4K? Meh, time to play games on 8K!

Multiple monitors for productivity is something else entirely. I would kill (not just anyone, but there are people I could conceivably kill) for more screen space when I'm doing game design.
Once the resolution gets better on those VR headsets we can have all the virtual monitors we want! <drool> (Actually, you can have them now if you're willing to deal with the pixels.)

1920x1200 @ GTX970 here.
A gaming world without antialiasing will be great, but it comes at performance cost at first. Still resolutions, where you cannot see pixels at a given distance to monitor, are of course a good thing.

Anti-aliasing has been extremely disappointing to me the last few years. Not only has it made very little progress, it's actually taken a step backwards in some ways.

AA was actually more effective in DirectX 9 than it's been in DirectX 10 & 11 because of the way those APIs render lighting. You can force just about any kind of AA in games using DX 9 or lower, but many techniques won't work at all in DX 10 and above.

On a different topic - What's the advantage of these new curved gaming monitors? Are they supposed to be more immersive in some way, and what's the reason?

I'm sure there's some science to it but I have a curved monitor and don't notice anything really special about it.

Well, if the graphics engine knows there's a curve then I suppose it could project the world onto that and get a bit less of the corner warping we see but most of that comes from trying to cram an 80 degree view into a panel taking up maybe 30 degrees.

One nice side effect of stereoscopic 3D is that the jaggies for each eye are in different places. 2X anti-aliasing will at least get rid of the funky patterns the jaggies can make so you don't really need anything beyond that.

Curved monitors might be more of a personal preference. There's some that argue that it helps with peripheral vision when you have a larger monitor, or it accounts for color/light correction when viewing the sides at an angle, or it helps with eye strain, or it's more immersive. The curve on my ultrawide is very subtle (I can view it like a TV from far and not notice the curve) but I don't think I would be lost if I didn't have the curve. Although mine is only 29". I could see the need for using a curved screen on a 34" ultrawide or bigger, just because of ridiculously wide they are, since it's like having a 2 monitor setup in one monitor. And in a 2 monitor setup, you'll most likely angle the far sides towards you.

4 radeon vega ! The problem will not be to only to cool the rig, but the whole room...I am only interested by this for future games in vr(pimax 8K comes to mind), there's absolutely zero reasons to buy that hardware to play XBOX one ports , indie rpgs and strategy games .

I have a 23" 1920x1080p monitor, but I usually do all my gaming in a 1600x900p window. The smaller size is just more comfortable. I have a second monitor too for when I need it, but it's usually turned off.

Back
Top Bottom