Shadowrun Returns - Kickstarter Campaign

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Jordan Weisman, the orginal creator of Shadowrun, has started a Kickstarter campaign for a "graphically rich 2D turn-based single player game with deep story interaction, meaningful character development, and highly-contextual tactical combat" for tablets and PC. His new studio Harebrained Schemes is asking for a modest $400k and they've passed half of that in a few hours, so this looks like a runaway success. Here's a snip and head to their Kickstarter page to read more, watch the (excellent) video and pledge:
Jordan Weisman, the creator of Shadowrun, is back and Shadowrun Returns (for Apple & Android tablets and PCs) is the game that Shadowrun fans have been waiting for a long time. A graphically rich 2D turn-based single player game with deep story interaction, meaningful character development, and highly-contextual tactical combat, Shadowrun Returns is not only going to make some old geeks (like us) very happy but it will introduce new players to a dynamic gaming universe that is beloved around the world.
Created almost 25 years ago, Shadowrun remains one of the most original and cherished role-playing settings. The game world’s origin story mashes-up the dystopian Cyberpunk future of a Blade Runner with the high fantasy creatures and races of a Lords of the Rings in an organic way that produces iconic characters, environments, and situations. [...]
We intend to follow a braided anthology structure for our story. Jordan, his partner Mitch Gitelman and Mike Mulvihill, who led Shadowrun game development at FASA Corp. will craft and structure the meta-story, then supply key information for a group of writers to weave into their own short stories, which we'll then use as the basis for our missions. To ensure an authentic tone, we'll incorporate the storytelling skills of many Shadowrun authors and designers who've been carrying the flame over the last 23 years such as:

• Michael A. Stackpole
  • Mike Mulvihill
  • Tom Dowd
  • Malik Toms
  • Mel Odom
  • Jason Hardy
  • Stephen Kenson
The result should be an overall narrative that is layered, textured, and satisfying.
One of the many innovations in Data East’s Shadowrun Super Nintendo game was a unique conversation engine that opened up new avenues of conversation based upon information you learned through interactions with characters and objects. We intend on taking a similar path with a new twist or two.
Thanks to the dozen or so readers who wrote in!
More information.

Sigh, on margin, I APPROVE of this brave new future where I have not only a to-buy list to be woefully behind on, but also a to-Kickstart one!

Absolutely thrilling to see the initial outpouring or support---they chose wisely to aim for a modest funding target.

This is awesome, I think I played Shadowrun on the super nintendo back in the early 90's, and it was great.

All the types of RPG I like seem to be making a comeback on kickstarter, very exciting I just hope it turns out well.

I'm not sure this is the guy who made the original shadowrun genesis game, but the guy behind the paper game.

Good news. Hopefully its not like the Shadowrun fps that came out 5 years ago.

Well, I'll be... I thought I'd never see a shadowrun CRPG. Just the chance of it is almost to good not to pledge...

Ok, now I am really tempted… Oh shoot I guess If I start on that slippery slope I might as well give in to wasteland 2, too… And the Dead State one is also just around the corner :[

This would be a dream come true. I'd faint.

Just press that "pay now" button there… :evilgrin: Then feel free to faint at your own convenience ;)

Almost too good to be true. I'll never buy a finished game again if all these kickstarters actually pull through.

They had my pledge at "Shadowrun".

Sweet they just broke the $400,000 mark. We will get to play this game. Tis a good day :)

Shadowrun was the only real Cyberpunk RPG that had any success (until d20 modern).

I just wished they didn't add magic and made it pure Sci-Fi. I would have been far more interested in it back in the day.

Back
Top Bottom