InXile Entertainment - New Game is a FPS-RPG

It's a big step up for them. First person requires a much more detailed and dynamic world. The closest experience they had is the bards tale I think.

It's much more work and the additional money from Microsoft doesn't always work to scale things up nicely.

So many doubters on this thread. Seems no one remembers a game called Hunted: The Demon's Forge. It was InXile's first attempt at a big budget blockbuster.

They failed but now they have other developers and resources under Microsoft. Even Feargus of Obsidian claimed the doors have opened for them with Microsoft.

Yes isometric budget niches RPGs are good but they can't keep just making them.

Why not? Bethesda abandoned single player. EA's fold may or may not put out something worth playing. Witcher ran its course.

Someone needs to make decent first person RPGs (that are more RPG and less action/shoot with RPG elements).

I agree that many entries of this type end up as unplayable garbage but someone has to try to succeed.

I heard a rumor that it's also steampunk. Possibly related or something like an Arcanum game. We'll see...

It's a big step up for them. First person requires a much more detailed and dynamic world. The closest experience they had is the bards tale I think.

It's much more work and the additional money from Microsoft doesn't always work to scale things up nicely.

If only they had some other studios that could lend them a hand...too bad MS didn't buy any like that...

Why not? Bethesda abandoned single player. EA's fold may or may not put out something worth playing. Witcher ran its course.

Someone needs to make decent first person RPGs (that are more RPG and less action/shoot with RPG elements).

I agree that many entries of this type end up as unplayable garbage but someone has to try to succeed.

What? Since when did bethesda abandon single player...you may have not have heard of a little game called starfield.

If only they had some other studios that could lend them a hand...too bad MS didn't buy any like that...
Good point, didn't want to doubt or be negative. I'm hoping for the best.

Tbh I can do without games with a party system like in Wasteland where your main characters are somewhat anonymous and in particular act anonymous. To me they feel incredibly shallow like lifeless puppets.

That it can be done better even if you don't have a special main char like in BG and similar games, is shown by Solasta.

Tbh I can do without games with a party system like in Wasteland where your main characters are somewhat anonymous and in particular act anonymous. To me they feel incredibly shallow like lifeless puppets.

That it can be done better even if you don't have a special main char like in BG and similar games, is shown by Solasta.

The problem I have with this is when it goes the opposite other way, your character being too defined that you don't really feel like the character is yours, you're just watching the same movie as everyone else. That for me removes pretty much all interest on the game.

There is a middle point that works well as seen in games like Mass Effect (your character is known, reputable and significant as you become more and more notorious in the game world, but you decide who they are, how they look, their morale compass, their allegiances/friendships, etc.) That is the kind of game I'm usually interested on the most.

The problem I have with this is when it goes the opposite other way, your character being too defined that you don't really feel like the character is yours, you're just watching the same movie as everyone else. That for me removes pretty much all interest on the game.
Yep, I get what you mean. That's one of the flaws of the Witcher games. The other side of the coin is that the game is tailored to this fixed character, which makes it really good in other aspects.

There is a middle point that works well as seen in games like Mass Effect (your character is known, reputable and significant as you become more and more notorious in the game world, but you decide who they are, how they look, their morale compass, their allegiances/friendships, etc.) That is the kind of game I'm usually interested on the most.
Yep! Again I think Baldur's Gate is again the gold standard in this regard. So much customization options, but still the game really feels like it was done for your very character.

Back
Top Bottom