Grimoire - Manual Now Available

That has little to do with the qualities of the game, really. Sure, some like the game because of its qualities. But the codex loves Steve because of the drama he produces, and they love the attention he gives them. The same drama is what turns some people off around here. Pretty much to be expected, judging by the different "local culture" (?).

Actually it does seem like the anti-drama heroes here like drama as much as the Codex. They just want to make drama about pretending they don't want drama.

The true anti-drama heroes are the ones you never hear drama from....

Why is it drama? Cleve talks huge amounts of rubbish. Has missed loads of deadlines he imposes on himself and makes promises he doesn’t keep. And mentioning that becomes listed as drama, because in the end something is delivered? That is odd.

You have to see the irony here though - he gets most of his kudos from Codex. Of all places. They love him over there.

They've always loved him, he's a Drama queen. I kind of love him for that as well, his statements have given me far more joy than I reckon his game ever will.

Why is it drama? Cleve talks huge amounts of rubbish. Has missed loads of deadlines he imposes on himself and makes promises he doesn’t keep. And mentioning that becomes listed as drama, because in the end something is delivered? That is odd.

The parts I see as drama are mostly about the way he picks a fight with everyone who criticizes the game. Maybe there's a better term for that.

Last edited:
It's been fun, but paying him actual money... oh dearie me - no.

I took a brief look at this manual and I'm liking the depth and nuance of some of the systems. The prospect of a Naga Assassin is very enticing ;)

I wonder if I'll ever get around to playing this properly - but it certainly seems to be what Cleve was originally trying to make.

Not sure if it's actually better than Wizardry 7 - but it would seem to be in the realm of the plausible.

For a one-person job, it's pretty good even considering the development time.

Having played both, and very much enjoyed both, I didn't find Grimoire better than Wizardry Seven. It's good, and worth playing for sure, but it didn't beat that game, nor Wizardry Eight, in my opinion.

I think it’s pretty close being on par with Wizardry 7. Where Wizardry 7 excels at world building it suffers from worse than obtuse puzzle design (Munkharama particularly) and excessive “find key now / discover door 30 hours later” syndrome. Grimoire has plenty of puzzles but doesn’t try to impress you quite as much with how clever it is.

Yeah, he brought a TON of the drama on himself. I was a regular visitor to the forum for a while (years, maybe) and went there primarily for the yucks. He did make a lot of promises he never kept, attacked people who questioned his ethics, and made silly grandiose claims about the game.

I did buy it at release, mostly out of morbid curiousity, and while I found the exploration to be a lot of fun (as most people agreed), I found the combat incredibly tedious and got frustrated with not only the lack of a manual, but stats/abilites/skills that appeared to do absolutely nothing.

Back
Top Bottom