KotOR1 - any advice?

Never had any issues either. What version of the game is it?

Also, the straight forward approach is probably the easiest, which is Soldier 8 -> Guardian 12, with a focus on strength and light sided jedi powers (healing, speed etc). A fully upgraded double-saber is marginally stronger than dual wielding, but they use the same skill and the difference is minimal, so weapons can be swapped around to suit your style. There's really no point in saving levels if you're going with a melee approach; it's mainly an issue for anyone wanting to be more of a "caster".

I have Steam version. I seem to have two issues - game crashing due to logo movie thing in the beginning and my character freezing up after a single battle. I remember now I had both issues last time I played it too.

Never had any issues either. What version of the game is it?

Also, the straight forward approach is probably the easiest, which is Soldier 8 -> Guardian 12, with a focus on strength and light sided jedi powers (healing, speed etc). A fully upgraded double-saber is marginally stronger than dual wielding, but they use the same skill and the difference is minimal, so weapons can be swapped around to suit your style. There's really no point in saving levels if you're going with a melee approach; it's mainly an issue for anyone wanting to be more of a "caster".

IIRC, dual wielding can end out on top because of threat range and twice the crystals - if you get the right sabers and crystal combo.

But it's not exactly the easiest route to take :)

I have Steam version. I seem to have two issues - game crashing due to logo movie thing in the beginning and my character freezing up after a single battle. I remember now I had both issues last time I played it too.
Are you talking about an issue where you can't move after completing a fight? Where it seems as if the character is stuck? If so, this is a common issue. Quick save/reload is the easiest fix, though I seem to recall there being a more permanent one.

IIRC, dual wielding can end out on top because of threat range and twice the crystals - if you get the right sabers and crystal combo.

But it's not exactly the easiest route to take :)
Yes, but there are two special color crystals that change the overall power of the rest of the setup. The strongest of them in a two-bladed saber is the strongest weapon in the game, but like I said, it's only marginal. It makes no real difference, and DW/2H use the exact same skills in KotOR, so it's entirely possible to go DW most of the game and then just swap to the two-bladed one near the end.

Edit: Or just stick with DW, as any enemy in the game is killed in a single hit with max rank speed buff up and a full DW build, regardless of whether it's the two-bladed or two lightsaber approach.

Are you talking about an issue where you can't move after completing a fight? Where it seems as if the character is stuck? If so, this is a common issue. Quick save/reload is the easiest fix, though I seem to recall there being a more permanent one.

I seem to recall something like that long ago. Think I fixed it by either turning VSYNC off or on. Not sure, though.

Yes, but there are two special color crystals that change the overall power of the rest of the setup. The strongest of them in a two-bladed saber is the strongest weapon in the game, but like I said, it's only marginal. It makes no real difference, and DW/2H use the exact same skills in KotOR, so it's entirely possible to go DW most of the game and then just swap to the two-bladed one near the end.

Edit: Or just stick with DW, as any enemy in the game is killed in a single hit with max rank speed buff up and a full DW build, regardless of whether it's the two-bladed or two lightsaber approach.

I'll have to take your word for it - I guess :)

KotOR doesn't have many mods in ways of technical enhancements. Though I believe I played with some texture mods last time I replayed it.

Most will likely be located here:

http://www.moddb.com/games/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic
https://www.nexusmods.com/kotor
http://www.gamefront.com/games/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic

I think this is the best source to figure out what the best mods are:

http://www.moddb.com/games/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic/downloads?sort=visitstotal-desc

Then again, it doesn't really need it - as it looks perfectly fine considering its age.

The resolution mod is a must, though.

I also played the story mod at one point (something about Brotherhood or something) - and it was ok.

But it really didn't add much at all. I recommend as close to vanilla as possible. It's a pretty complete and wholesome package.

Though it's an odd choice to replay if you didn't like it the first time. It's not likely to have improved over time ;)

In response to @JDR13;, I think DArt said it best here. As far as technical enhancements go, there really isn't a whole lot. But I honestly don't think it needs much aside from the resolution mod.

Last edited:

That's the one. The solution is in the link DArt provided in the previous page.

Back
Top Bottom