General News - 10 Best Turn-Based Western RPGs

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
TheGamer compiled a list of good turn-based RPGs:

10 Best Turn-Based Western RPGs Of All Time, Ranked

Though some of the best RPGs of all time were developed by Japanese studios, these 10 western development houses did the genre justice.

1. South Park: The Stick Of Truth
  2. The Banner Saga Trilogy
  3. Wizardry 8
  4. Wasteland 2
  5. Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark
  6. Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  7. Pillars Of Eternity II: Deadfire
  8. XCOM 2
  9. Divinity Original Sin II
  10. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
[...]
More information.

Here is my list:

1. Shadowrun Dragonfall
2. PoE2
3. DOS 2
4. Blackguards 2
5. Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mask

I'd struggle to list a proper order beyond 5, but all those mentioned above are fun in general, with some honorable mentions to things like Battle Brothers or Ash of gods: Redemption. Some of the games are more tactical combat games than RPGs, but whatever., I'll take it.

I know these lists are intended to cause debate and South Park (which I enjoyed, but come on) is at No1 as bait, but what is Knights of the Old Republic doing here?

Hahaha, okay.

I thought it was a list of Western games as in old west and wondered how they'd fill out such a list. Now that I look at it, turns out it's just silliness.

I think HiddenX got the order the other way round - according to the article, stick of the truth is 10th place, and KoToR is in the first place. This makes more sense.

replace TBST with Fallout and that's a pretty good list.

I guess "all time" doesn't go back very far. gold box games, ultima, M&M.

If were going to include KOTOR then what about BG. If you make it pause at the end of every round it's effectively TB. If Xcom is in then so should kings bounty. and on and on and on.

I was wondering that: why is SW:KotOR on a list of turn-based games?

Yep, the order is reversed in the article from the post here.

In any case, lots of these games I would not put into top 10.

South Park: The Stick Of Truth - Cannot judge, never played it
The Banner Saga Trilogy - Only played the first, the combat was good, but the rest, including the randomness in resource and character management, wasn't great
Wizardry 8 - Haven't played enough to judge
Wasteland 2 - Played at release. I don't know how big the changes were afterwards, but the combat at release was pretty bad, with characters pretty much limited to actions which equal their AP. Like if you had 10 AP, you had to have a weapon which needed 5 AP to shoot two times. I think later on you used headshot all the times with more AP. That was pretty bad.
Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - Not played
Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Good game, but not great combat, and the game was too short for it's own character system to really take effect
Pillars Of Eternity II: Deadfire - Horrible implementation of turn based combat. Felt totally tacked on and wonky, pretty bad AI
XCOM 2 - I don't like the implementation of TB combat, but in that case it's likely rather subjective. Never played the second of Firaxis XComs
Divinity Original Sin II - Yep, should probably be first in the list
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - Only played for 4 hours. Can't say much about it as I hardly remember it. What I do remember is that I didn't like the combat.

If they're going back far enough to include Wizardry 8, then JA2 should still be #1.

I forgot to say in my first post, but I think Underrail deserves a mention too.

And if they consider SW turn based, then NWN is too, and would also be in the list, not because of the single player campaign, which was decent, but the unlimited multiplayer content over two decades thanks to fan-made persistent worlds, mods and adventures.

In any case, neither Star Wars nor NWN are turn-based, it's just actions play in 6-second action segments but you can move freely and manipulate the turn sequences in many ways. In a same fight with 7 creatures, each of them have mismatching action segments, starting and ending their turn arbitrarily, as the "turns" aren't synced between different emtities. It's as if you said WoW is turn-based because all actions have a 1.5sec global cooldown and so everything plays in 1.5 sec segments, ie turn based.

If they're going back far enough to include Wizardry 8, then JA2 should still be #1.

Yep, definitely. I mean there are lots of great TB games, didnt even want to start to mention games fitting more into that list. :p

If Temple of Elemental Evil is not on their list then I have no time for it ;). If you have Shadow Run then you need Battle Brothers. You all come to me if you want a true top ten list. Where's Fallout 1&2? Get the F**K off my lawn. :)

So KOTOR at the top of the list of turn based games? That kind of ruins the credibility? Sure, they mention it's actually round based, but to then not have games like BG2, PS:T or PF:KM on the list… *sigh*

All the games on the are good games in my opinion, some of them would certainly be included in my Top20 OAT. That doesn't make it a good list.

Don't care about the list.:lol:

36dfedb1c38bb656c2ea540630d11ea2.gif

Back
Top Bottom