Mary Skelter Nightmares - Review @ Destructoid

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Destructoid checked out the blobber Mary Skelter Nightmares:

A bloody good blobber

The first-person dungeon crawler transformed for me once I was introduced to Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey on the Nintendo DS. Before SMT, my experience was with ruthlessly difficult titles such as Might and Magic and Wizardry, which were incredibly unfriendly starting points to the genre. Speaking of Wizardry, it is an extremely popular series in Japan, so much that the Japanese continued producing games long after the series was dead in the West.

Mary Skelter: Nightmares is thoroughly steeped in the elements of this genre which has been beaten like a dead horse and practically saturates the PS Vita, the platform it was originally ported from. And while it is derivative in just about every sense, and familiar to the bone, it does just enough different to set it apart as being somewhat unique.

[...]

The game is fairly forgiving in its systems as well. Dungeons are connected to one another allowing for easy movement in between and out of them, and an early ability one of the girls has is to place a portal out of the dungeon for a very small amount of SP. You can freely exit the dungeon using this skill at just about any time, and save just about anywhere, but if you go back you will need to travel through the maze again to return to the point you left. That said, if this sounds repetitive or grindy and that bothers you, you’re better off playing something else. Mary Skelter: Nightmares fully embraces its dungeon-crawling roots, and is unapologetic about them, and I loved it.

Mary Skelter: Nightmares therefore treads fun but ultimately familiar water. There is something about it which strikes me as different from other titles in the genre, and the amount of tweaking you can do to build a unique party is welcome. It’s a fun, competent RPG with a unique presentation, but I would approach with caution if you absolutely can’t stomach another dungeon crawler.

It kept me engaged and having fun throughout, apart from when I was skipping dialogue trees as quickly as possible to preserve my own sanity. It’s a great blobber despite a dull story, and was fun enough to warrant hitting the “skip” button several thousand times in order to get back into the action.

Score: 7.5/10 - Good
More information.

Might and Magic was ‘incredibly unfriendly’??? Sigh

It's a good but not great dungeon crawler. Your party members react on enemy blood and you can calm them with the blood of the party leader (your avatar), who plays a support role.

It's a good but not great dungeon crawler. Your party members react on enemy blood and you can calm them with the blood of the party leader (your avatar), who plays a support role.

Sounds interesting! I'll stick it on my wishlist.
I like me a good blobber, and this is currently on "Very Positive" on Steam

Same here. I even looked over the website. It looks like though you have a set cast of fairy tale women, each character has access to a specific set of classes, so there is some Wizardry in there somewhere in that there is some party tailoring.

Back
Top Bottom