Fave Modern RPG?

GothicLena

Watcher
So I was wondering of the modern (3D) age of RPGs, which are the top favorites?

For me I'd have to say Deus Ex 1, Morrowind, Mass Effect and Witcher 1

close favorites are Dragon Age 2, Fallout NV and Gothic 2

Dragon Age: Origins wins for me. NWNII is probably second, I have to say tho in hindsight the Elder Scrolls games have probably drained more of my time than all of them combined, but they more bring out the obsessive in me more than anything. I'm more a thrall to Elder Scrolls games than a player

Gothic definitely made a mark on me, but Gothic II was the first game that spanked me so hard a quarter way thru that i lost the will to fight and I never went back. I need to go back and try that again someday when I get a couple more points in fortitude

Vampire BLoodlines is definitely worth a mention as well, and Witcher is the only one of all them Ive played thru twice.... these lists are tough... = \

Dragon Age: Origins wins for me. NWNII is probably second, I have to say tho in hindsight the Elder Scrolls games have probably drained more of my time than all of them combined, but they more bring out the obsessive in me more than anything. I'm more a thrall to Elder Scrolls games than a player

Gothic definitely made a mark on me, but Gothic II was the first game that spanked me so hard a quarter way thru that i lost the will to fight and I never went back. I need to go back and try that again someday when I get a couple more points in fortitude

Vampire BLoodlines is definitely worth a mention as well, and Witcher is the only one of all them Ive played thru twice…. these lists are tough… = \

heh I know what you mean, Vampire Bloodlines is nearest and dearest to my heart (I LOVE VtM, even did PnP for it), but I just cant call it a favorite as much as I want to. It was more a FPS Shooter in my opinion then a RPG

So how far back does modern/3D go? Do you mean 'true' 3D (with 3D models) only or do 3D surroundings with 2D sprites count as well?
I haven't played too many cRPGs over the last few years, but my true 3D favorites would be Morrowind, the Gothics and Risen, and I recently finished ME which I also liked a lot. Deus Ex was fun, too, but I preferred System Shock (the first one, which is not true 3D in any way).

Morrowind, Gothic 1 and 2, The Witcher, KOTOR, DA:O, G3 (CP), Risen - loosely in that order
TW2 seems set to get a spot pretty high on this list, atm.

Risen and the Gothics. And no, I do not count Arcania as being a Gothic game. :p

I have absolutely no love for the Elder Scrolls, sorry.

If we count all 3D RPGs then I'll have to say Gothic 1, but there are lots and lots of good ones. NWN1 (better than the sequel if you go beyond the crappy OC), Morrowind, Gothic 2, Kotor1/2, Dragon Age, Gothic 3 (controversial:p), Risen, Alpha Protocol, Mass Effect 1/2, Fallout 3, The Witcher… Feck, I even have a backlog of decent titles in The Witcher 2 and Fallout New Vegas…

Drawing the "modern" line at 2006 or so I'd probably pick Gothic 3 or Alpha Protocol, with Dragon Age just behind. These games are quirky but I enjoyed them immensely:)

Last edited:
Well, if I had to pick just one game, it would be Gothic 2. G2 gave me that same awe-inspired experience that I last had with U7 waaaay back in the early 90s.

I'd say Neverwinter I and II, Morrowind, and Dragon Age: Origins.

Gothic 2, Deus Ex 1, Vampire: Bloodlines, and Arcanum being close runner-ups. :)

Honestly, Mass Effect 1 and 2. Followed by VtMB, Deus ex, VtMR, Dragon Age:Origins, Risen, the Witcher, in this order.

I'd have to say Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga. I hadn't had that much fun with an RPG in years, plus the voice acting was the best I'd ever heard recently. You wanted to listen to every line of dialog, quip, and additional lines NPCs said when walking by. And after certain points during the story, many NPCs had something new to say…it was awesome!

I'd have to say Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga. I hadn't had that much fun with an RPG in years,

I agree, DKS is an awesome game and I really enjoyed playing it. But there were a few design choices that really took away that feeling of living in a fully realized world -

- No day/night cycle (but lots of lore in the game talking about night time...)
- A rather disjointed gameworld
- Certain areas locked away once you progress the story to a certain point
- Extremely limited movement in dragon form

If the above 4 items weren't the case, DKS would be my modern day number one over G2.

Definately G1, G2 NOTR and Risen at the top of my list followed by in no specific order. Divinty II, Venetica, Witcher and G3 Patched.

not sure what u mean by modern - but I don't consider arcanum modern game as mentioned by others but I did love it. my choices in no order would be Morrowind, KOTOR, Witcher, NWN1, divine divinity and Two Worlds. I am very far behind in games so I know a lot of great games are missing.

I'm a fan of Drakensang 2 and will remain so. :p

So top Nr. 1 is Drakensang 2 for me, personally :p

Apart from that I haven't played too many "modern" RPG to really be able to have a "modern fav. RPG" list.

Well, Gothic 1 made the biggest impact, but I still consider G2 NotR an overall better game. My favourite 3D RPG is certainly one of those two.

Beyond that, I also like Dragon Age a lot (Origins + Awakening), as well as NWN2 (including all add-ons).

Finally, I'd actually like to mention Mass Effect. I simply love it. The setting, characters, story. It really blew me away when I first played it. Unfortunately, ME2 never had the same effect.

Unfortunately, ME2 never had the same effect.
While I really liked the ME2 story and most of the characters (and was delighted to get the armor designer ^^), I was a bit underwhelmed by the ore digging minigame. But (and that's a big but) ME2 had Jack who quickly turned into one of my favorite NPCs ever, and being able to
bed Garrus
forced me to replay both games with a FemShepard. Couldn't pass up this chance, could I?
So, well, I'm not too sure which one I liked better. Overall game mechanics of the first one, characters of the second one.

Back
Top Bottom