"Nextgen" GPUs

w00t

Mr. Huang just said that the GTX 1080 will be faster than GTX 980s in SLI and also a whole lot faster than a TitanX (looked like ~40% according to a chart shown in the background).

That's pretty fucking impressive - IF TRUE! :)

But the show and Mr. Huang is pretty full of hype so who knows…

However, the GPU will be running at a whopping 2.1GHz(!) on air and the GDDR5X at over 5GHz so this might actually happen.

EDIT: OK, the 2.1GHz was OC which we will probably just see on custom cards. The official specs are here and it's "only" 1733MHz boost clock.

w00t #2: GTX 1080 is gonna be "only" $599 MSRP (GTX 1070 will be faster than a TitanX and $379) and coming out on May 27th.
Mr. Huang furthermore once again hyped up the 1080 to be 2x as fast as a TitanX and 3x as energy efficient (it has just a single 8-pin connector).

Last edited:
It sounds like the typical pre-release hype that precedes every new cycle of cards. I expect the actual performance increase to be about the same as previous cycles.

Mr. Huang furthermore once again hyped up the 1080 to be 2x as fast as a TitanX and 3x as energy efficient (it has just a single 8-pin connector).
Not just once - he said it over, and over, and over again.

Also, the 1070 will be June 10th.

Also, some guy named Tom was murdered just off screen.

Edit: what was a bit strange was that there will be special editions that are better for overclocking. Will that mean the others are locked down? Or what?

Not necessarily. First you need to be aware that NVIDIA is doing two things:
They are creating the Chips
And they are creating the reference cards.

So having a special edition could mean two things:
1. Some reference cards could be better than others
2. They test the chips for overclocking and charge these who got good results in the silicon lottery a little extra. In this case this additional price would also be taken to third party manufacturers.

That said, this seems to be a huge step. And I somewhat believe them.
And then there is the other thing: For VR (and multiple screen setups) these cards will also use new technology that only calculates one picture (one of the things where I wondered "why don't they do that?" in the past ^^) adding lots of efficiency on top of the already big performance boost.

So once you got one of the new cards, even the GTX 1070, you completely dwarf the previous generation in VR. This new screen mechanic alone is huge.

Edit: what was a bit strange was that there will be special editions that are better for overclocking. Will that mean the others are locked down? Or what?

Yep. Good question. I'm also wondering when cards with custom coolers from the board partners will be available (i.e. non-reference design) because they could probably easily push their cards beyond 2GHz, too (the demo card that was running at 2.1GHz was just getting to 67C on air so there is still quite a bit of OC headroom, especially with a better cooler like a TwinFrozer from MSI for example).

I am pretty sure of that. I mean it's not AMD we are talking about. :p

Now I am even more thrilled to see benchmarks and final prices in europe, to finally plan my next purchase. My GTX 260 from 2009 needs a replacement. ^^

I was just about to buy a GTX 970 but after reading this decided to wait. Boy am I glad I did! GTX-1070 here I go!

The whole business about projecting onto multiple planes was really interesting to me - even if they were having such an awful time with the presentation. It's a nice solution but I don't think it goes far enough. How about actually doing the projection onto a curved monitor? They do have curved monitors now plus, with VR monitors, I can set my monitor to be as curved as I want.

My GTX 260 from 2009 needs a replacement. ^^
Just a little!!

I'm pleased, too. I should only have to spend a few weeks trying to power my Rift with my old 780.

On specs, sorry, but: :drool:

GTX 1070 will be faster than a TitanX and $379) and coming out on May 27th

Say no more. I believe I won't see it here at that exact date, but TW3 replay is imminent and it just cries for this card!

Although I should wait for AMD's response... And I don't think it'll take months to see it.

I think the projection into a curved monitor can basically be done by the technology they have now. I mean the material is there. All they'd need to do now is to merge multiple of these "cams" together, not that differently than let's say adjusting a camera for one eye.
I mean I am not expert, but to me it seems like the foundation is there and curved monitors are something which could just be patched into the driver.

On specs, sorry, but: :drool:

Say no more. I believe I won't see it here at that exact date, but TW3 replay is imminent and it just cries for this card!

Although I should wait for AMD's response… And I don't think it'll take months to see it.

Probably not. But I expect that they will not scratch that. My guess is that they will offer cards for the new low segment. Like cards with the performance of a 970/980 for a much lower price.

That wouldn't be bad either. Not everyone can afford 980 and that way they'll be able to enjoy PC games the way those should be experienced.

I wish I had Fluent's energy to film some TW3 playthrough, encode it with something (handbrake?) that can pack any frequency then upload it as endless frames per second file to mock phones audience. :)

Just can't wait to see new games that'll (ab)use the power of these new cards.

On nvidia site there is a graph that states almost double performance in Tomb Raider 2 and 60% better performance in TW3 (scroll it down a bit) when GTX1080 is compared with GTX980:
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1080

PCGamer did a comprehensive report on upcoming cards:
http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-gtx-1080/

I'll copypaste one comment below that article:
Every game running at 144+fps, I'll take that.

Meanwhile on consoles:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nioh-on-ps4-1080p30-or-720p60-you-decide

xth_edit:
will someone please post something so I don't have to edit?
If someone didn't watch the stream but would like to see the whole hour and a few minutes long presentation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it3HVZMSBfY

Zotac already added 1080 in their catalogue:
https://www.zotac.com/product/graphics_card/geforce-gtx-1080

RIP wallets, but in less than month I guess there will be a flood of supercheap secondhand 960/970s on ebay.

Last edited:
Haha, I am normally going by the notification system via email, so I didn't see your edit until I, by accident looked at the thread again. ^^

Hadn't seen the graphs yet, but well…let's wait for more benchmarks from other sites. Also I'd like to know where the 1070 would be in there.

Not sure why it's listed on Zotacs page but it seems to be like this is more of a random entry showing "what exists" rather then what is sold. I mean they don't show their own card but a reference card, so…

Will wait for a gainward phantom 1070 anyways ;)

Although it doesn't seem like a great leap in technology deserving of all the hype it's getting, I'll still probably be buying the 1070. I currently use a 670gtx and, while it's plenty in most games, I've been itching to upgrade for a while now.

Last edited:
They managed to get me hyped. I'm seriously considering getting a 1080, some time after it releases and gets the proper testing and coverage by the everyone. If it all falls into place, and the claims that its better than 2 980s and one titan x still hold water, I'm seriously considering upgrading. I want to see Witcher 3 running buttersmooth at 2k. I also wonder how well my current system will do with the 1080. Anyway, we'll see.

What rest do you have for a system? In most cases it won't have a huge impact anyways. The times where it was worth upgrading your CPU every couple of years are over for a while. ^^

Last edited:
Yeah, it's 3D feature sounded pretty neat. The other thing they demoed there, didn't seem too impressive.
Also it needs to be implemented by the game you want to use it in. So you will probably not find it in many indie games with own engines.

Neat stuff, but to be honest, not many applications to use them. I mean even in reviews you wouldn't want to use it, as it gives an incorrect representation of the game.

What rest do you have for a system? In most cases it won't have a huge impact anyways. The times where it was worth upgrading your CPU every couple of years are over for a while. ^^

I've got a i7 4790K @ 4Ghz, 16 gigs ram with currently a 980 gtx. And the system can't run Witcher 3 with all on max @ 2560 x 1440 @ 60+ fps. It holds at about 45, with some features (like hairworks, hbao+, etc) disabled.

Btw, if I don't know if it was linked, but the nVidia event panel is still on twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/nvidia/v/64989878

Back
Top Bottom