Two Worlds (1.6) & Two Worlds: Temptation

Just posted to say that I'm
Still playing two worlds and having tons of fun. Now that I'm deeper in to the game I'm happy to say that everything I said in the first post is still true. This is an excellent game and it still feels fresh and it still keeps on feeling interesting.

Damn I cant wait for the sequel/expansion thingy.

I completely agree with you... I loved TW and I can't wait for the next part to come out as well!

This game has a magnificent soundtrack.
Can I get it somewhere?

Hopefully the same guy is composing for the sequel.

Some news regarding two worlds here:
http://www.gamebanshee.com/twoworlds/
Seems like they're releasing some downloadable addon paks for the xbox.

I tried hitting the "submit news" button on the front page but I could not make out what those funky characters were so I gave up :D

.. I guess I failed a lore check.

Last edited:
Can I get it somewhere?

It was Harold Faltermeyer, who composed the soundtrack to various movies.

Look here :
ALBUM

Plus this one :

single

Thread resurrection.

I know a lot of you really enjoy Two Worlds, so I thought I'd reinstall it and start over with a fresh mind.

But I don't get it. I really don't.

It looks great, has nice music, an equipment system that is neat and - of course - a big game world...that is simply not interesting. I find the dialogue dire, the main story trite (the side-quests are better but mostly fetch-fare) and the combat terrible.

I've wandered over a big part of the gameworld and not found anything remotely interesting...no hidden caches or unexpected quests. There are towns and a few outposts, grom camps and the like but nothing suprising - like, say, Gothic has.

When I stand on top of a hill I can see dozens and dozens of wolves running in circles near a bunch of boars running in circles (god, there are so many wolves in a tiny area). While they do attack each other occasionally if I go near them they all attack me and if I run away I can end up with a train of 20 wolves, some boars, a few groms, a bear... It just doesn't have the feel of a real ecosystem (like Gothic). I'd fight them, but the combat is dull and you get easily mobbed.

What am I missing? I get the attraction of a big world but what is interesting about this one and why does anyone like the combat?

You have been possessed by a malicious spirit
that keeps telling you that you don't like the game even though
you do!! Call Ghostbusters, Quick! *ghostbusters theme starts playing*

Seriously though: Dhruin, how did you like Morrowind?
I have been wondering if there's a correlation with liking morrowind
and liking two worlds because I feel that they kinda pull the same strings.
Obviously, morrowind is much deeper and better in every possible way,
but still...

Morrowind was OK but, no, it wasn't my cup of tea either. I actually prefer Oblivion (yes, sacrilege) over both of these.

I think (for me) it lacks interesting characters and situations. I just don't feel invested in the game (why would I want to save that silly tart of a sister that looks like she should be out nightclubbing?).

Morrowind was OK but, no, it wasn't my cup of tea either. I actually prefer Oblivion (yes, sacrilege) over both of these.

Blasphemy indeed.

I have been wondering if there's a correlation with liking morrowind and liking two worlds.

Morrowind was one of my best RPG experiences, though I find Two Worlds fairly mediocre. I was very involved with Two Worlds before its release though, so I guess there's a slight truth in that pattern.
Two Worlds didn't live up to its proclaimed "shaping the story" possibilities, the combat was too hack'n'slash'ish and the interiors were more or less non-existent. And yes, that sister didn't make it much better either. These were my main problems with the game. The "living world" was great to experience though.

Gamestar has an add-on (?) called "Tainted Blood" on the magazine's DVD of number 5/2008.
http://www.gamestar.de/index.cfm?pid=930&pk=113177

It is probably only on the "XL" edition of the mag.

The official site of "Two Worlds" says that this pack/add-on is primarily designed for multiplayers. Even although it is playable in singleplayer mode, it NEEDS a "server connection".

Can I get it somewhere?

You could buy the royal edition, its still available in som places. It includes:

* Two Worlds
* Two Worlds T-shirt
* 55-sheets playing cards
* Two-sided poster with the world map of Antaloor on the front and the box cover on the back
* Kilgorin letter opener (only included in the Windows release)
* Bonus DVD with the soundtrack, making-of, wallpapers and web-kit

I very much like the combat in this game. But I like gothic too.

Why? And what is the relationship to Gothic? I can't see any similarities...Gothic needs carefully timed blocks and blows to from combos after your skill has advanced enough; as far as I can tell, I get the best result from 2W by button-mashing Diablo-style.

I get the best result from 2W by button-mashing Diablo-style.

I don't. When going melee, I land a few blows and then dodge - rinse & repeat.
But I don't do much melee.

Usually I..
..fire arrows from above (like a hill/cliff edge) or from horseback
..use necromancy to conjure some undead thingie to aid me
..use the spell that shoots skeleton hands from the ground that grab my enemies
..sneak around and backstab
..sneak around and lay traps

Melee combat is quite simple, yes. But one can't blame the game if one creates a boring character with only melee combat skill. And it's not like other modern first person RPG's have done the melee combat thing any better.

Usually I..

The thing is, magic combat is equally boring, since you can do everything with just two spells, and you'll get powerful very, very quickly (for the record, it's the "increase damage by next spell" spell ("overpower" maybe?) followed by a fireball; after level 10 or so, it'll kill everything in one hit). Yeah, there are all those other fancy spells, but you can kill everything with just these two, so why bother?

Same goes for melee, really - you've got all the fancy stuff like kicking dust in their faces and whatnot, but in the end you're just going "Diablo style button mashing", as Dhruin put it.

I just re-read my opinion in the RPGWatch review ... and still feel the same way. Flawed but fun.

Yeah, there are all those other fancy spells, but you can kill everything with just these two, so why bother?

Uh... well... perhaps because it's more fun?
I thought the purpose was not to kill everything as fast as possible,
but to have fun.

In any case:

"Two Worlds: The Temptation will also include a host of improvements and all-new game content on the same scale as the original Two Worlds’ epic game world. From more intricate missions, improved voice-overs and animations to re-tooled horseback riding, completely revamped combat and a new graphics engine that delivers visuals that have to be seen to be believed, Two Worlds: The Temptation is set to build on the success of the original and take the fantasy kingdom of Antaloor to new heights of complexity and player freedom."

To me, it seems that they actually listened to feedback from the players instead of just doing fancier visuals and adding more monsters and fetch quests.
So those that felt the combat lacking, might still want to check out temptation, at least try a demo or sumthin'. It seems they have added some kind of active blocking system and there will be different "striking modes" or something like that.

Also:
"The graphical engine will be revamped, together with the physics system, which will now enable you to pick up ladders and use them in various places. (Innovation!) You'll also be able to sail the seas surrounding Antaloor in a boat."

I've always felt that boats would be very cool to have in free roamers.
I wanna explore small islands and mysterious sea-caves.

If I would be a game designer, I'd have a stamina system where the player would have to eat and drink to replenish stamina, and fishing would be one of the ways to acquire food. Would be so cool :D If the player could finish off the fishies with a fireball, he wouldn't need to have a separate barbeque., or prepare the food on a fire like in arx fatalis.

Last edited:
Same goes for melee, really - you've got all the fancy stuff like kicking dust in their faces and whatnot, but in the end you're just going "Diablo style button mashing", as Dhruin put it.

I agree; there are simply so many monsters around guarding nothing that it gets boring and you don't see a point in trying a different tactic for your 54th pack of wolves. For me, combat has to be much more complicated before it becomes interesting itself. I killed about 90 % of my monsters on horseback riding circles around enemies at walking speed because they could very rarely hit back.

It was nevertheless an interesting game, but it was too easy even on hard; unless this is fixed in a patch, your weapons became too strong too soon. But I did finish it as a fighter kind of character.

Cool, thanks. I've just deleted the game. I don't mean to sound like a smart-ass but firing fireballs from above is exactly not what I want. I'd be satisfied with mediocre (to me) combat if I was enjoying the writing or characters but I'm not.

Thanks for the input.

Back
Top Bottom