Pillars of Eternity II - THQ Nordic & Versus Evil Deal

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
THQ Nordic and Versus Evil Deal have a distribution agreement for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire.

THQ Nordic and Versus Evil sign exclusive distribution deal for Obsidian Entertainment’s Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

January 23, 2018
THQ Nordic to globally distribute (excluding Korean version) the physical edition of the upcoming RPG in partnership with Versus Evil and Obsidian Entertainment

Vienna/AUSTRIA, Phoenix, ML/USA, January 23, 2018: THQ Nordic today announced signing a global distribution deal (excluding the Korean language version) for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire with Versus Evil. Currently in development for PC, MAC and Linux by Obsidian Entertainment, the physical edition of the game will be brought to you by THQ Nordic. Further information on the content of the editions, as well as RRP and the release date to be announced soon.

“When we first started working with Obsidian on Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, we knew that we wanted to make sure that we created a great physical product that matched the quality of this RPG”, said Steve Escalante General Manager of Versus Evil. “In partnering with THQ Nordic, not only did we find a team that is passionate about the product, but has the distribution and reach we hope to achieve with a physical edition of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire.

“We are all really excited for the game and its different editions. It is always a pleasure working together with such talented, motivated, and dedicated teams like Versus Evil and Obsidian. It also helps that we are huge fans of the genre“, comments Jan Binsmaier Publishing Director of THQ Nordic. “On top of all that, we found a strong and reliable partner with Versus Evil, and it feels great to know that we share our mindset and work ethics. It is a perfect match.”
More information.

So... THQ Nordic does the physical distribution and Versus Evil the digital? Layers of middle men added: check.

Versus Evil is an American company, Nordic a European one. Its not uncommon for American companies, especially smaller ones, to give European distribution to a European partner.

What's that physical edition thing you're talking about? Oh, must be one of those boxes you can buy where you can find the Steam code inside.

The Steam code's physical armor.

What's that physical edition thing you're talking about? Oh, must be one of those boxes you can buy where you can find the Steam code inside.

There was a physical edition in the Kickstarter that needs to be produced/distributed at least.

At least in Germany the retail market share is still a big thing.

And as I said before: When there are no more physical games to buy I have a backlog of 350 games to play. I won't be able to finish them all before I leave this world for another.

Alright...

YOUR PLEDGE

PHYSICAL BOX
Physical Box Copy Of Pillars II
Digital Guidebook Volume II
In-Game Pet
Special In-Game Item #1
Special In-Game Item #2
Digital Soundtrack
Forum Badge
"Cooking With Tim, Vol. 1" Digital RPG Cookbook
Pillars Of Eternity Pen & Paper Starter Guide
Tyranny 50%-Off Coupon

YOUR EXTRAS

Superbacker Discount
Pillars II DLC
Hardcover Guidebook Volume II

Certainly looking forward to it. There's something about the Infinity Engine style that still does it for me. I just hope they can refine the system to break away from balanced-to-the-point-of-homogeny.

Certainly looking forward to it. There's something about the Infinity Engine style that still does it for me. I just hope they can refine the system to break away from balanced-to-the-point-of-homogeny.

The balance doesn't have anything to do with "homogeny". POE1 beta started with more role restricted classes and testers whining is what brought over the common talent pool.

Just like it will be for Deadfire. Its beta started with a class strict system (more strict than POE1 too) that limited roles for classes based on their available passives and actives.The only thing shared by all the classes is the weapon proficiency system. Unfortunately, some beta testers just want to play a melee Fighter that read Ranger or Wizard on their character sheet (no multiclassing allowed too, some people are pissed about the multiclassing really) and Obsidian seems to have said "why not" (seems because they announced something but it didn't make beta patch 2).

Versus Evil is an American company, Nordic a European one. Its not uncommon for American companies, especially smaller ones, to give European distribution to a European partner.

Like with record companies ...

The balance doesn't have anything to do with "homogeny". POE1 beta started with more role restricted classes and testers whining is what brought over the common talent pool.

Just like it will be for Deadfire. Its beta started with a class strict system (more strict than POE1 too) that limited roles for classes based on their available passives and actives.The only thing shared by all the classes is the weapon proficiency system. Unfortunately, some beta testers just want to play a melee Fighter that read Ranger or Wizard on their character sheet (no multiclassing allowed too, some people are pissed about the multiclassing really) and Obsidian seems to have said "why not" (seems because they announced something but it didn't make beta patch 2).

Actually, I think that was Ripper's point. The whole thing ends up feeling homogeneous - because all your choices feel equally viable and (not)powerful, which is a decidedly bad thing for some of us.

I'm not saying that's the actual case - and I'm sure there are ways to build better characters and what not.

It's just that I never found those ways - and the system seems designed around that not being intended.

I don't really care what the original intent was - I only care about the end result.

My thoughts exactly. I will take it one step further and say I wish they will make their ruleset an actual consistent one, like a "new D&D." They are missing a great opportunity to do that, IMO, as well as create a new setting akin to the Forgotten Realms (Tyranny should have been set in the same world and PoE2 should have allowed Baldur's Gate-style party/character importing as well.)

Random side-note, but I hope/wish that Beamdog opens up the Infinity Engine more, making it easier for modders to make new campaigns in it. I'd love to see more unique IE content, as Siege of Dragonspear shows it can be done and done to a good quality level. I'd be interested to see entirely unique campaigns in the engine, done by Beamdog or others. Because there is definitely still something about that engine that does it for me as well.

…. I won't be able to finish them all before I leave this world for another.

I hate you!!!! :)))

pibbur who is 63 and probably has a larger backlog than the nobleman.

PS: Actually: I don't hate anybody. Or anything. only on occasion (not this time) a slight dislike. DS.

They are missing a great opportunity to do that, IMO,
Well with respect - if you'd paid closer attention to development of Deadfire, you'd be aware that a pen and paper starters guide is being designed alongside the game. This rule-set won't be based upon the computer game but on Obsidian's own specifically made rules for table top gaming. Those who backed at premium digital level and above will get this when the game is released. It's also purchasable as an add-on for $7. Perhaps if this is received well, it will be further expanded. More info on it here:

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/02/rpg-pillars-eternity-getting-tabletop-rpg.html

I respectfully disagree on the importation concept too. Connectivity via higher levelling brings a whole new layer of development requirements. I'm also less interested in power-gaming at high levels and generally find the struggles of low-level role-playing more interesting and satisfying. My only minor grievance with the game so far is the reduction of the maximum party size to 5 (going against Infinity engine and Gold-box game history) but I'll easily adapt to that.

On the whole, it is still relatively early days for this IP. Opportunities for its further expansion will no doubt be somewhat reliant upon the success of Deadfire into the future. I'm happy to have backed Obsidian again and look forward to seeing how it turns out although I'll probably wait a few weeks after release before jumping in. I've too many games to catch up with now as it is and summer break is all but over. :)

My only minor grievance with the game so far is the reduction of the maximum party size to 5 (going against Infinity engine and Gold-box game history)
What were their motivations and reasons to do that? Better overview in combat?

Sad times in which the physical world is more and more dissolving, being transformed into an digital world ...

Back
Top Bottom