me?

To me this "fuzz" is a very good example of how disxcussing has turned into competing / competition these days.

Every discussion has become a competition.

The moderator's (lack of) action in this case was 100% correct, imo. The profanity in question was not used as an insult or to refer to the person being replied to.

I have my own personal beliefs about profanity and the weight it's given in our society.... reminds me of customer service and how a customer could say virtually anything about or to you and upper management wouldn't blink an eye, but if they happened to say a "bad word" in the process, bam, suddenly you as the employee got support. I happen to think that's ridiculous and way out of whack.

But hey, I get that some people attach a lot more importance to profanity, and I try to respect that. Harder to respect is someone who jumps to complain to a moderator for something so trivial.

To me this "fuzz" is a very good example of how disxcussing has turned into competing / competition these days.

Every discussion has become a competition.

Fully agreed, Alrik! The way I see, a lot of discussions here are becoming kinda unnecessary (sometimes worthless, sometimes useless) competitions.

There’s no bias here. Eye has been very consistent with this. It actually happened to me. A lot was said, Eye came in the thread and basically told everyone to chill and stay on topic. I didn’t and I got warned.

You are getting warned for posting after a moderator said to stop not for what happened before the moderator stepped in. You may not like it but it has been enforced consistently.

Since Alrik did it ;)
I don't think any of us here should dictate content. The whole point of a forum is to freely present ideas and opinions. Moderation should exist to maintain order, not perform censorship.
- derailing a thread is bad and should be moderated, a fuck here or there is just salty flavour.

Wrong forum for that. What you are allowed to say and how you are allowed to say it, is restricted on these forums.

And ignoring a moderator usually leads to moderator intervention. I fail to see any bias in that.

You are getting warned for posting after a moderator said to stop not for what happened before the moderator stepped in
Yes, that is correct, do not ignore a moderator. Let me add some other rules I am using.

I do not give a notice:

- if an OP asks people to stay on-topic or to limit debate within certain lines, and people do not abide by that: big chance I’ll delete every post that was not in accordance with what OP asked for, that is every post after the OP has written his/her request, mind you, without giving a penalty though. Afterwards I usually make a post clarifying what I have done and why and I’ll ask people to respect OP’s wishes (it is his/her thread). When people start ignoring that as well, then they’ll get a penalty,

- when people have posted stuff that should have been posted in P&R, they may discover that those remarks/sentences/paragraphs have been deleted, they risk getting a notice not to do it again and to be more cautious next time. This because of the specific nature of P&R discussions, there are reasons why we have them in a separate section of this site. Doing it again after having received a notice from a moderator might get you a penalty, as may be expected.

- when people have posted stuff that is not in line with the TOS, they risk getting a penalty immediately.

Last edited:
Can I get a quote from you @you; regarding this bad language? And an explanation of why you found it offensive?

You used the expression “F around” as a more strong surrogate (I assume) for ‘mess around’ in terms of managing combat in certain games.

I did express concern about the off-topic nature of bringing the RTwP v. TB ‘holy war’ into a completely unrelated topic, especially since it was still emotionally-charged across the site. But I hoped we could have a decent discussion - but it quickly turned heated. I regret engaging, but the last time I took a hard stance about off-topic stuff I got roundly attacked (though Eye was right and I should have immediately taken it to a Mod) so I was hesitant.

To all.

I am sorry, I just learned that infraction does not mean ‘sanction’, ‘penalty’.
Ha!
Well, I think you all will have guessed what I meant.
Including those on whom I have imposed a sanction in the past, meanwhile saying that they got themselves an infraction. :) (or something like that).

Please, do tell me if an English word I use sucks big time. After all, that is how things improve, learning from mistakes. :)

You used the expression “F around” as a more strong surrogate (I assume) for ‘mess around’ in terms of managing combat in certain games.

I did express concern about the off-topic nature of bringing the RTwP v. TB ‘holy war’ into a completely unrelated topic, especially since it was still emotionally-charged across the site. But I hoped we could have a decent discussion - but it quickly turned heated. I regret engaging, but the last time I took a hard stance about off-topic stuff I got roundly attacked (though Eye was right and I should have immediately taken it to a Mod) so I was hesitant.

From my perspective the use of the term fuck around carries neither more nor less strength that saying mess around. Someone else making perceptions other than that is something beyond rational control.

And I do worry about you txa, you always seem to be on the verge of a heart attack whenever you spot something you feel the need to address. Constantly cycling between "HOW DARE YOU" and "Ah, ahem, er maybe I did overact somewhat", a sort of 10kph or 200kph kinda guy with little in between.

I'll try to convey my point about cultural differences using photos:

When you imagine the collected masses of this site, is your imagination of their cultural norm more akin to:

a)

b2c37650-8432-4eea-ba86-d6a2b005c9a7.jpg

or b)

FH-dinnerparty-14.jpg

Whereby a) represents a more relaxed environment and b) represents a more stilted environment?

Whereby in the first picture someone saying "fuck around" is as normal and weak a phrase as "pass the peanuts" but in the second picture the same phrase might dent a couple of the nervous grins and cause the speaker to be 'talked to' by their partner when they got home?

Which pic do think the most of us here more readily identify with?

From my perspective the use of the term fuck around carries neither more nor less strength that saying mess around. Someone else making perceptions other than that is something beyond rational control.

And I do worry about you txa, you always seem to be on the verge of a heart attack whenever you spot something you feel the need to address. Constantly cycling between "HOW DARE YOU" and "Ah, ahem, er maybe I did overact somewhat", a sort of 10kph or 200kph kinda guy with little in between.

I'll try to convey my point about cultural differences using photos:

When you imagine the collected masses of this site, is your imagination of their cultural norm more akin to:

a)

b2c37650-8432-4eea-ba86-d6a2b005c9a7.jpg

or b)

FH-dinnerparty-14.jpg

Whereby a) represents a more relaxed environment and b) represents a more stilted environment?

Whereby in the first picture someone saying "fuck around" is as normal and weak a phrase as "pass the peanuts" but in the second picture the same phrase might dent a couple of the nervous grins and cause the speaker to be 'talked to' by their partner when they got home?

Which pic do think the most of us here more readily identify with?

Except that I happen to know that the first photo is of "Christians for Responsible Drinking" and the second is of a meeting of the 50 Shades of Grey fanclub. Careful of making assumptions based on superficial appearances.

Except that I happen to know that the first photo is of "Christians for Responsible Drinking" and the second is of a meeting of the 50 Shades of Grey fanclub. Careful of making assumptions based on superficial appearances.

Oh indeed :D

a)
[…]
or b)
[…]

Depends on the country as well, I guess. ‘Fuck, or fuck around’ could be said pretty much anywhere here. Same goes for ‘shit’. Probably because we adopted it, it is not a Dutch word. Try cursing in a language that is not your mother tongue and you’ll see/feel what I mean.

And, lackblogger, really, British upperclass people, apart from the queen, do say ‘fuck’, don’t they? With a posh pronounciation of course.

Depends on the country as well, I guess. ‘Fuck, or fuck around’ could be said pretty much anywhere here. Same goes for ‘shit’. Probably because we adopted it, it is not a Dutch word. Try cursing in a language that is not your mother tongue and you’ll see/feel what I mean.

And, lack (I like that one ;) ), really, British upperclass people, apart from the queen, do say ‘fuck’, don’t they? With a posh pronounciation of course.

Absolutely. The history of the cursive tongue is a very interesting one that holds much of its roots in the Germanic language. At a certain point in the middle ages, when those in power spoke only Latin, the Germano-Briton language (Anglo-Saxon) was not only considered the barbaric tongue but was also, inevitably, the persecuted tongue.

Combine this with religious piety regarding matters sexual, particularly after the advent of puritanism, and you end up with a historical legacy that sees the now Germanic ruling class have it in their heads to hate old Germanic words for sexual acts/parts etc, but are more than happy to express the same things in Latin!

But, yes, there are still many pockets of society who consider saying fuck at a dinner party to be both uncouth and barbaric, not fit for polite company. Again, this would be mostly upper-class-aspiring or religious-aspiring circles.

From my perspective the use of the term fuck around carries neither more nor less strength that saying mess around.

Exactly “from your perspective”. And as for me, I had to look in the thread, because nothing triggered my memory either.

But depending on the forum, the moderators, and so on ... some places are pretty binary about the use of certain words, and other forums even have full word-blocking implemented (making it more challenging to discuss the Miles Davis album ‘****** Brew’ :) )

And even on this forum I have gotten warned for using the F weird in posts (not in the past couple of years), so it is a thing that is very situational.

Many years ago I used to game on Pogo.com, which was based in America, and that site did all that **** routine every time it's algorithm picked up a word from it's banned list, which, of course, was total chaos.

Writing Assassination became ****ination and Dick Van Dyke became **** Van ****.

However, because it was American it lacked a full knowledge of UK slang and my username of utterbollocks was not only accepted but never challenged. Oh the fun I had every time someone asked me what it meant while the rest of the room creased up and typed "it means ****"

Hold it!
I've noticed a tendency for this thread to get rather silly.
(RIP Graham Chapman)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom