I am completely devastated, I dont know if I can try anymore.

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor
A little back ground. First my dads kidneys exploded and my mom gave a kidney to him. Then my dad had an accident and is basically quadraplegic from 6 years ago. Recently someone went overseas and came back carrying tuberculosis and gave it to my dad. My dad is really struggling now with the medicine he has to take for 12 months or so. My mom has told me the reality that my dad might die in a few years and that she might die a few years after that.

I have had mental illness all my life and now as it is treated fairly well, I was trying to start a life for myself and put myself to be in a position out of welfare. But I dont feel that desire any more, I have never really cared about myself, it was never in me. But I cared for how my family felt, specifically how my parents felt. I wanted them to be happy when i finally achieve something, I dont think that is a possibility anymore. I am in a void now, I am having thoughts of "why even try?", "why not just be on welfare for the rest of your life?". I would probably not even care if someone kills me at this point, it would be a relief.

I dunno, I just dunno.

A little back ground. First my dads kidneys exploded and my mom gave a kidney to him. Then my dad had an accident and is basically quadraplegic from 6 years ago. Recently someone went overseas and came back carrying tuberculosis and gave it to my dad. My dad is really struggling now with the medicine he has to take for 12 months or so. My mom has told me the reality that my dad might die in a few years and that she might die a few years after that.

I have had mental illness all my life and now as it is treated fairly well, I was trying to start a life for myself and put myself to be in a position out of welfare. But I dont feel that desire any more, I have never really cared about myself, it was never in me. But I cared for how my family felt, specifically how my parents felt. I wanted them to be happy when i finally achieve something, I dont think that is a possibility anymore. I am in a void now, I am having thoughts of "why even try?", "why not just be on welfare for the rest of your life?". I would probably not even care if someone kills me at this point, it would be a relief.

I dunno, I just dunno.

Hi. I can't say that I know exactly what you're going through, because I can't. But I have been through dark depressing times myself, due to an issue I've been dealing with all my life. And still am dealing with every day. Some periods are very positive, some get very dark.

But the one thing that I've noticed is that, time and time again, the darkest periods have a way of twisting my perception of reality, giving me tunnel vision as to what is the point of struggling, of going on. And when I get past those dark periods I realize again and again, the sheer power of that tunnel vision to make me feel hopeless. This, time and time again, and it might seem obvious that it does, re-enforces how subjective everything is in the now.

Another thing which I've realized is that, when ending life, pain doesn't just go away, it re-distributes itself to those that care for us.

So, given all of this, I've decided some time ago, my purpose/direction/reasoning in life is to try and maximize pleasureful experiences, minimize painful ones while always trying to, in the least, cause a minimum of harm to others's presence on this Earth. Life can be very nice, and life can be very dark at times. The one thing I've decided is I would not make decisions when in an emotionally impaired state.

Of course, this is all for myself. And it would be condescending of me to force my thought process on you. You will need to figure out your own I guess. All the best.

Hi. I can't say that I know exactly what you're going through, because I can't. But I have been through dark depressing times myself, due to an issue I've been dealing with all my life. And still am dealing with every day. Some periods are very positive, some get very dark.

But the one thing that I've noticed is that, time and time again, the darkest periods have a way of twisting my perception of reality, giving me tunnel vision as to what is the point of struggling, of going on. And when I get past those dark periods I realize again and again, the sheer power of that tunnel vision to make me feel hopeless. This, time and time again, and it might seem obvious that it does, re-enforces how subjective everything is in the now.

Another thing which I've realized is that, when ending life, pain doesn't just go away, it re-distributes itself to those that care for us.

So, given all of this, I've decided some time ago, my purpose/direction/reasoning in life is to try and maximize pleasureful experiences, minimize painful ones while always trying to, in the least, cause a minimum of harm to others's presence on this Earth. Life can be very nice, and life can be very dark at times. The one thing I've decided is I would not make decisions when in an emotionally impaired state.

Of course, this is all for myself. And it would be condescending of me to force my thought process on you. You will need to figure out your own I guess. All the best.

I can understand where you are coming from. Its just hard to look outside the tunnel at the moment.

I can understand where you are coming from. Its just hard to look outside the tunnel at the moment.

Yes, I very much understand that it is. The only thing I can say is that given enough time, the tunnel should widen into a clearing. As cliche as it might sound. I hope you pull through.

As usual when things seem like worth nothing I suggest changing your life habbits.
Go for a coffee somewhere you've never been before, sit on a bar chair and meet someone new - that's just an example.
Don't buy pets and don't start smoking - you'll never get rid of those so just don't start. Avoid driving, wherever you go, go on foot and study surroundings with your eyes, ears and nose. Say hi to everyone, even strangers.

I'm not in your position and can only suspect what you're living through (and lived through), but when life gets dull, even walking through a different street than usual can be an eyeopener.

Some things you can't change, those will happen one way or another. So what? There is so much awesomeness out there, stuff that begs to be discovered, yet you closed yourself inside a depressive prison instead of giving the world a chance.
Yes, you can try. The question here is only, will you.

As usual when things seem like worth nothing I suggest changing your life habbits.
Go for a coffee somewhere you've never been before, sit on a bar chair and meet someone new - that's just an example.
Don't buy pets and don't start smoking - you'll never get rid of those so just don't start. Avoid driving, wherever you go, go on foot and study surroundings with your eyes, ears and nose. Say hi to everyone, even strangers.

I'm not in your position and can only suspect what you're living through (and lived through), but when life gets dull, even walking through a different street than usual can be an eyeopener.

Some things you can't change, those will happen one way or another. So what? There is so much awesomeness out there, stuff that begs to be discovered, yet you closed yourself inside a depressive prison instead of giving the world a chance.
Yes, you can try. The question here is only, will you.

Problem is that I have really only tried to do anything at all is for my parents, because i truly respect them and love them. I have never really cared about myself or my desires really other then for a few seconds at a time. I really dont like or want to be the centre of my world if that makes sense.

I strongly agree with joxer's recommendation =-- get out; walk; look at the world and people. Will add one more thing.

Helping people. Helping people. I have met a very special sensei -- teacher -- who actually can heal people -- I never believed this was possible (I am science and legal oriented) until I met him -- but long story short --he says over and over and over that if you help people, in any way, just spend your time helping others -- then the spiritual will take care of you. Life will take care of you.

Helping others. That is the secret and the truth. Help others in any way possible. little or big. Devote your time and life to helping others. Things will get better and work out for you and others you love and help. Helping others.

__

Your help and support to your parents is admirable and worthy of praise. This only reflects your good nature and shows how important you are. I am sure your parents are happy with you and only want to see you doing well in life and be happy.

Life in general is very precious and you are precious - this void that you might feel can be filled by recognising the right you have to yourself. Your well being will help you and enable you to use your energy, skills and whatever knowledge you have to make good for yourself and others. That is why you are important.

There are many possibilities that we sometimes don't see, and with pressure there is always relief that will come soon - it is a big transition in your life that need adapting, so give it time, and remember you have a right to yourself.

It also helps if you have other family members to get in touch with for support and comfort.

I hope that you will pull through, and wish you and your parents all the best.

I took a long hot shower now and thought about things. And I have come to a similar conclusion to what you guys are saying here. Initially I was thinking about how being a provider is so important in a males life but since I am too old to find someone compatible with me without the risk of a bad break up resulting in being in a worse position than I was in before. So i thought laterally and i thought, there is a christian nursing home near me, I could go help out a few hours a week would give my life meaning and some hope. What do you guys think?

Let me tell you just a little more about Sensei.

When I met him in a small group -- he said for everyone to ask questions. He's eighty something years old btw--

So I asked the hardest question I think ppossible -- and got the most surprising answer I think possible.

I asked the question I see floating around with other people -- I see it on the internet -- and I've heard various forms of it from others I know and admire.

Why does God allow bad things to happen to good people or to innocents?

Why do bad things happen to good people?

Sensei never hesitated. He said tp me, "Why do you think you know what bad is?" he said. "What you think is bad might npot be bad at all. You do not know -- have not learned -- everything about the spiritual world. No one has"

He says that when we die -- some of us -- the bravest and good spirits -- choose to return and live again -- and purify our spirits further. Often the returning spirrits choose suffering -- befor being born again in order to pruify our spirits and grow further and make up for past karma events. The suffering is by choice for spiritual growth and purification. What looks bad to us can be good...

So we live to purify our spirits.

Sensei was a Buddhist Priest for over twenty years and then left. He said the organization was so much bureaucracy -- he believes in the teachings and truths but not the bureaucratic organization. (every now and then some Buddhiist monks demonstrate against him.

Help others. He says this over and over again. Help people. It is, he says, the central teaching of many true religions and cultures. It is all the same. Help other people.

Best fortune and spiritual connections to you Damian. Help others. The spiritual whole will help you.

The nursing home is probably something that will help you and them too.
__

The suffering is by choice for spiritual growth and purification. What looks bad to us can be good…

A similar thing I have learned in Christianity. All trials, ie bad events which includes all suffering, is an opportunity to grow and help others. An example story that illustrates this:

Adele is one of the most remarkable women that I’ve ever met. Let me tell you her story. Pastor Rugelinyange, my host, said to me, “Pastor Mark, I want to take you to a woman who is so remarkable that you will be deeply impressed for the rest of your life with her story.Her husband was a pastor. He was brutally murdered, massacred, macheted to death before her eyes. And the story that she will tell you will change your life.”So we traveled on rough roads over ravines out to a little African village. As I entered Adele’s home, I noted the picture of her pastor husband on the wall. I stood there for a few moments looking at thepicture. And then I sat down and Adele and I made small talk. And then I said, “Adele, I know your husband was brutally killed, would you like to share his story with me?” And with a tear in her eye and her lips quivering, she began to share the story.She shared how the rebels came closer and closer to her village. She and her husband fled into a Catholic church. The rebels entered that church.

Adele thought they would find sanctuary there, they did not. As the rebels came in, they began screaming for the pastor to stand up. Nobody stood. They continued to scream because they were going to kill all the community leaders first.The pastor stood. And the rebels ran and began to flay at his body with the machete. They struck him again and again and again.

Finally, his throat was cut and blood was spurting from his body and he was breathing his last, praying for those who killed him. Adele began to scream and in that melee, in that confusion, 45 people were slain, and 15 fled. And as Adele told me the story, she pulled back her black hair and I saw a scar across her forehead, a scar that went deeply into her skull.

They had run at her with machetes, and she was left on the floor for dead. She had a large scar on her head. She had scars on her back, and her wrist was partially chopped off.For three days, Adele lay among the dead bodies. Her heart was faintly beating. When the towns people came to bury the dead, they found Adele lying there.

They picked her up in their arms, and they bathed her wounds. They brought her to the hospital. By now the rebel leaders had moved on .It took three years, but Adele recovered. And she began to think, “I can be a bitter, angry, resentful old woman, but I’m not going to do that. I’m going to go into the prisons and minister to the murderers.”There was one prison not far from her house and Adele became known as the mother of that prison.She brought in food. She brought in clothing. She ministered lovingly to the prisoners.

She told me, “Pastor Mark, one day a young man named Luis fell at my feet and he was weeping and kissing my feet. And as I looked down at his face, I saw that he was the young man who rushed in with the machete and killed my husband. He was the young man who put this scar on my head. And he looked up and me and said, "Adele, would you forgive me?’ I pulled him up and I embraced him and said, 'In the name of Jesus, I will forgive you.’”She continued, “Pastor Mark, my heart was racing, but I knew that Christ had forgiven me and that I could forgive this murderer. I began studying the Bible with prisoners, and Luis came to the Bible studies. He made a decision that he would follow Jesus and be baptized.

But he said, ? Before I’m baptized, I want to stand before the prison publicly and ask you, Adele, for your forgiveness.’”On the day of his baptism, he stood with Adele and said, “Adele, I brutally murdered your husband. I put a knife mark, a machete scar, on your head, will you forgive me?” She said, “Before those prisoners, before he was baptized, I forgave him. My son took his father’s death so hard. And Luis said, "I want to talk to your son.’ And my son went to his cell. And Luis said, "I want you to forgive me.’”“Luis became a model prisoner.

The grace of Christ was flowing through his life. He was a new young man. After three years, the government let him out of prison for good behavior. But he had no place to live because Luis had his father and mother murdered in the genocide.

”“And I said, 'Luis, you come and I’ll adopt you as my son.’ And for the last couple of years, he has been living in my home. Pastor Mark, would you like to meet Luis?”I tell you, friend, there was a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes as Luis walked into the room and Adele embraced him and said, “He is my adopted son today.

”I’ve thought so many times in my life that maybe I’ve been mistreated. So many times in my life people have said something and I’ve gotten upset. So many times in my life people have done a little thing and I’ve been angry. And I thought of Adele, how she could reach out in such a loving forgiveness?If there is somebody that has hurt you today and wounded you, in the spirit of Jesus, you, too, can forgive them.The lesson of Rwanda is the lesson of a nation learning to forgive, because Jesus has forgiven them.

The woman had her husband killed and nearly killed herself by this young man but she chose to adopt him as her son after getting him out of jail. So even in my religion there is truth to what you say.

I think that helping in the nursing home is a good start, to interact with others, your worries diluted and shared with others, keep active, and to give you time to think about opportunities and what you would like to do next.

That was lovely Damian.

There still are special people in this world.

We are all part of the same thing -- a multi-cellular organization of spiritual cells.

All the best to you.

__

The one thing I've decided is I would not make decisions when in an emotionally impaired state.

Rarely is there a silver bullet fix over text on a screen. I wish there was something we could say that could fix it but its not likely.

Heartily recommend following the above quote. Its a terrible idea to make decisions when you know you are not in the best place.

I do suggest you get outside and meet living breathing people. Whether its at a coffee shop, local artist, a library, a book store, car show, gun show, a free local event, the soup kitchen, thrift store... anything. Everyone thinks their personal brand of trial is unique but that is unlikely as well. There are plenty of people out there that feel the exact same way and are looking for someone else to connect with. It does start with coming into contact with them and saying hello. Just having contact can start an attitude change even without saying a word of how you feel.

Life is short enough. Its shorter and harder without human connections.

Gosh… I don't know what to say… I'm sorry to hear you are going through such tough time.

Life IS tough, especially for you right now but I believe there is no life that's all terrible/bad. I also went through some tough time (and will again in future for sure) when things looked more negative than it is due to mental exhaustion. But I also remember the time when I was lying on an operating theater thinking why didn't I make more out of my life when I had a chance, realising there are more goods in my life than I care to think normally.

Maybe first thing is to slowly drive out negatives in your mind. Go for a walk, clear your head. Think about what you want to do, no matter how small it is. Make a list. Pursue these things one by one. Appreciate small things we usually take for granted.

Sorry, I am not good at giving comfort/advice but couldn't just go away without saying something. I sincerely hope you will make through this tough time and start to see the joys of life again.

I'm sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. Quite the story and thank you for sharing. I will definitely be praying for you. I would recommend the the book of Job - a story older than the Torah. No matter how terrible life can be sometimes, God is still on the throne.

Last year my brother died suddenly. He was 47 years old and he just got married for the first time to a very nice girl. This is probably the most horrible thing to happen to our family. But suddenly his wife, my new sister in law, has become the most important member of our family. And my oldest brother, just last weekend, married his long time girlfriend.

Remember the words of Joseph to his brothers, who had him sold into slavery where he was in prison for 20 years
Genesis 50:20 said:
But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.

Because of his special gifts Joseph (of the coat of many colors fame) predicted a famine coming to Egypt so Pharaoh made him governor and had grain set aside for its coming. In doing so he saved many people including and especially his own family.

Yeah, I have decided to keep trying despite probably not having my parent when I accomplish something and will talk to people at the nursing home on Thursday when i have a clearer head.

Thanks for the encouragement guys and girls. This means a lot to me. :)

I dunno, I just dunno.

It's not healthy to live in the shadow of your parents, though. You can't put all your energy into things you have no control over.

As others have said, the best way to get a new perspective on life is to try new things. The emotional grip of depression is extremely tight - and I've been there myself many years ago. You feel like it will never end - and it's impossible to rationalise your way out of it.

That's why you shouldn't even try.

But it's very possible to get out of it - and it's usually a matter of time and "simply" not giving up or giving in.

Again, just get out and talk to people. Force your way out of the hole you're in - without thinking too much about it. It doesn't really matter what you do - as long as you DO something.

Don't try to think of reasons not to do it - and don't delay the process by trying to figure out what the best way might be. That can come later - while you're out there.

I took a long hot shower now and thought about things. And I have come to a similar conclusion to what you guys are saying here. Initially I was thinking about how being a provider is so important in a males life but since I am too old to find someone compatible with me without the risk of a bad break up resulting in being in a worse position than I was in before. So i thought laterally and i thought, there is a christian nursing home near me, I could go help out a few hours a week would give my life meaning and some hope. What do you guys think?

This is a great idea. Helping others is its own reward. It feels great, and can give a sence of satisfaction, accomplishment, and identity. It should definitely lift your spirits and improve your outlook.

Godspeed.

Sorry to hear about the ongoing problems your dad is facing, Damian. You have written about him before, I remember. It must have been quite a shock for you to hear your mother say the things she said, to be confronted with this bad news. You knew it of course, that parents usually die before their kids, but your mothers words made it all more real - to you - more pressing, more 'now'.

I also remember you writing about the difficult times you have had, facing the demands of life.

But look at you, Damian.
Your mothers words struck you like lightning. You were devastated. Broken.
And then… You asked us for help. You took a long shower. You read all the replies. You took the trouble of thinking about the suggestions. You are now making plans again. You'll go to the nursing home (yes, yes, great idea!) All that in a couple of hours!

So… have a little faith in yourself, Damain. There is a good force inside you that is pointing the way to the surface, out of the darkness, towards the light.
Try to rely on it - try to rely on yourself. You can do it. You ARE doing it. Step by step.

Little steps. Focus on the steps, the little things you can do this morning, this afternoon. Do not look at the monsters lurking in the horizon. Once you'll get there, they'll be smaller - and you'll be stronger. Have faith. You can do it.

Try to structure your day a bit. Perhaps making a schedule might help. So when you are feeling like an empty battery, routine will take over, and you'll perform the set tasks without too much trouble. Make a timetable: when to walk, when to clean, when to prepare your meals/when to eat, when to listen to music (with 100% attention).
Try to figure out if there are any courses/classes you could attend - learn something new. Put the searching time finding the right course in the timetable too.

Look at the small steps you have taken thus far, Damian. They're very worthwhile. They paid off, didn't they? You got more power and energy than you think, Damian! Just think small: focus on the steps you'll take today, tomorrow and the coming week.

You can do it. You can help others - try to help yourself too: be as kind and forgiving and resourceful in finding small activities for yourself as you'd be for your dearest friend.

I wish you all the best!

Back
Top Bottom