Bard's Tale IV - New Screenshot

The original Bard's Tale I think was first RPG I ever played so it holds a special place. Certainly the first I finished and how I learned what a hex/disk editor was and how it could be used for cheating. Good times hope it doesn't crush my rose tinted glasses.

One of the last kickstarters I backed before giving up on the platform. 22/32 have at least give me a steam key. Honestly stopped following most activity over past year and sort of hoping this one will pan out in next year or so.

This seems to have been in development quite a while. Is there a release date?

Personally, I never thought BT4 needed that kind of visuals. Here's hoping it's indicative of the quality of the rest of the game, though I remain sceptical.

Personally, I never thought BT4 needed that kind of visuals. Here's hoping it's indicative of the quality of the rest of the game, though I remain sceptical.

Brian thinks that since it's a first-person dungeon crawler, you can really go in heavy with the graphical elements of the game, since you don't have to render large landscapes and it's a pretty limited view, etc.. So this game should have some really nice graphics and effects, and the few videos that came out already did look really nice.

Brian thinks that since it's a first-person dungeon crawler, you can really go in heavy with the graphical elements of the game, since you don't have to render large landscapes and it's a pretty limited view, etc.. So this game should have some really nice graphics and effects, and the few videos that came out already did look really nice.

Oh, I don't mind pretty visuals - I love them. I just worry the emphasis is in the wrong place.

We'll see.

Oh, I don't mind pretty visuals - I love them. I just worry the emphasis is in the wrong place.

We'll see.

I can see where he's coming from, though. I think the game is kind of a tough sell either way, but at least with pretty graphix it might attract some newer players, etc..

Combat looked good, like Lords of Xulima and then some. Not sure about the dungeon design, hoping it's varied and interesting, we will see.

InXile also puts out the most hardcore CRPGs out of the current crop of Kickstarter Era devs, IMO, so I don't think the gameplay will be lacking.

It will be interesting to see how it is all put together. This is one of my most anticipated titles actually.

I can see where he's coming from, though. I think the game is kind of a tough sell either way, but at least with pretty graphix it might attract some newer players, etc…

A tough sell? Isn't it crowd-funded?

But you're right, great visuals will definitely help sell the game. That's my primary source of concern - because of what this level of visuals in a low-budget title seems to say about their priorities.

But that's neither here nor there. I have nothing solid to base this on, it's just a feeling based on experience with games that focus on visuals to this extent, considering the budget.

It's not just to sell the game. It's because there are unused resources in a first-person 'crawler. They don't have to render massive environments, so the small environment that is there can be cranked up graphically. It's one area where Brian feels these type of 'crawlers have not really explored recently.

I'm not worried about gameplay, InXile is good money there.

It's not just to sell the game. It's because there are unused resources in a first-person 'crawler. They don't have to render massive environments, so the small environment that is there can be cranked up graphically. It's one area where Brian feels these type of 'crawlers have not really explored recently.

I'm not worried about gameplay, InXile is good money there.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying :) It's not about what can be rendered - it's about the emphasis on high-quality visuals.

Personally, I think Vaporum and Grimrock both looked great - and wouldn't particularly benefit from going further than that. To each his own though.

Anyway, there's no reason to argue just to argue.

The game will tell all :)

Looks great.

A tough sell? Isn't it crowd-funded?

But you're right, great visuals will definitely help sell the game. That's my primary source of concern - because of what this level of visuals in a low-budget title seems to say about their priorities.

But that's neither here nor there. I have nothing solid to base this on, it's just a feeling based on experience with games that focus on visuals to this extent, considering the budget.
It was crowd funded but it didn't get a lot of money. I am pretty sure Fargo will have invested at least 3 or 4x more than what they originally got.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying :) It's not about what can be rendered - it's about the emphasis on high-quality visuals.

Personally, I think Vaporum and Grimrock both looked great - and wouldn't particularly benefit from going further than that. To each his own though.

Anyway, there's no reason to argue just to argue.

The game will tell all :)

I know what you are saying. I was responding to your "yes, it will help sell the game" comment. The attention in that area is not *just* to sell the game. Brian believes it's an area they can go in on. Just clearing that up on my end.

If it comes at the cost of the rest of the game, we will see. I understand that's what you're getting at. So yes, we will just have to wait and see.

The combat at least looked pretty interesting in the videos I've seen, the world beautiful and the presentation great for a game like this.

My biggest concern will be the dungeon designs themselves. I hope the overall amount of visuals and overall "game" will vary enough from dungeon to dungeon. Elminage Gothic, while a miniscule budget 'crawler and not exactly an example of great graphics (although the enemy designs are killer :) ), made sure each dungeon not only presented a different, if basic, visual look, but also different elements that made each dungeon unique. One dungeon may have wind tunnels that you have to figure out, or an underwater area where your party can drown, ice floors that made you slide across tiles and you had to navigate them, etc.. Different, well-fleshed out gimmicks in each dungeon, essentially. So I'm really interested in how BT IV makes each dungeon unique.

Pretty sure I have an interview posted here from a year ago with them. I also sent a second set of questions, but haven't heard back on those.

Can't say that screenshot does much for me. A fairly average Unreal 4 scene, and the lighting is very weird, like the white balance and gamma are way off.

Yeah, I didn't see anything special in those graphics either. Many indie games look just as good. I agree that this seems to be taking forever, also.

I don't expect much from InXile anymore. If it comes out it will and if it is shitty... meh.
I still have the feeling they need kickstarters for new games to finance the old kickstarted ones.

Yeah, I didn't see anything special in those graphics either. Many indie games look just as good. I agree that this seems to be taking forever, also.

You guys have a very weird view on forever...this was backed in june 2015....games take a bit of time to make.

The video walkthrough they posted awhile back was pretty. Prettier than the screenshot. And presumably the game will look much nicer by release.

Back
Top Bottom