|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Soldak Entertainment - About the next Game

Default Soldak Entertainment - About the next Game

January 14th, 2018, 01:38
Maybe the name of the next Soldak game will be Din's Curse 2:

Hardcore game name

So I'm thinking about the name for the next game. I really don't like naming things; it's a pain and I don't think I'm that good at it. I'm actually more and more tempted to name it Din's Curse 2 and be done with it since there are plenty of similarities with Din's Curse. There are also some differences though.

A quick rundown of the next game: you play as one of the Mutated, characters are hardcore (permadeath) and mutate over time, the next generation of character is evolved from his/her parents and most of your total power carries over, you do have a lot of control of guiding your character's development (picking parents, picking skills, getting rid of unwanted mutations, etc), each world has a random setup and win conditions, and your goal in each area is to prove to the world that the Mutated is a "good" and powerful race.

Similarities to Din's Curse:
  • Overall goal is to move to an area, more often than not to help the local people, and move on to the next area
  • Both have same kind of resurrection mechanism thanks to the gods (Din in this case)
  • Tighter focus than most of our other games (not controlling a clan)
  • They are both cursed (DC your character is directly cursed by Din, in the new game basically the entire race is cursed because they are split off from Orcs)
  • Random, dynamic world (this is also true of all of our games except Kivi)
Differences with Din's Curse:
  • You're not playing a human, but a mutated (race introduced in Zombasite: Orc Schism)
  • You're not forced into redemption, but simply trying to prove your new race is good and powerful
  • It's not a true resurrection, but mutated and carry on from "parents"
  • There are no direct hybrids, but guided mutations/evolution
  • Not just a town and a dungeon (although many scenarios do this)
I didn't start this game as a sequel, but it fits pretty well; mostly just a change from Humans to Mutated as the focus. So what do you all think? Do you think I should go the Din's Curse 2 route or make this a separate game? Is it too different to be a Din's Curse game? Or do you not care what I call it as long as I hurry up?
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

January 14th, 2018, 01:38
Apart from the core of your games, which is different and good, could you please work on the UI and fonts a bit?
The latest of your games i tried was Zombasite (which i won here, thanks again!) and the UI / font were kind of crude. The UI is too big and intrusive. The fonts are too diverse, too big and too colorful.
Other than that: Keep on rocking.

vidder

Sentinel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

January 14th, 2018, 02:11
They spice up their visuals they could really get something going

SonOfCapiz

Sentinel

January 14th, 2018, 03:04
If it's gonna use all the Dins Curse classes again, like Zombasite, then just call it Dins Curse.

SirJames

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

January 15th, 2018, 17:31
Call it "The Mutated". Done.

Also, make it turn-based. (haha, it's okay, I know it won't be turn-based. [sadface])

screeg

floating head

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
+1:

January 15th, 2018, 23:06
Originally Posted by vidder View Post
The UI is too big and intrusive.
If you go into Options/Game Options and turn on the Minimal UI option, the main UI will take up much less space.
--
Steven Peeler
lead designer/programmer of Depths of Peril, Din's Curse, Drox Operative, Zombasite, & Din's Legacy
Soldak - Patreon

Steven Peeler

Watcher

January 16th, 2018, 02:29
Originally Posted by Steven Peeler View Post
If you go into Options/Game Options and turn on the Minimal UI option, the main UI will take up much less space.
Thanks! Any plans to "fix" the fonts? I still find it too big and distracting.
Also: any chance to provide an option to zoom out a bit more?

vidder

Sentinel

January 17th, 2018, 17:54
i'm quite into soldak games and i'm looking forward to this new project. Hope it will be a good one.

They Live

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

January 17th, 2018, 20:58
I've never been able to get into them. I don't do clans and big groups well at all. I'm a single-player single character gamer for the most part. I bought one, just to back the dev, who posts here occasionally.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Grumpy Role Player
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

January 19th, 2018, 20:44
Originally Posted by vidder View Post
Thanks! Any plans to "fix" the fonts? I still find it too big and distracting.
Also: any chance to provide an option to zoom out a bit more?
Probably not for Zombasite, but I'll put that on the list of things to look at for this next game.

It's not an official option but you can increase r_viewFarDist in the console or your user.cfg to get a larger zoom.

Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
I don't do clans and big groups well at all. I'm a single-player single character gamer for the most part.
In our next game, you won't be running a clan.
--
Steven Peeler
lead designer/programmer of Depths of Peril, Din's Curse, Drox Operative, Zombasite, & Din's Legacy
Soldak - Patreon

Steven Peeler

Watcher

+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Soldak Entertainment - About the next Game