Wheel of Time.

Maylander
"It's got to do with Lohan, Spears"
Ahh, heard of them but never paid attention to them.

"I am a much bigger fan of WoT than LotR. Whitecloaks using angreals?"
Yeah, like I said Lucky Day's info is not accurate, only one can and it clearly is an exception, which is a small back story to a remote garrison.
To me often times it's the exceptions that make a most intresting stories, like the lore itself of each LotR and WoT were.

Hindukönig
"I played WoT and thought it to be a pretty lame shooter......"The cutscenes were ugly"
Seriously?
It was using the Unreal engine and released in 1999, which means they started the latest 1997, and looked amazing at the time, even decent, atm.
Sure cloaks are stiff, but hell at that time Nobody had flowing cloaks, iirc.
Could you name any game with better looking cutscenes, in 1999? :)
A shooter?
Why, cause you cast projectiles as a Mage, doesn't every Mage?
How is it different than other Mages are portrayed, beside the differnent canon?

"I'd rather play CyberMage"
Sounds like a good plan, though I am guessing your not playing CyberMage for the cutscenes. ;)

I was thinking of posting a link to a music track, what's a good share site RapidShare?

Could you name any game with better looking cutscenes, in 1999? :)
Final Fantasy XIII PC? But if we're talking about game-engine cutscenes from '99... personally, I preferred Kingpin's cutscenes to those of WoT because I really loved the visual style (and humor) of Kingpin.
IMO WoT had very nice graphics, yes (and thus, cutscenes); thinking about it, the Wheel of Time game reminds me - in hindsight - of DMoMM, from graphics down to gameplay.

Aclesius:
really? I could have sworn YOU could play as a WC and use t'angreals. I think you had to as the whole game was centered around them. I seem to recall the reasoning to be lame but its been years since I played it.

It wasn't like Jordan to allow liberties to be taken. He fought tooth and nail to prevent "paladins" in the WoT PnP game from WotC. It seems they really did want to make it an actual d20 game. He also fought the developers over the MMORPG when it was in production pointing out the stipulation on creative control on the contract. They not only gave in they were going to overhaul before they disappeared into oblivion. Finally, its also noted that RJ liked to send out cease and desist orders to any online RPG that used his characters.

definitely jaz, for it's time it had some really great graphics!

If I keep slating these old games for replay, I'm never going to get around to anything made after 2005!

Jaz
"Final Fantasy XIII PC?"
Hehe, did you really mean FF13 came out in 1999. ;)

"personally, I preferred Kingpin's cutscenes"
A very fun game, I guess the cutscenes were very good in a B movie kind of way. :)
I really don't think the quake engine even had voice sync back then.

Lucky Day
"really?"
Yes, I am 100% sure, as I am currently playing the game, a second time in the last week since I post this thread.
The fact that you can't even swing a fist or sword, when you run out of t'angreals (they don't respawn), makes it extremely challenging.

Now you could be thinking of the multiplayer mode where you can choose any skin, but that wouldn't be fair to criticize the single player game over in violating canon.

It seems very well explained and introduced, only the Commander of a remote garrison does this and he is the boss fight only, so you see him for less than a 2 min fight.
You hear his backstory in cutscenes and overheard conversations, it's about a childhood tragedy.

The only other unique WC was the questioner, has a Special Shield Attack (think boomerang) all other WC in the game were Archers or Swordsman, nothing else, nadda. :)

Doing my best not to spoiler it. ;)

Last edited:
Acleacius: Outcast, for example, had way better cutscenes. Not only optical, but also in telling the the story. I also find Thief worth to be mentioned, as the developers just found a simpler, yet more aesthetic style for their FMVs.
Of course, it's just IMHO. I played WoT later than 1999 and WoTs cutscenes just weren't my type.

Problem with CyberMage is, it just doesn't work on WinXP. Hmph.

Both very good games, Outcast is certainly the exception in games with use of Voxel engine and not sure I need to load Thief but I seem to remember it being visceral, gritty and stills, than an in game style movie.

You tried it with Dosbox, says it is supported? ;)
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list.php?showID=57&letter=c

Last edited:
Thief is from '98 (I think) so I didn't mention it, but hey, the still-type cutscenes are superb. And I meant FFVIII, of course (another '99 game) :p... time travel is none of my skills (pity).

Yes, 1998 and superb. :)
So much so, Thief is my next game after WoT, now that it has come up.
No make that the whole series, cause it's just that good. ;)

Jaz, I knew you played an like Heretic and Hexen series.
WoT, just seemed like a similar better looking setting, with a really deep story and characters. :)

Ok, here is a nice tune form WoT.
New to uploading and thought I was putting it on WoT page.
It seems to be on it's own page, so if anyone knows how I can add file to the WoT page at FileFront, let me know, maybe I need to be logged in as a member?

http://files.filefront.com/ForestForTheTreesmp3/;8612798;/fileinfo.html

WoT was a fun game, true that, but Heretic/Hexen are the No.s 1 on my list of fantasy-themed shooters, and I haven't found a worthy successor yet.

Jaz that's true Heretic/Hexen series were games I was weened on, so no way for me to deny there greatness, since I have a major soft spot for them. ;) I truly am mad at Raven turning into id lapdogs and giving up the great fantasy games they created. I remember with Human Head was formed with the ex Ravenites whom wanted to stay in fantasy making a very fun game Rune, that I guess didn't sell well enough, since they went on to make Prey for 3DRealms instead. :(

Here is a list of WoT games for sale, I saw in the more recent thread, Favorite NonRPG game, some were interested but couldn't find it, like Sorcha Ravenlock. :)
Seems to be one available for under $3 usd, if it actually works that's a steal.

http://www.amazon.com/Atari-04-17318-Wheel-of-Time/dp/B00001XDKL

Last edited:
Just installed and checked the thread, see the links to the music samples are dead. I can't recall which ones I had linked but here are four. I'm surprised atari hasn't put this up on Steam or GoG yet. I do see it on Amazon for between $9 and 15$ US, so at least it's reasonable. ;)
WoT Credits.mp3
WoT ForestForTheTrees.mp3
WoT Trouble.mp3
WoT WhiteTower.mp3

Edit: Late night grammar and spelling error fixes.

Last edited:
Wow, old topic!

So wasn't some company going to do a Wheel of Time movie and another game? I remember hearing about that a couple of years back but haven't heard anything since.

WoT has been optioned continuously - basically means someone is sitting on the rights until they can get someone to pony up some cash. At some point if none is found it reverts back to the owner.

Last I heard the Red Eagle comic book folk optioned WoT for Obsidian to use their content even though Red Eagle incurred the wrath of RJ himself just before he died.

With Game of Thrones being a successful cable miniseries there has been renewed speculation on WoT.

The final book is due in March. Quite frankly, I don't think the last book resolved much at all, so I'm not sure how it can be ending.

Like Lost I think there's going to be a lot of loose ends left unfinished.

Oh, I think quite a few loose ends will be wrapped up. You can deal with a lot in 1000 pages! The last book wrapped up quite a few, too. I'm sure there will still be some loose ends once it's all done but all the big ones should be dealt with.

WoT as a miniseries might just work. Well, "macroseries" might be a better term. Maybe even "megaseries." I've always had trouble believing so much content would have any real chance of getting boiled down into just a few movies.

Thanks for the info!

I'm in book 4, but daaaamn! Why are ALL the main characters acting like highschool teenagers? All women hate men and consider them confused brutes that couldn't find their feet without the help of a woman, and men are all constantly confused about how strange and difficult to understand all women are. Even women among themselves act like jealous little bitches that ridicule and gossip about men all the time, while men are constantly competing against each other or on some kind of selfish personal crusade. Sometimes I just want to SLAP THEM AROUND for a bit!

Even women among themselves act like jealous little bitches that ridicule and gossip about men all the time, while men are constantly competing against each other or on some kind of selfish personal crusade.

And this is different from real life how?

And this is different from real life how?

Wow. I would suggest surrounding yourself with some better people. Anyway, it's stereotypical to the extreme and one-sided. Most of Jordan's writing is one-sided and cardboard, really. He repeats so many phrases, it's unbearable.

Look at me. I'm doing the same as some other people did about George R. R. Martin. :D Oh well, I guess I had to vent. :p

Back
Top Bottom