Fallout 4 - Nuka World Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The International Business Times has reviewed the final DLC for Fallout 4 - Nuka World:

Fallout 4: Nuka World review - Bethesda's expansive RPG ends with a sugar crash

The final add-on for Bethesda's post-apocalyptic RPG has a visual pop but leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

Bethesda games are frequently criticised for casting their mute, often encumbered protagonists as the The Most Important Person To Have Ever Lived™. To some extent this argument has always held water, even if the overall medium's reliance on player agency is potentially a wider issue when discussing the creation of "living, breathing worlds", where NPCs refuse to put a foot out of step or inhale oxygen until a player avatar enters their vicinity.

[...]

Bethesda bids farewell to Fallout 4 with a final trot around the Commonwealth that epitomises the base game's glaring issues. Frustratingly inept AI, inconsequential decision-making and an over-reliance on adequate, but far from exceptional gun-play undermines Nuka-World's occasional moments of promise.

The minutely-crafted, faux-Disneyland environments pack a visual punch but the obscenely bland, zero-dimensional characters completely suck the life out of the DLC's multicoloured palette. Nuka-World gives ardent fans plenty more to explore, collect and shoot but don't be surprised if its flat delivery ultimately leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

Score: 2,5/5

More information.

TLDR...Bethesda tries to make a DLC as a satire of failings in the main game and somehow ends up failing at that?
It's actually pretty damn funny. :p ( aha, beat you Drithius).

Replaying Fallout 4 for the second time right now. About 100 hours in this walk through. Time for me to check Nuka-World. The more I play in Bethesda world including Skyrim and Enderal the more I like it. I didn't like Fallout 3 and New Vegas at the time when they came out, it was probably too action-oriented for me compared to Fallout 1/2. I replayed New Vegas about 3 years ago and suddenly I enjoyed it much more then before, I practically loved it. I spent in Skyrim probably about 1000 hours.
So I guess it just takes a bit more time for some people to get used to Bethesda world and start to love it. I don't know how expansion can fail compared to base game. It maybe a bit worse or a bit better, a bit more polished or a bit less polished, but in general it is still the same world.

Far as I'm concerned, Bethesda DLCs are just more resources for modders to put to actually good use

I do find it amusing that Bethesda took the "theme park" thing to its logical conclusion. Theme park-style RPG, etc., why not make a REAL theme park! :D

But hey, I actually think the idea of a post-apoc theme park is pretty freaking cool. I'm not talking about the content itself since I haven't played it, but exploring a theme park in this setting just seems fresh.

see, i come here for nuggets of wisdom like Enderal. thank you very much.

So I guess it just takes a bit more time for some people to get used to Bethesda world and start to love it.
errrr… no. It just take a bit more time to shut down your better judgement and brainwash yourself into believing that there's blood in this particular stone. Oh, and having more mods to choose from helps as well.
I don't know how expansion can fail compared to base game. It maybe a bit worse or a bit better, a bit more polished or a bit less polished, but in general it is still the same world.
Where in the article did you find "compared to the base game" phrase? It isn't a case of "DLC failed when compared to the main game" but of "DLC is as bad as the main game".

I stepped away from Fallout 4 before any DLC came out; I forget why. (Saw something shiny, I suppose.)

I am looking forward to seeing what they put in. It's not exactly my favorite type of video game genre, but I was/am enjoying it. (I generally don't prefer action type games - The Witcher 3 and Dragon's Dogma I find unplayable; I need at least RTWP or VATS or somesuch.)

High, high up in the mountains of the southwestern
And I wonder why would you call TW3 "action type game"? TW2 was indeed an ARPG (just as Dragon's Dogma was) but TW3 certainly isn't.

I think the Fallout setting needs to go fallow for a while. Let it rest and come back later with a fresh look. Just my $.02 worth.

I think Bethesda needs something fresh as well. Time to move away from Gamebryo completely. They've milked it too much.

Replaying Fallout 4 for the second time right now. About 100 hours in this walk through. Time for me to check Nuka-World. The more I play in Bethesda world including Skyrim and Enderal the more I like it. I didn't like Fallout 3 and New Vegas at the time when they came out, it was probably too action-oriented for me compared to Fallout 1/2. I replayed New Vegas about 3 years ago and suddenly I enjoyed it much more then before, I practically loved it. I spent in Skyrim probably about 1000 hours.
So I guess it just takes a bit more time for some people to get used to Bethesda world and start to love it. I don't know how expansion can fail compared to base game. It maybe a bit worse or a bit better, a bit more polished or a bit less polished, but in general it is still the same world.

Interesting thought. I feel the opposite. When I started playing FO3 I loved it. When I finished it the love was long gone. Skyrim was even worse. It's the whole "You shape the world" as opposed to "This is the world. Deal with it". While the level/world/loot scaling is humorously obvious in, say Oblivion (Now ALL the bandits have glass armor?), it's just as bad in Skyrim, just a bit more subtle at first. Same for FO3. Once the scaling becomes obvious it's pretty much game over for me, it just feels wrong. The world reacting to my choices and decisions? Awesome. The world changing and everything scaling up/down according to my experience level? Horrible.

NV actually felt better, but it could be because the writing and NPC's were more interesting.

The world changing and everything scaling up/down according to my experience level? Horrible.

Yes, it's a bad idea in my opinion too.
Fallout 4 does not have it. Skyrim did not have it either as far as I remember.

Yes, it's a bad idea in my opinion too.
Fallout 4 does not have it. Skyrim did not have it either as far as I remember.

Don't know about FO4, but Skyrim had it. Zones get populated according to the level you have entering them, meaning you would never face enemies out of your league. And they went even further, the damn LOOT scales too. Legendary items are better left unfound until late game since if you try to get them early they will be far less powerful.

Try playing the original Fallouts, Might and Magic 1-10, Gothic etc. That's what an open world without level scaling feels like. Alot more dangerous, but (to me) alot more rewarding.

Edit: Someone correct me if I'm wrong on any of those titles.

Don't know about FO4, but Skyrim had it. Zones get populated according to the level you have entering them, meaning you would never face enemies out of your league.

To a limited degree yes. And I can live with it.

As long as rat does not bite as hard as wolf does and as long as those bandits in the village Skyrise are never getting stronger than before, it's fine with me.
What is not fine is when the rat becomes as dangerous as dragon. But I have never met such rats in Skyrim.

As for regions that I have never been before, I don't mind if it's getting populated according to my level. It is actually rather a smart decision on Bethesda side.

Try playing the original Fallouts, Might and Magic 1-10, Gothic etc.

Great games, but outdated. I don't think that I ever going to replay it. With so many new and modern titles out there I simply do not have time and urge to go back to where I was 10 years ago. Fallout 4 stays high on my list... until Bethesda makes Elder Scrolls 6 I assume :)

Great games, but outdated. I don't think that I ever going to replay it. With so many new and modern titles out there I simply do not have time and urge to go back to where I was 10 years ago. Fallout 4 stays high on my list… until Bethesda makes Elder Scrolls 6 I assume :)

Oh, I agree, with the exception of maybe MMX I don't see myself replaying those games either. I'll just keep hoping that new games throw away scaling. I'm pretty sure TES won't, they cater to an audience that obviously prefers those systems.

At least some newer releases got it right, like D:OS. But as far as I'm aware of no "real" open world games?

Outdated? Like Miles Davis, Leonardo Da Vinci and J.R.R. Tolkien?

If we call vintage/older games outdated, how is anyone going to learn what they did right in those games and add those ideas to newer creations? If no one is playing Gothic today, who is going to document the unique things these games did and possibly build on them?

I just played Gothic 1 & 2 for the first time ever a year or two back and it was an excellent experience. Those games do things that no modern RPG does right now. Take that as a hint to the future RPG developer reading this.

Yeah, Gothic 1&2 are definitely not outdated in most aspects, and they're still superior to most newer open-world games imo.

Back
Top Bottom