Knights of the Chalice - Reaches v.1.14

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Version 1.13 and, subsequently, v1.14 of Knights of the Chalice has been released by Heroic Fantasy Games. Some AI improvements, selling shortcuts and general fixes:
Version 1.14:
Reminder: you will find the download link in the email you received after purchasing the game. This upgrade will not damage your saved games.

1) Any damage from Finger of Death, Mind Blast, Slay Living and Greater Disintegrate will awaken a sleeping creature, if it doesn’t kill it outright.
2) Fixed a minor bug where an enemy awakening a sleeping ally could still take a double move action.
3) Added a shortcut to sell items when trading: press “S” while mousing over an item and it will be sold.
4) Added mentions of the U and S shortcuts in the readme.txt and in-game help.
5) corrected acient => ancient in character description.
6) fixed a bug mentioned by Xalles with spells that have repeating effects, like magic missile.
7) Spellcasters will be a bit more unpredictable with their use of the Dispel spell.
8) Slightly increased big red’s use of the breath attack.
9) Creatures will avoid insanely long paths to reach the party.
10) The AI will try to surround the player characters and avoid situations where one creature blocks others.

============================================================================

1) Fixed a minor bug in the inventory with item stacks.
2) Fixed the issue with gnolls in the Hill Giant Castle’s underground.
3) Fixed some more upper case/lower case display problems.
4) Fixed characters walking underneath junk in the Undead Tower.
5) Fixed the bug with picking gold stack when party is out of range.
6) The game will properly target enemies even if they’re standing on the same square as a non-combatant.
7) The game will not allow to add Flaming on top of a Flaming Burst weapon, Frost on top of Icy Burst, Shock on top of Shock Burst.
8) The game will allow casting Freedom of Movement on PCs at any time in combat.
9) The game will allow scrolling slightly beyond the map’s edges.
10) Teleport spell will not work in the orc stockade unless the gate has been reopened. Once this is done, random monsters may appear in the upper level.
11) Added an expanded tooltip presenting the main factors in chance to hit.
12) The player characters will not be able to take a five foot step in areas of tall grass.
13) Quoris will cast a few pre-determined spells at the beginning of the ultra-ending battle.
More information.

This game really put commercial companies to shame regarding releasing patches....

Well, that's one way of putting I guess...

Another could be that the game was released before it was quite ready. I mean, fixing bugs is great - but ideally there shouldn't be many in a released product. In previous patch releases the author even talked about what he "would like to do next" with the game. That's not bug fixing, that's game/feature development.

But it is of course great that the author offers support for his product!

I think that's both harsh and probably inaccurate. Every game has bugs, even the major releases. BlueSalamander obviously doesn't have the resources of a commercial compatibility lab but the bug list still seems pretty reasonable to me- and at least he is being very reactive.

I think that's both harsh and probably inaccurate.

I agree. Most of the changes have been to improve gameplay, due to comments from players (like me, in fact). I started playing the game as soon as it was released, and I didn't find any bugs. If there were bugs, they couldn't have been too bad.

But there were some awkward interface decisions and that terrible font he used at first - annoyances that detracted from a great game - and those were the things he quickly - very quickly - improved. That's impressive! I wish every commercial game developer were so helpful.

I just wish he would add more camp fires to rest at. There are some areas which are near impossible to get past without choosing certain feats on level-up.

Lots of indie development fans on this thread, I see. This guy released an enjoyable, playable, basically* bug-free game his first time out, implementing a legendarily byzantine table-top rule system, and you're suggesting it wasn't properly playtested? Have you played the game?

The AI alone puts to shame literally every multi-million$ computer game I've ever played. The game is a staggering accomplishment, not a HURFDURF, shoulda had more Q&A! [/end fanboydom]

*No CTD's, no game-breaking bugs, no getting stuck in the scenery

I also applaud the effort - making an indie game is hard, and he made a good one, and is nicely supporting it and making fan-based changes as well!

Lol @ those who are interpreting frequent updates as shame on the developer. You do play major commercial games, right? Then you experience plenty of bugs which are not addressed nearly as quickly or at all.

Just to make it perfectly clear: I have the deepest respect for *anyone* that manages to actually release a game that they made as an indie product. Be it a RPG, or even a well-done Tetris clone - getting to the finish line in a game development process is hard and a great achievement. And giving great support for the game afterwards is also really impressive.

But also - because it *is* an indie product we're also likely to (and rightfully so) cut the guy some slack.

That's why I found the original comment a bit funny: "This game really put commercial companies to shame regarding releasing patches...."

If a game like, say, Dragon Age is released and Bioware then goes on to release fourteen(!!) patches to the game in the first month then I'm guessing no-one will call it great support. They'll call the game a bloody mess...

Anyway, I can see how my first post could seem a bit harsh. That was not really the intention... it was more a comment to the jab at commercial game studios..

This game really puts commercial companies to shame regarding releasing patches.

"If a game like, say, Dragon Age is released and Bioware then goes on to release fourteen(!!) patches to the game in the first month then I'm guessing no-one will call it great support. They'll call the game a bloody mess..."

Yes that is true but I might disagree with those who say that, depending upon the circumstances. If the game crashes or there are areas where you just get stuck or the game is otherwise a mess then it's a mess but if a company releases a bunch of quick patches to address minor issues I call that a positive.

To me it doesn't depend upon whether the release is commercial or indie, if I paid a certain amount for a game then I want my money's worth and the mere existence of umpteen patches doesn't in itself negatively impact that and in this specific case it is a positive impact since the game isn't at all a mess and these patches are showing support and dedication which is what many companies don't show (and many do).

P.S. Every single patch allows continuation of saved games, and since none of the issues addressed have been game-breakers (most of them were completely unknown to me), it's been seamless the whole way.

I've been playing it too, and wish I would have known I could have teleported out of the Orc Stronghold :) That said, after leaving the orcs behind the game seems to have gotten a lot easier. Once I learned that wands are the be-all-end-all to playing through the game, very few combats are challenging. Guard with tanks, heal with cleric, and kill everything with wizard. The fighters accidentally get a few kills too, which keeps them happy. Crafting other stuff than wands is fun, but not really necessary. If I play through it a second time, I may just skip knights and go with 3 clerics and a wizard.

I should add a caveat: I have no idea how far I am through the game. I'm guessing a little over halfway because I'm level 12 already. I'm inside a place with hill giants at the moment.

@crpgnut, I saw your comments at the HeroicFantasyGames site about other "stuff" (stealth, dialogue, other non-combat activities). I'm only about to start the Orc stronghold...how are you enjoying it, given the focus doesn't really align with your preferences?

I think that's both harsh and probably inaccurate. Every game has bugs, even the major releases. BlueSalamander obviously doesn't have the resources of a commercial compatibility lab but the bug list still seems pretty reasonable to me- and at least he is being very reactive.

I'm not knocking it for an indy release, but to say that it puts commercial companies to shame is just ridiculous - if bugs can be discovered and fixed this quickly with the limited resources then there's no reason to expect they would be at all present in a commercial game, or that if they were people would scream about the lack of polish and/or deliberate post release content holding back - see the arguments against DLC for example.

To allow the guy some slack is absolutely fine - I'm for that as well, but to claim it's somehow better than a commercial release because of the multitude of quick to discover/fix bugs and features is just daft.

No, it isn't ridiculous. A big part of the patches has been feature additions and improvements, not just bugs. And the bugs haven't been particularly major ones. The praise is for addressing the fonts issue and improving the UI so quickly. If you want to argue the original font should never have been used, fine - but that's a different argument.

You pick a major RPG release and I'll show you the ridiculous bugs they should have fixed before shipping.

@Dhruin, I'm enjoying it, but it's really limited outside of combat. There are a few secret doors scattered about, and crafting is a MUST to survive the orc stronghold. Wand crafting has been my most used ability outside of combat. The game still boils down to the classic AD&D formula: protect the wizard while he lays waste to the enemies. I'd say wizzy is taking about 80% of all kills. He still needs the occasional helping hand against SR types of monsters though.

I will say this, the game is much easier than I thought it'd be once you get used to setting up for the fights. One thing that irks me is you can never prepare for an expected battle. No blesses, prayers, stoneskin, etc., until you're actually in combat. This was a hideously dumb idea. Clerics are mostly useful for pre-battle buffing and they can't fulfill their purpose.

@crpgnut: If you're at the Hill Giant Fortress, I think it's a little early to write off the game as ridiculously easy. The game caps out at level 20. Also, you're the first person I've heard say that, anywhere.

In my games, the fighters have plenty of opportunity for killing, because I don't always get the initiative and the field is often either too large or too cramped to just lay waste with Ice Storm.

I'm glad there are no pre-combat buffs. I always found that bit tedious. I think it balances well with allowing off-the-cuff spellcasting and crafting away from town.

Back
Top Bottom