X: Rebirth

If you just hang around in a busy sector with producers and consumers you will see price fluctuations enough to get a feeling for good prices vs bad.

It's not really fly them remotely, it's more send commands to do X. It's explained in the trading and mining video (toward the end).

They sort of designed the game even more toward the traders who didn't want to "fly".
Wouldn't that be all traders? You aren't likely to sit in a TS, never mind a TL, for very long in the current games and you probably won't enjoy it much when you are.

The drones are the smaller ships - they're actually launched from the ship you're sitting in.

Well maybe azarhal never got very far in the games, beyond just a few ships. When I "finished" TC I had a fleet of "remote" traders including about 10 TLs, and easily 100 TS's. 99% of which I never personally piloted…

Well maybe azarhal never got very far in the games, beyond just a few ships.

I'm not that into trading actually, but from what I remember of X3 don't you have to install remote control software to automate those ships? While in Rebirth, they will have a crew and you can go aboard and talk to them (no sure of the point for that part).

To get the best performance, one definitely would buy and use the automation software, but one doesn't have too. However, each ship had a person you automatically hired and took a cut of the profits when you activate the software. You even got a randomized name for them. Odd eh? I'll bet it isn't too different in Rebirth.

Yeah and if I remember well the hired pilots kinda "level" up as well…(back in x3 and expansions that is)

As for flying drones in X-Rebirth, it probably isn't the same as flying regular ships from what I read. I could be wrong but I read a while back that you do not get a HUD Display/interface when piloting a drone.

With that said, piloting HUGE behemoths and transport ships wasn't exactly thrilling…but still there's a world of difference between piloting a Split Chimera M3+, an Argon Buster M4 or a Boron Hydra M6… They are all extremely different to pilot and each can be fun. So I'm rather sad that we seem to be stuck in one specific size. I assume it'll be a ship thats around the M3/M3+ size I guess.

I still stand by what I said a while back, i'd put a dollar bet on the fact that doing it this way cuts development time and makes it easier to balance so they can release the product and get some money, while allowing them to sell DLCs that will contain new ships.

To get the best performance, one definitely would buy and use the automation software, but one doesn't have too. However, each ship had a person you automatically hired and took a cut of the profits when you activate the software. You even got a randomized name for them. Odd eh? I'll bet it isn't too different in Rebirth.

I see, when I saw automation software back then I jumped to "no dude aboard".

Yeah it's strange, without a doubt. Why do you need a software upgrade if it's just hiring a pilot? A "pilot" that had leveled up could be moved from ship to ship, but I never had the need to do this.

Im guessing they simply made it more "user" friendly in Rebirth. I think one of their main goals with rebirth was to make the learning curve a little less daunting to the average player.

I don't think adding new ships via DLC would work. A lot of the story revolves around the ship so swapping it out would be a pretty huge deal.

They may just be repeating the pattern for the original X series, though. The first X game had you in just one ship (the Xperimental Shuttle you can pick up in X3:TC). Maybe X:Rebirth2 will put you in several again.

According to an new Newsletter, there is an Collector's Edition planned for the Rebirth.

Just a few days away now. http://soon.tm/

It's probably about time I finished up X3:TC, I suppose...

P.S. Best URL evah!

Well, it's released, and that launch trailer looks amazing.

Anybody playing yet?
I've been trying to find reviews, but fail to find much. Didn't Egosoft send out review copies?

I've been playing it for a couple of hours. Very spectacular so far though I have no idea what I'm doing - which is good I suppose since that was exactly the case with X3 TC too (the only other X game I've played). At least there's a lot of hand holding early on for a change, so I'm not entirely lost.

I'm worried that they have replaced the cumbersome interface of their previous games with an equally cumbersome one, lots of sub-menus inside sub-menus inside other sub-menus, but I haven't had the chance to do anything all that complicated yet to know how well it really works.
The stations both outside and inside are impressive and there's seems to be some significant inspiration from Mass Effect in several areas including the visuals and the interface. Also a 'small talk' minigame? WTF?

Yeah don't buy it yet. I far exceed the minimum specs (Core i7 4770k, Radeon 7870, 16 GB RAM, OCZ vertex SSD) and it runs like a slide show on all settings. It's unplayable at even modest settings; the settings at which it is at least barely playable it looks like absolute shit.

Given the differences in user experiences I suspect it is optimized only for a subset of configurations; given the similar experiences of other users to myself and their relatively high end specs it seems that one can well exceed the recommended specs and end up with an unplayable shitty experience. Wait for several patches. It might be great after that and you might even get lucky if you buy it now and it turns out to like your system, but if you're unlucky you're not going to like it very much.

Last edited:
Omg - orly - srsly - wtf

Currently, X:RB is a huge disappointment, sadly! It hurts badly. It's an epic failure. Steam forum goes berserk. OK, its mostly crap of uninformed kids, but I haven't seen THAT amount of rage before.

Maps: useless, you cannot scroll and zoom, nothing. No minimap. Auto pilot: gone. 3D character models - they wasted their time, as expected. Their thoughts on Yisha (your mate with the extra long neck): "Oh, gamers want tits". Also the stations from inside. They've got that "OMG, are we back in the 90s" flair. The one and only player ship: no. Looking like out of a 2005 computer game. NPC just standing around and all the same models. Old grandma face with Claudia Schiffer body.
No free look and turning when sitting in the cockpit (they should play ArmA in order to see how this is done). No zoom look that was possible before.
For every bullshit the ship needs to stop and character turns right in order to control something. Of course no free turn, just fixed animations.
THAT UI - they just have gone wrong. Seems like they only used controllers in Ego-Land. UI is crap for a genuine PC game. And the UI fonts: micro.

There's just so much so utterly wrong that you cannot believe it.

Fortunately we had XCOM:EW release at the same day.
Space, station exterior and highways: good. But navigation is just bad so no fun yet. I cannot enjoy this currently.

It's not nearly that level of bad, needs some patch but it looks awesome. You are being a drama queen.

Well they do seem to have changed maybe even too much, nothing seems to work the way it did, meaning people need to learn it all over again. One should probably approach this as an entire new and different game so as not to be immediately disappointed - try to focus on what you can do in this game instead of what you can't do the way you could before. Some things didn't change though: the game is buggy, the interface is terrible, sometimes doing something is more complicated than necessary, some visuals are dated, the NPCs look awful, the voice acting is bad… yeah, sounds like X.

It is unfair to compare the first few hours with the entirety of a playthrough of the previous games. To be honest I found the first 5 hours of this one a lot more entertaining than the first 5 hours of TC… at least I spent them actually playing instead of doing research on the web in order to figure out how to dock at a station ;)

Back
Top Bottom