Pillars of Eternity II - Survey on Turn-Based Mode

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Obsidian wants your opinion on the turn-based mode for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. Fill out the survey if you are interested, before February 21st 2019.

In case you haven't heard, we released a new and completely free combat system to Deadfire last month!

While it's still in its beta form and we are thankful for any and all feedback you may have given us so far, we hope you might be able to take a few minutes to fill out the following survey regarding Deadfire!

The survey will close on February 21, 2019, so please don't wait!

Also, we'd love it if you'd share the survey with any friends who are also fans of ours.

As you are the backbone of our Deadfire audience, we value your time and thoughts immensely, and your completion of this questionnaire would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for participating, and for being a fan of Obsidian.
More information.

Though it's still in beta with plenty of issues to iron out, it's one of the few turn-based options on the market for RPGs. Please do try it out.

I intend to do so - just waiting for a few more patches. I greatly prefer tb to rtwp and found poe 1 to be a bit hectic - not sure how they did tb in pillars ii so will be curious to see the implementation.

Though it's still in beta with plenty of issues to iron out, it's one of the few turn-based options on the market for RPGs. Please do try it out.

Has anyone played enough to determine what speed actually does in TB? I worry that it doesn’t give additional attacks.

Has anyone played enough to determine what speed actually does in TB? I worry that it doesn’t give additional attacks.

It does the same thing as in RTwP. In TB mode, that affect your initiative stat (aka move you up the initiative queue). You might end up attacking twice in a round if you can get your initiative low enough (lower is better), but it will never be in the same initiative slot and tus people consider it useless (especially the temp speed buff).

In general, anything "timed" needs a balance pass for TB.

It does the same thing as in RTwP. In TB mode, that affect your initiative stat (aka move you up the initiative queue). You might end up attacking twice in a round if you can get your initiative low enough (lower is better), but it will never be in the same initiative slot and tus people consider it useless (especially the temp speed buff).

In general, anything "timed" needs a balance pass for TB.

That doesn't sound like what it does in RTwP.

But I guess they're still tweaking it.

I'm a big speed freak - and I always try to maximise my amount of attacks. Being in an earlier initiative order doesn't sound like that's the same thing - as that would depend on the initiative of the other participants, which the RTwP implementation of speed is not.

That doesn't sound like what it does in RTwP.

But I guess they're still tweaking it.

I'm a big speed freak - and I always try to maximise my amount of attacks. Being in an earlier initiative order doesn't sound like that's the same thing - as that would depend on the initiative of the other participants, which the RTwP implementation of speed is not.

It does the same thing as in it affect recovery speeds, attack speeds and casting time. Recovery and attack speed directly translate into initiative in TB mode. Cast time affect it by some spells taking more than a round to cast without increasing speed.

You can't increase the number of attack per "initiative slot" because the fake time it represent is too low and you can't do more than one action (note that are abilities that are free actions).

It does the same thing as in it affect recovery speeds, attack speeds and casting time. Recovery and attack speed directly translate into initiative in TB mode. Cast time affect it by some spells taking more than a round to cast without increasing speed.

You can't increase the number of attack per "initiative slot" because the fake time it represent is too low.

As I said, that’s not the same thing at all. However, it’s ok if you disagree.

Anyway, I’ll check it out once they’re done with it.

I got this survey the other day, oddly enough right after I purchased the game! I was waiting for all the content to finally be out, which happened, and then the turn based news landed, so I grabbed the game for like thirty bucks w/everything. When I did the survey though, I got some virus warning so I banged out a five paragraph response instead, I can only hope someone actually read it!

It's interesting that the survey heavily focuses on purchase decision. I'm probably in an unusual position - I backed the game, installed it on release, and still haven't gotten around to finishing the last few hours of PoE1 and moving onto this one - but I didn't feel like there were any survey options I could choose to express "Yes, I already have the game, but I'm even more enthusiastic about it now that there's a TB mode!" There were also no options to express "I'm really excited about TB mode but waiting for another patch or two."

Given the survey design, I'm hesitant about whether they'll draw the right conclusions about TB mode.

Is it wrong of me to have a secret yearning desire for them to redo PoE1 with the PoE2 mechanics and TB mode? :)

This was only a 'maybe' purchase for me (not having liked PoE1 that much) and not a huge RTwP fan. After this announcement, it's a definite buy for me. I watched one rather long Let's Play with the TB mode and it looks pretty damn fine to me!

If they redid the prior game with the new turn based options, I would likely replay that one again before starting the second. I got through the first game, but by the end it felt pretty stale to me.

Outer Worlds aside (due to Tim & Leonard involvement), I'm pretty much done with Obsidian. Just so tired of their buggy launches and incessant patching; nearly a year after release and they're still "rebalancing" and introducing new bugs upon doing so. Good luck to anyone expecting to play an entirely new [turn-based] game mode that isn't chock full of bugs before a couple more years have elapsed.

Deep down, the studio puts out half-decent (if dry and cliché) RPGs... but you have to put up with so much convoluted, rebalanced, and ever-changing BS that it's hardly worth it given the wide variety of other RPGs available these days.

Deep down, the studio puts out half-decent (if dry and cliché) RPGs… but you have to put up with so much convoluted, rebalanced, and ever-changing BS that it's hardly worth it given the wide variety of other RPGs available these days.

I think most of their games have definitely been worth it after all the patching was finally said and done. The problem is that you're waiting 6 months after release before they get to that point.

The problem is what @Drithius; said.
Rebalancing.

They need to stop with that idiocy already. It's not Yu Gi Oh TCG.

I think most of their games have definitely been worth it after all the patching was finally said and done. The problem is that you're waiting 6 months after release before they get to that point.

I waited 8 months. Halfway through my playthrough, my main character's crowd control and damage abilities were rendered broken due to a confirmed bug. Still no fix a month later. Done.

Back
Top Bottom